Do you have a limit?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Do you have a limit?

Post by Sarah »

Do you have a limit to the number of shrines you want to own? I think about this often when I am looking at all the shrines I plan/want to make, plus my current ones. When I count those up, I get 15. (This is a current number, it changes from time to time.) Now, assuming I did get around to making all of those I have planned/hope to make, I think 15 is a lot and I am not sure if I would want that many shrines. I like to keep up with all my current ones as well as I can. So the more I have, the more difficult that would probably be. There's also the feeling I get that the more shrines I have, the less special each one becomes. (I just want to clarify that these opinions are only aimed at my own collective, I definitely do not think other people should have a limit at all. Just to be clear. :))

I know there is always the option of archiving some of them. That might solve the problem. But still, sometimes I think I really want to keep the number on the lower side. What about you guys? Are you cool with having as many shrines as you can make, or do you only want to have a certain amount?
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Re: Do you have a limit?

Post by Mikari »

I once had as many as 11 sites of different kinds. I shut them all down at once and started anew because back then I was a n00b webdesigner and the quality wasn't up to standards. It's different now, in the more recent years I'm okay with most things I make, so I don't want to let them go. Counting only shrines, I have 4, not a whole lot really. They are mostly archived, save for the links pages which require some maintenance from time to time, but I actually like doing that so it's okay. When I feel like making a new layout it usually goes to my collective, so I don't switch things around in my fan sites much anyway.

I don't have a number that I want to reach or a number that I don't want to pass. I don't have any fan site plans right now, as I just recently completed one, but who knows, I might make another at some point in the future if I find a subject that grabs my attention and looks like it might be fun to make a site about. I think archiving sites is a good idea if you feel like you're too busy with many.
Eden

Post by Eden »

If I go through my extensive list of ideas, I have 13 sites. Wow. I probably couldn't even produce one to be honest. But I look at it and it'd be really nice to see that whole collection of sites I had made if I ever could do them at all. I don't think limiting myself is good. I've tried that with fanlistings and though I've done it to where I'm only going to apply for things I absolutely love, I find there are things I still want to dedicate something to, so I've strayed off that "limit" a few times. Limits for me are restricting, so I try not to have them when it comes to anything creative. I have yet to produce a tribute and doubt I ever will, but if I do, I won't limit myself. It's hard enough to start one as is... lol.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I figure it's all about how many sites an individual can comfortably maintain to their personal standard and that number is definitely going to vary from person to person. I'm neglectful of the three I own now, so I don't think I could own more than maybe four at a time maximum lol. When I was younger and I had a lot more free time, I was able to get away with owning more, but as time has progressed I've found myself preferring to focus on keeping the handful of sites I own in decent condition, rather than opening more.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I don't know. Actually I'd rather keep my stuff under 15 sites, but I guess that if I ever get to that number of (large, extensive) fansites some of them will be permanently archived anyway. But I don't think I'd ever be able to own that number of sites.
anon

Post by anon »

I juggle websites depending on if I have enough interest to continue on with them. If websites stay dormant for more than 2 years and I don't have any clear plans for them, I just close them. I think I like to keep my numbers under 5 even though I used to have like, 8 to 10.
Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

I should think I'm probably only limited by what I'm actually able to produce. My potential project list is probably approaching the 10 range, and I think if I continue to pursue this hobby long enough that's a fairly realistic goal. The subjects I'm looking at tend to be finite, though (for example, a character from a completed series), so I figure if I develop a site enough to my standard I would naturally move on to creating a new one and feel fine leaving the other static for a bit. In general, I'm sure it's something I'll get a better sense for when I actually create more shrines.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

For me the answer is yes. Currently I feel like I have too many (fanlistings also add to the strain, ugh), but I don't want to get rid of any of them and I have a couple more ideas in mind that I'd really like to make a shrine for.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Ava

Post by Ava »

What an interesting thought, Sarah! I never thought about shrine limits, and I find all these different philosophies on dormant shrines fascinating. Personally, I would be happy with as many shrines as possible. I currently have 7, but if I had 70, I'd think, "Great, I've provided something entertaining and/or useful for 70 different fan groups!"

Reading all your comments makes me realize that I have a "the more, the merrier" approach because of my view on shrine activity. I don't mind having dormant shrines because I don't mind visiting the dormant shrines of others. Many of my favorites are ancient shrines that have not been touched in ages, but I enjoy re-reading them for nostalgia.

A shrine's content is never too old to me, because there will always be someone out there that it is "new" for. :heh: And while I recognize that some of my shrines aren't up to par in quality for my current standards, I am content knowing that they were the best I could do back then, during that time of creation, under those circumstances.

Fanlistings are a different story though. :swt:
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I like this topic too... it's something I've though about before. :)

I don't know that I have a limit, but I don't tend to make new sites unless all of my current ones are up to my current standard. Even then, I noticed I only have time to run about three active sites. By active, I mean that they can still be updated and added to... I consider my other sites complete, and I don't really think of them when I think of my site work-load.

My current "active" sites are Breathe Drew, which I'd like to add more sections to, and Poltergeist which I am slowly adding to and rewriting. I'm working on bringing my Knuckles site back too, and that will be one I will likely continue to work on after it's uploaded. Once I'm completely done working on one of those three sites, I might make another to replace it in my work-load, lol.

Then there are sites I just make at random. My newest site, Requiem, is one I made at the spur of the moment. It's complete even though it's new, and sits in the back with my Magus, Sabin, and Reiko sites. If I can make complete sites like that that don't require much work after uploading, I don't mind increasing my site number to have them. :)

It's basically like Shiori said. It's about how many sites I feel comfortable keeping updated, and the more I don't have to touch much after they're uploaded, the more sites I'll have.

/tl;dr