Otome Games

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Destinie

Otome Games

Post by Destinie »

Anyone here play Otome games, specifically for iPhone? I'm working on "Love Academy" right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The only other one I've played is Princess Debut (which my BF purchased for me. He does a good job enforcing my guilty pleasures, heh).

I've seen a lot of people in the past talk about Starry Sky which sounded interesting. I'm just not sure where to get these kinds of games. ^^;
Nomi

Re: Otome Games

Post by Nomi »

I love otome games! I mostly play them on my PSP now, but before that I used to play them on the PC. Haven't tried the iPhone/Android ones, though.

Starry*Sky is cute, my personal favourite being the second game, Starry*Sky ~In Summer~. I'm not sure where to get the PC ones now (since they're pretty old, a lot of online stores no longer have stock for them, it seems) ;; If you've a PSP the PSP ports should be easier to find in places like play-asia?
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Ah, I don't have a PSP. :( But I know many groups online that make them for fun and allow people to play web-based ones. (And they're in English ha.)

Is Starry*Sky a PC one?
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

Yeah! And there're some downloadable ones too, I think? I don't really go through them much, but I heard there're some good ones!

Yep, Starry*Sky was originally for the PC, though they were ported over to the PSP!
Juhi

Post by Juhi »

I've played otome games here and there. Love Academy was cute. You might want to try Pure Love, since it's by the same company. Another good otome game on the iPhone is London Detective Story. It has three routes, though Sherlock's route has all of the puzzles and meat of the storyline. Sadly, only the first game is translated (the sequel lets you play Lupin's route!).

Starry Sky is what I'd call ear and eye candy. It has some of the more well-known male VAs voicing the pretty boys and some nice artwork. Outside of that, there isn't a whole lot going for it IMO. I hear Summer is the best of the series.

Second Reproduction might be worth looking into. There are three routes (two main ones, one "crack"), and the protagonist is pretty likeable. It has its flaws, yet it manages to do a lot of things well to make for a good experience. There's a fan translation for it too.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks, Juhi! That's really helpful. I want to try out London Detective Story! I was wishing more of these games had, well, more game elements to them. Like a small puzzle or something.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I'll look these up later, I was looking for some more good ipod and psp games and they sounds fun. I'm not too familiar with Otome games, but I intend to remedy that.
anon

Post by anon »

Dude, I've been attempting to play Starry Sky ~In Spring~ for the longest time but I got lazy. Maybe I should just play the summer game since I have a soft spot for Azusa but people have been complaining that it's nothing but popular voice actors whispering sweet things to you. I think a lot of people play it because of the voice actors than any of the fantasy aspects.
Juhi

Post by Juhi »

Eh, Spring is okay. I just found it kind of boring. The series isn't terrible per se. It certainly caters to a certain fanbase that some of us might not belong to. That being said, the games do have their cute moments. It's just a matter of being okay with a lackluster protagonist and some less-than-innovative storylines (which is honestly a problem in many visual novels, otome or otherwise).
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Joe wrote:Dude, I've been attempting to play Starry Sky ~In Spring~ for the longest time but I got lazy. Maybe I should just play the summer game since I have a soft spot for Azusa but people have been complaining that it's nothing but popular voice actors whispering sweet things to you. I think a lot of people play it because of the voice actors than any of the fantasy aspects.
When searching for Otome games for the IPhone, I found a lot of these character clocks...or something...that would just have a character talking to you. They were called ~Sleepytime Boyfriend~ or something like that. I was completely confused, curious, and amused.

@Juhi I feel that way about the few games I've played. I guess they are expected to follow a certain formula to cater to that fanbase?