Time and Character types

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Time and Character types

Post by dubiousdisc »

I guess that making a shrine is a sort of an investment in a way, as you hope that the character won't change into something you dislike. There are plenty of characters which I used to love in one version of them and were subsequently destroyed by canon. I guess that when it happens and you already had a shrine for the character then you can state that your site is specifically for the character as it used to be as opposed to blah blah blah, but is there even a point in having a fansite if you're...really not a fan anymore? D:

I also wanted to add - Varen, 100% agreed on Arc System Works. >|( Sadly the hundredth time I have to say it, but thuck you very much to all game companies going that way because what are female fans, lololol. Sorry, my bitterness is showing.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Not to be off-topic, but in some way, yeah. It's hard to be a fan of something and completely ignore the RL context of liking said thing. For example, while I like Aphrodi, Ky, Richard, etc. I'm not denying the fact that all these characters are the epitome of the beautiful white, blonde characters (though technically Aphrodi is Korean, so he gets a pass) and that is very problematic about our standards of beauty or what is likable.

To get on your point dubious, yes, it's aggravating how game companies are treating female gamers lately by catering to the male otakudom and ignoring or even insulting their existence - perhaps even moreso than ever before. The fact the other companies are changing, and yet, many Japanese companies prefer conformity makes it even more harder to appreciate. (Not that Western companies are good now, but at least there is some improvement, mild as it is.)

Therefore, while I still like some of their characters, it feels like you are condoning the creators' behaviour. Perhaps disliking them is a way of rebelling as well. (Sorry, I'm in general VERY bitter about the world.)
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Ugh, you girls, don't get me started! I watched the e3 presentation a couple years ago when they revealed the 3DS and pretty much exploded. (If you know what I'm talking about...) They had a line of girls, who all looked very similar, with the 3DS attached to their hip. Clearly CLEARLY catering to a male audience. WELL EXCUSE ME, NINTENDO. FOR BEING FEMALE AND PLAYING VIDEO GAMES. Honestly, I lost a lost of respect for Nintendo of America at that moment.

Not too mention, there is just way too much of the catering to the straight male demographic in the way video games are marketed and even the characters. Sometimes I think that Japan "does it right" when there are games that are marketed solely towards women and young girls. Except that there's very little variety in their genres, these days.

I just too often feel like an outcast with my tastes... ;-;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Destinie wrote:I just too often feel like an outcast with my tastes... ;-;
I second that! Us girls need fan service of the hot male variety too!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

There is one elephant in the room here, which would be that Japanese culture is terrifyingly sexist. It's not particularly weird that most games would be made by young men for young men. And that is also why there's all that subset of media made by young women for young women. It's a culture where males and females are basically two separate worlds that never meet. You can't really expect something to be made by said men-dominated software houses to treat female fans fairly, all considered, as much as it pains me to acknowledge it.

Personally, I consider any media to be fair game in that sense when it has good characters which are both male and female. I accept fanservice, but just if it's for both genders. Any nasty move, and not only they can forget my money, but I'll also tell people to avoid whatever the thing in question is so the makers can be actively punished. Take that.

Sorry for the off topic.
Vii

Post by Vii »

I don't really have the problem of losing interest in a character as time passes. In my replays or re-watches, I just tend to look past the character I found to be my favorite and see the other characters I didn't pay as much attention to. Then I'll come to like them as well.

I will however, start a series with one character as my favorite, and then as all of the characters develop, get a new favorite :P The other character will always hold a special place with me though :heart:
searching for the starlight in the darkest skies.
a complex surface, laid out right before our eyes. everything makes sense, now that you are by my side.
anon

Post by anon »

dubiousdisc wrote:There is one elephant in the room here, which would be that Japanese culture is terrifyingly sexist. It's not particularly weird that most games would be made by young men for young men. And that is also why there's all that subset of media made by young women for young women. It's a culture where males and females are basically two separate worlds that never meet. You can't really expect something to be made by said men-dominated software houses to treat female fans fairly, all considered, as much as it pains me to acknowledge it.

Personally, I consider any media to be fair game in that sense when it has good characters which are both male and female. I accept fanservice, but just if it's for both genders. Any nasty move, and not only they can forget my money, but I'll also tell people to avoid whatever the thing in question is so the makers can be actively punished. Take that.

Sorry for the off topic.
Anything "sexist" is pretty much a difference of cultures. Haha, I'm not saying I disagree with you there and there's a lot of stuff that makes me shake my head, but just saying you can't exactly use the same type of judgment cross-culturally.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Destinie wrote:Ugh, you girls, don't get me started! I watched the e3 presentation a couple years ago when they revealed the 3DS and pretty much exploded. (If you know what I'm talking about...) They had a line of girls, who all looked very similar, with the 3DS attached to their hip. Clearly CLEARLY catering to a male audience. WELL EXCUSE ME, NINTENDO. FOR BEING FEMALE AND PLAYING VIDEO GAMES. Honestly, I lost a lost of respect for Nintendo of America at that moment.

Not too mention, there is just way too much of the catering to the straight male demographic in the way video games are marketed and even the characters. Sometimes I think that Japan "does it right" when there are games that are marketed solely towards women and young girls. Except that there's very little variety in their genres, these days.

I just too often feel like an outcast with my tastes... ;-;
Nintendo was at the GameStop manager conference I went to, and they were telling us plans of marketing toward women and young girls this holiday! They have lots of games like Cooking Mama and design and Barbie games coming out. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised.

I do agree the mass majority of the video game industry tries to appeal to a straight male fanbase though. It's sad.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

cooking and Barbie? No thanks... I want to make something blow up! But yay for the effort I guess?
Vii

Post by Vii »

Mikari wrote:cooking and Barbie? No thanks... I want to make something blow up! But yay for the effort I guess?
^seconded~ I also like making things go boom. And they don't even have to explode into sparkles (though I enjoy that too!)

DO NOT FRET, MY WONDERFUL MIKARI. ONE DAY... ONE DAY THEY SHALL UNDERSTAND US!
searching for the starlight in the darkest skies.
a complex surface, laid out right before our eyes. everything makes sense, now that you are by my side.