What Type of Webmaster Are You?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

What Type of Webmaster Are You?

Post by Todd »

Do you create layouts for your content, or content for your layouts? Put another way, what do you enjoy most out of making sites: writing content, working with media, graphics, and layouts, or both pretty much equally?

I am absolutely a webmaster who builds layouts for his content. I love writing about the things I love, and so often layouts are what hold me back. Content comes so easy to me, and is absolutely the most fun part of making websites for me. I don't think I'm bad with layouts by any means, but I know my content is so much better.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: What Type of Webmaster Are You?

Post by Robin »

I make layouts around my content, mainly because typing/crafting text is easier and more natural for me than fiddling around with images in Photoshop for hours. (Tiny tiny link buttons drive me mad! xD!!)

These are some of the ways I design around my content:
- Clearly delineate navigation so it's a visibly separate part of the layout
- Use high contrast between text and background color for readability
- Make lots of headings and subheadings to break up Walls of Text (learned that on my blog xD)
- Align content bits in tables or floated divs so more of the content is "above the fold"
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

I always make my layout first so...that's my answer XD I love the creative part of it no matter how much I get irritated making the buttons at times. Ineedmoresmallfonts. The content is what I dread ONLY if it's loong, especially for relationship pages -shivers-
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I usually make the layout very quickly because I like coding in general, and similarly I also enjoying researching for the content since I'm very curious.
What stumps me most of the times is putting into words what I'm thinking.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I usually make a layout first, because I like seeing the whole thing evolve as I add text. Usually the layout will change a bit though, once the content is added. I tried once to do the content before the layout and didn't enjoy that process. That is clearly not how I work. :P
a spoony bard
Todd

Post by Todd »

Lol I must not have worded this very well. I meant do you like writing content or making layouts more? We already kind of had a discussion on what order you do things when you make sites. :P

My bad, guys.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Oops :/ herp derp I think I started the trend of "misreading this topic"...

HOKAY, so here's my answer...it's chilling...reference

I like making content a lot more than making layouts, usually. Art and design can be tedious and frustrating, but writing is fluid and easy to edit. For instance, you rarely have to redo a whole page of writing over just because you messed up in one spot. (Unless you're writing with a pen, which I avoid because ain't nobody got time fo dat, LOL)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

I like making layouts more. It challenges me to think up of a different way to present a site depending on the character.

Now, when the writing becomes my favorite is when it's mocking like World Eater for Alduin. I loved writing that shrine so much and it went by so fast, I was double checking to see if I got everything since I've never finished a shrine that fast after a layout.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

To be honest I'm not sure. Sometimes I really itch to write and sometimes I really itch to code and make designs. Luckily in the second case I can always revamp old sites :)
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

I think I'm tied between both, actually! I really enjoy the web design aspect of creating websites, but I also really enjoy the writing process as well. I love being able to challenge myself in both areas. Both designing a layout and writing up its content make time fly for me. I enjoy both a lot!
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.