Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Updates and input on ongoing projects, shrines, and revamps!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Post by Robin »

Destinie wrote:You're inspiring me to work on mine! Great going, Robin! Your momentum is amazing!!
Thank you!! I'm really looking forward to completing some of these articles very very soon, and hopefully will get more mental oomph to finish the whole thing by fall xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

HOLY CRAP I FINALLY GOT OOMPH

Rumbles of Trouble and Wilderness Years are now in prose form instead of list form, making them SO MUCH EASIER to read, at least in my view!

(omg why did I not do this like 3 months ago orz orz orz)

Check them out, and let me know if I've missed anything or if sentences don't make sense (it's rather late/early here and I just randomly got a surge of energy to do this, so there's no telling xD).

Ahead, I'm working on a set of fanmixes for my media section. My main question is: how do y'all usually like fanmixes to work? Do you prefer embedded videos from, say, Youtube (the easiest way for me by far), or should I get some kind of software thing (or use 8tracks) and make it more like a clickable embedded playlist? Open to any suggestions or ideas--I really want this page to work better and be approachable even to people who usually don't like fanmixes. xD
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Good job converting the list to paragraphs (that probably was a tedious task =x), I definitely like it better this way, especially for a personal dedication. I've only skimmed them so far, but the headings breaking things up are definitely great. :>

I hadn't checked out your new pages from a few months back! "How I Became a Fan" is adorable, and such a great way to record those first memories. ;_; The page actually takes me back to early fansite days where people would fill their pages exactly with this kind of free and unrestrained personal rambling. LOL I'd love seeing those make a return, whether in form of text walls, reaction gifs, screencap spam, chat logs or otherwise.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Lethe wrote:Good job converting the list to paragraphs (that probably was a tedious task =x), I definitely like it better this way, especially for a personal dedication. I've only skimmed them so far, but the headings breaking things up are definitely great. :>

I hadn't checked out your new pages from a few months back! "How I Became a Fan" is adorable, and such a great way to record those first memories. ;_; The page actually takes me back to early fansite days where people would fill their pages exactly with this kind of free and unrestrained personal rambling. LOL I'd love seeing those make a return, whether in form of text walls, reaction gifs, screencap spam, chat logs or otherwise.
YAY I'm glad those pages read better now. Glad I finally was able to do something--this health scare with my mom has been roughhhh on my focus and concentration x_x

Also, yes, that "How I Became a Fan" page is one of my favorites! I still need to work on the organization, though, especially the bottom list of "things I have shouted at my screen during the TV Movie" since it has also fallen victim to the "long sentences in list format" pitfall. Why do I keep doing that??? askjdfkajsdfsdf

I'm wondering if I ought not to make the individual sayings into text images and just arrange them a little more neatly or something...xD look at me making more work for myself xD

Lastly, if you liked that page, you'll probably love What Being an Eighth Doctor Fan is Like--lots of reaction gifs! And I am still laughing at this page 3 months after making it because ACCURATE XD
withinmyworld.org
Kate

Post by Kate »

ROBIN! Your shrines are one of my favorites to read, they flow so nicely and are so informative. *__* I have zero knowledge of Doctor Who it all seems so confusing to me haha! But your shrine was easy for me to read through, even with the lack of Doctor Who knowledge! :D I love love love the animated header to the layout and the design of the header. It's all really nice! I also like the kind of question and answer content you added for the character study~ This looks like it's going to be a BIG shrine, and I can't wait to see more! ;u;
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Kate: Thank you!! :D Glad you like it AND that it's approachable even for someone who doesn't know anything about Doctor Who. (I actually still don't know as much as the average Whovian does--I've got a highly specialized knowledge base because Eight is <3 ^O^;; But I'm hoping to put in as much info as I have, and give a lot of neat perspectives in various articles. :D)

(I'm also going to add in pics for each article as I finish and polish them, so that my articles don't suffer from "wall of text syndrome," LOL)
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

OMFG Robin I just read your fan pages for Eight. LOL I'm dying!!! I hope you add more stuff like this to your shrine, it makes me wanna bring back my "silly" sections. XD ahahahaha <3<3<3
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

wolfrun wrote:OMFG Robin I just read your fan pages for Eight. LOL I'm dying!!! I hope you add more stuff like this to your shrine, it makes me wanna bring back my "silly" sections. XD ahahahaha <3<3<3
hahaha I just couldn't leave my silly brain things off my Eight shrine--it was too good and I literally sat there howling laughing at it all xD

I'm going to add some more serious articles as well to kind of balance things out, but there are definitely some more silly pages coming up too (like the photo gallery with funny captions xD xD)
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I was randomly reading back through my How I Became a Fan page last night, and realized I needed to tighten up some formatting and streamline a couple things. So I used the <abbr> tag for each of the actors' names to associate them with which Doctor they played, and I used blockquote formatting to help make the last section of the page MUCH easier to read. YAYYYYYYY it's only needed doing for about 1000000 years xD
withinmyworld.org
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Ooh Robin, I really like how the images in the header rotates, it adds a nice surprise to the experience. Dr Who is such a massive topic, and I really liked how you highlighted a relatively unknown area of a huge fandom. All the content is :inlove:
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.