Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Post by Larissa »

SnowRayjah wrote:Ooops, I seem to have disappeared after I posted (silly Snow got wrapped up in finals). Soooooo, I don't mind survival horror. I actually quite enjoy it. I'm surprised to see that so many more people lean towards being unable to play the genre! That's really interesting - can you guys watch someone else play them? (Sometimes Cherri can and sometimes she can't, so I'm curious...?)
I can watch really dumb lets plays (more geared towards humor than the actual horror content), because if it's funny then it's not scary anymore. I'm just not interested in the whole horror thing so it's not my cup of tea, but I've enjoyed a few LPs of horror games if they're done well.
tonight fate is the
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Fortunately, I'm rather resistant to motion sickness to the point where I can't really say that I've ever truly experienced anything like how people describe. I've been on everything from turbulence filled commercial flights, to amusement park rides, to small helicopters that are anything but steady, yet I've always found the motion to be soothing rather than sickening. The same thing with visual effects. If I focus hard enough, it feels as if I were moving, but it's a pleasant feeling.

All that talk about old games is making me wish I could play Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle, not the original, the remake with the cartoony graphics and the voice acting, that amazingly ran on Windows 95 DOS despite looking better than a lot of SNES games.

As for the game I can't play... Games that are on systems I don't own... for obvious reasons. XD I also keep getting distracted by art and webdesign so much it's like I can't play with Steam games, though that's not because of the games themselves. I'm bad at games that require aim, I can play them, but I lose miserably. ^^;;

Wild Arms: heard about it from Snow, thought it sounded cool... got very very bored. ^^;;

Chrono Cross: Yes I love Chrono Trigger, no I don't think this is a worthy sequel, but that's not the reason why I abandoned it. I started playing it thinking of it as a separate game so I wouldn't give it such a high point of comparison. It was fine at first until I got to the annoying parts where you have to catch this or that creature. Why didn't they leave that stuff for the skippable sidequests? I got lost and subsecuently bored, then stopped playing. I did like the choices the main boy could make (Serge was it?) but that wasn't enough to get me through the annoying side-quest-style road blocks. It didn't help that I played without any guides, then when I looked for ways to skip the parts I didn't like, I found out I missed my chance to recruit the Magus-lookalike into my party, which was one of the reasons I tried to play.

Fire Emblem: Heard about it from Snow, Cherri, Crystal and a number of people. I thought I might like it since I liked Shining Force just fine and it looked like it had a similar style, strategy but not overly so. I also enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, despite getting bored and never finishing FF Tactics. I got bored with Fire Emblem right away, I just couldn't get into its style.

Ydddra Union: A very similar experience to Fire Emblem except I actually got maybe about a third into the game before I just didn't care enough to continue.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Speaking of Yggdra Union, I had tried it years ago, I tried it again the other day and I remembered why I couldn't continue @_@ I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON, ALL THIS STUFF GIVES ME A HEADACHE AHHH
Todd

Post by Todd »

There was this game called Bucky O'Hare I played as a kid. It was for Nintendo, and you basically started out with Bucky, this green hare, and you had to choose which planets you would go to, each having one of your friends held hostage. When you beat a planet's boss and saved your friend, that friend was playable. That game was so much fun.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Googled it, Bucky looks like a Jazz ripoff. Did he happen to have a bazooka?
Todd

Post by Todd »

Mikari wrote:Googled it, Bucky looks like a Jazz ripoff. Did he happen to have a bazooka?
I think so! It was too long ago to remember, haha. It was a lot like Mega Man, actually...
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I wonder if there was a connection with Jazz. I know they remade him into a Han Solo wannabe in the GBA era that was nothing like the original, it was a failed attempt at a Star Fox x Star Wars atmosphere. But the older games were really good, especially the first one for old PCs. That's another game I want to play but can't. My CD died ages ago.

Skyroads is another one I just remembered. You had this little ship that could jump and you went on some silly colorful roads with obstacles. It wasn't complicated, but it was lots of fun.
Aa-chan

Post by Aa-chan »

O.o; ...

1. Can't play horror games either. I can watch my brother or someone else play, but I get too nervous if I'm playing, especially if they're fast-paced.

2. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/any Zelda game. I was able to enjoy the Zelda series growing up, but altercations with my ex (who loved the series) has lead me to avoid them. Too many memories. :| I know I just need to "get over it," but ...

3. Illusion of Gaia, Star Fox, and Earthbound. To this day, I can only watch immediate family members play. Why, I don't know. I think it has something to do with my grandmother, who passed from cancer. These games came out around the time she was severely sick to when she passed. Silly, I know... :/ (It's the same reason why I can't watch the movie, Babe, I think, and cry a river whenever I do. Too many likenesses to my grandparents)

There's probably more, but those come to mind. :O Heh.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Video games I want to play but can't:
- City of Heroes. Shut down wayyyy before its time, and hopefully going to be reborn sometime soon (if the current deal talks go through well), but for now we have to wait to play our self-created heroes. Marvel Heroes is great, but I want to play MY babies, the ones I crafted from scratch!
- Super Smash Bros. Melee, the original Animal Crossing, and all my other favorite Gamecube games, because their little zip-up holder thingy is lost somewhere in my house ;_;

Video games I actually can't play:
- First-person shooter games. Something about the screen setup freaks me out--when you can only see your character's gun and not your actual character on screen, all the action feels too "close" to my face and I have to get really far back away from the TV to feel "comfortable" again. (I have the same problem with racing games that have a "front bumper camera" option where all you see is the road zooming up to meet your face.)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

CuriousLittleBird wrote: Video games I actually can't play:
- First-person shooter games. Something about the screen setup freaks me out--when you can only see your character's gun and not your actual character on screen, all the action feels too "close" to my face and I have to get really far back away from the TV to feel "comfortable" again. (I have the same problem with racing games that have a "front bumper camera" option where all you see is the road zooming up to meet your face.)
I have a friend who has your exact same problem! They can only deal with that sort of games when someone else is playing, else they can't even figure out what's going on. :o