CMS platforms

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
anon

CMS platforms

Post by anon »

With how web design has been changing over the decade, lots of people are using CMS (content management systems) to maintain their websites. For example, WordPress is a blogging platform, but a website can be built around it. I've seen people moving to use LiveJournal and tumblr as their own personal websites now.

Do you use CMS? Does using a CMS still count as a shrine, in your opinion? Has it changed anything?
Todd

Re: CMS platforms

Post by Todd »

I played with the idea of making a shrine through Wordpress, but I decided against it. My sites tend to go up, and then not get touched for long periods of time, so Wordpress would be more of a bother than convenience for me to utilize. Ensuring Wordpress stays updated so viruses don't sneak in, etc.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

There is no Site. There is only Blog. ASSIMILATE

Anyway, I don't think using a CMS changes anything. Personally I wouldn't use one for the type of site I'd usually build, but they might be good for some specialized needs?
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Nope, I don't use a CMS. I prefer doing things from scratch. As for whether or not it counts as a shrine it is hard to say considering the definition of a shrine seems to be a very broad subject or whatever (I can't think of the proper word for it).
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

I've been using a CMS for quite a while now with all my shrines (plus update blog, link directory and fanlisting collective) and I don't think that having one prevents a site from being a shrine. Although the definition of shrine is somewhat vague, a CMS is only a tool that doesn't affect the content.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

As long as the shrine content is still there, whatever tools you use for the job shouldn't matter.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't think it really changes much in the end. It's the content that defines the sites. It's like comparing a site made with Front page, Dream waver, etc. to one coded by hand. I feel that the hand coded sites are closer to the designer in a sense. I also find it both easier and faster to make things by typing the codes since I already know them, instead of clicking here and there and looking for the right option. It's easier to go straight to the source rather than work around an interface. However, the making of doesn't really define the type of site (ex. shrine or not).

Also when it comes to "lost of content" I more recently started to mentally picture archives which are kind of generic in design at times and often not even designed by the author who simply posts into their account. "Sites" are more personal and a big part of that to me is the design. Working around certain interfaces can limit that or turned it into a "modified template" which takes away from the originality. Although if it's just a script that isn't really visible on the design itself, something that's only there behind the scenes, then it's not really all that noticeable.

Personally, I don't see myself using those methods in the near future as I enjoy designing by hand coding and making new layouts in that way.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

I use wordpress for my "big" project shrines because its easy to edit.
aminuet .。. king
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

Kibumie wrote:I use wordpress for my "big" project shrines because its easy to edit.
I use Wordpress too :)
At the beginning I picked it to manage my link directory because I couldn't find a "normal" script with all the features I needed. I had previously used Wordpress as a blogging platform several times, it wasn't until I began to work on my Shuyin shrine that I decided to try using it as a CMS.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Like many others, I do not believe it really changes anything. I think the only thing it really changes is that it makes content a little easier to manage for those who may not know how or have a lot of sites or content. I break my sites up into smaller projects, I definitely don't have extensive shrines as some of the other members here, so I can't fathom what I would need CMS for. However, I see it a a great organization tool.

For me it also boils down to the idea that I learned to do it a specific way so I don't see myself changing the method I use. If others find it helpful and create more wonderful shrines, I don't think it really matters one way or another.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.