Layout Archives

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Mikari

Re: Layout Archives

Post by Mikari »

I used to post layouts at DA but someone told me they weren't allowed due to using screen shots and such but it would be fine for original layouts.
anon

Post by anon »

Mikari wrote:I used to post layouts at DA but someone told me they weren't allowed due to using screen shots and such but it would be fine for original layouts.
Wow, really? How else would you be able to post a layout up, though?
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

If its original or post it elsewhere I guess. But they don't keep that much of a close eye on things anyway.
anon

Post by anon »

Mikari wrote:If its original or post it elsewhere I guess. But they don't keep that much of a close eye on things anyway.
Oh, yeah, I definitely understand if it's "original", if you mean using content you have all rights to. It's because people who do stuff like manipulating official art or celebrity photos technically don't own the images they are using, so they're violating copyright. dA is pretty strict on that kind of stuff.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

You all inspired me to finally use the tumblr username I made for this purpose months ago and post some layouts. (I just realised I'm using the same layout as some of you - I'll change it when I'm in a mood to deal with tumblr layouts >.>)

I'm missing so many screenshots of layouts I liked. It makes me sad. D:
a spoony bard
anon

Post by anon »

It's awesome you're posting your layouts up! Hope you can recover some of the screenshots soon.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

Joe wrote:
Elysa wrote:I love this thread, it's so easy to stalk people's designs through layout archives, fufufu x3 I used to have one myself, but after switching domains I never got it back up. I've been thinking about building one again, though I might just display layouts I actually like instead of all of them :|a I do, however, keep a screenshot of everything on my laptop :3
Haha, same here! It's natural for people to feel they should only display their best work. ;) Screenshots on all layouts are also good for nostalgic purposes. Do you keep backups of your old layouts?
Yeah, they definitely are! I sometimes go through a bunch of screenshots and wonder how I was so much more creative before (or well, I'd like to think so) |D;; I do keep backups for layouts with their actual coding, in case I've used certain scripts or things I'd like to reuse in the future :> I've lost some after a harddrive crash though.
Vii

Post by Vii »

I have a layout archive as well, but with a stupid name! :D I'm old school, manually updating my archive. I'm still not sure if I want to jump on the bandwagon and tumblr it up or not, since I have a separate professional portfolio... but eh, my archive is already made and I'm just... so... lazy...

I lost any work I had before 2006 when both my web host and computer died. Sadfayce :(
searching for the starlight in the darkest skies.
a complex surface, laid out right before our eyes. everything makes sense, now that you are by my side.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Elysa wrote:
Joe wrote:
Elysa wrote:I love this thread, it's so easy to stalk people's designs through layout archives, fufufu x3 I used to have one myself, but after switching domains I never got it back up. I've been thinking about building one again, though I might just display layouts I actually like instead of all of them :|a I do, however, keep a screenshot of everything on my laptop :3
Haha, same here! It's natural for people to feel they should only display their best work. ;) Screenshots on all layouts are also good for nostalgic purposes. Do you keep backups of your old layouts?
Yeah, they definitely are! I sometimes go through a bunch of screenshots and wonder how I was so much more creative before (or well, I'd like to think so) |D;; I do keep backups for layouts with their actual coding, in case I've used certain scripts or things I'd like to reuse in the future :> I've lost some after a harddrive crash though.
I still about about 50 more screenshots of older layouts, but they just aren't very good, so I'm keeping them private, haha/ It's fun to look through and see how I've changed and hopefully improved. I also lost some (and some complete backups of sites that were offline) in my own Great Hard Drive Crash of 09. D:
a spoony bard
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Vii wrote:I have a layout archive as well, but with a stupid name! :D I'm old school, manually updating my archive. I'm still not sure if I want to jump on the bandwagon and tumblr it up or not, since I have a separate professional portfolio... but eh, my archive is already made and I'm just... so... lazy...

I lost any work I had before 2006 when both my web host and computer died. Sadfayce :(
Nothing wrong with old school! That is the way I'll do it if I ever get around to making a layout archive..
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.