Zero

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Samantha

Zero

Post by Samantha »

After a few weeks of delay (ugh, what else is new, Samantha), I finally opened Zero, a text-based (media is located at the main domain) dedication for Miki Sayaka from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica! I had intended to finish this around the same time as Mami, who was my 1P1M site, but unfortunately I didn't have enough time.

On the bright side to the delay, though, is that I was able to respond to both awesome writing prompts from Bad Ass Bitches instead of just the August one!

I definitely didn't think I'd have so much to say about Sayaka. I'm relatively happy with the way it turned out, though! There is one inactive page because I got the idea right before I was about to open the site... So it'll be an update in the future.

Enjoy! : )
Mikari

Re: Zero

Post by Mikari »

This is awesome :D I really enjoyed the analysis and the thoughts you added about Sayaka and her development.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Thanks, Mikari!! <3
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Told you on Skype already but I love this! <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

What a stunning layout!! (As per usual. ;)) I have not read through the whole thing yet, but I'm certainly learning a lot about Sayaka from what I've read already. I always love your symbolism pages and this time is no exception. I also think the Weakness page is a great read. Nice work!
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Lovely, detailed analyses, all couched within such a pretty blue design! It's obvious how much you adore her character ^o^ Well done!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Awwwww, thank you everyone! ^///^ I'm glad people are enjoying it!
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Oh wow, that is such a great layout!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I love the layout so much!! D: Those colours!! :music:

I really like how early on you address and evaluate/criticize the relationship between Sayaka and Kyousuke, especially the way you point out the artificial opportunity for them to spend that much time together and Sayaka's dependence on him (rather than the other way around), which most likely does not accurately reflect the actual magnitude of her feelings for him as a person. aaah this section is so full of judging and original content and fleshes out so much of the character, rather than being a typical relationship page placed at the end of a shrine!

The mentions of stepping into Mami's footsteps and needing to be needed on the Justice page nicely build on the previous Wish page, too; the last part about her weapon is such a lovely way to wrap up the page, so that the reader comes away with the page being precisely about Sayaka's notion of justice (and how that is reflected in her fighting style and other elements) rather than just "Sayaka as a Magical Girl" (without clear theme).

The explanation regarding Sayaka's association with the (little) mermaid is very nicely laid out, and easy to understand! Up to this point, the depiction of her as a mermaid in source material and fandom hasn't been as clear to me because the elements of pain and sacrifice weren't addressed as clearly (yielding in favour to romantic love, which I don't think ought to be stressed as much), so I'm glad to finally understand it through your explanation. :>

Singling out Kyouko to further discuss what kind of character Sayaka is such a great idea (in comparison to the rest of the characters - especially Madoka!, who she probably shares the most screentime with - who are all featured on the same page), and then you even go one step further and unite her relationship to that rest under a common theme (how they each affect Sayaka negatively and positively) asjdl. That Mami section really leaves a deep impression by the way.

I am soooooooooo into having separate pages to explain the BAB prompts yoooo. :heart: It just gives one an additional opportunity/excuse to wrap up one's thoughts about a character in the context of a shrine. Or direct response to fan perception (the Weakness section) and of course I'm a huge fan of Symbolism sections!!

aah I'm sorry this got embarrassingly long, but I ADORE your shrines and the way you shrine so so so much, especially how you go about structuring them. :star: :heart: :heart: :heart: The way you write makes it very easy to understand what you're addressing while reliving important parts of the subject, and despite there being a lot of content in the source material, very little of your shrines is purely descriptive, and there's so much of your own well-articulated evaluation and interpretation in them. As for the evaluations themselves, you usually write them as part of the character as a whole, rather than as an isolated element of them, which leaves one with a strong overall impression of both shrine and subject. :star:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

@Nyx: Thank you! I'm so glad you like it. :)

@Lethe: OMG ;~; I cannot tell you how much your feedback means to me! I usually shrine kind of obscure subjects so I tend not to get detailed feedback about the content. Just, wow. I had to re-read it a second time for it all to sink in! I am seriously so honored to hear all of that from you because I adore your shrines as well! I worked really hard on Sayaka and I'm so happy to hear it not only made sense, but it was also enjoyable for someone. Thank you! <3