Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Emma
Time Traveler

Re: Video Games You want to Play but Can’t

Post by Emma »

Chibi wrote:I also played Mirror's Edge, but I couldn't quite get into it. I didn't suffer from motion sickness, but the game was painfully infuriating at points and, since I don't play games to frustrate myself, I just quit it. I couldn't get into the story anyway.
I loved the idea of Mirror's Edge. I loved the aesthetic and I thought the premise was interesting. But OH MY GOD yes, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who couldn't get into it and got pissed off. I keep feeling like I should try again but you guys are right, why should I waste time on a game that just makes me incredibly frustrated. I wanted to love you, Mirror's Edge!
a spoony bard
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Aku: Omggggg I love Roller Coast Tycoon. I had a problem with making roller coasters no one wanted to ride. Yeah I find newer versions aren't usually that good. Although I found an open source version of Transport Tycoon, another game I loved, and it is awesome.

@Larissa: Really!? Oh man I must have it.

Hmm. That is interesting. I wonder if I can find it somewhere. I was so good at getting rich in that game that I'd keep hearing this song play and then I started missing the old song that played. xD
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Crystal wrote:@Aku: Omggggg I love Roller Coast Tycoon. I had a problem with making roller coasters no one wanted to ride. Yeah I find newer versions aren't usually that good. Although I found an open source version of Transport Tycoon, another game I loved, and it is awesome.
I didn't know that existed! Looks fun. XD Because I enjoyed those kind of games I always wanted to try Sim City, but I'm not sure if the premise is the same or if I'd enjoy it as much anymore, haha. I always feel like it's way more complicated than an amusement park game lol
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Emma wrote:
Chibi wrote:I also played Mirror's Edge, but I couldn't quite get into it. I didn't suffer from motion sickness, but the game was painfully infuriating at points and, since I don't play games to frustrate myself, I just quit it. I couldn't get into the story anyway.
I loved the idea of Mirror's Edge. I loved the aesthetic and I thought the premise was interesting. But OH MY GOD yes, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who couldn't get into it and got pissed off. I keep feeling like I should try again but you guys are right, why should I waste time on a game that just makes me incredibly frustrated. I wanted to love you, Mirror's Edge!
I know, I was the exact same! I loved the design and the idea behind it. My boyfriend and his sister both played it at least twice and they're really excited for Mirror's Edge 2. Me? Not really. XD The first one was just so frustrating, I got very little enjoyment out of playing it. If my boyfriend buys it, I might try the sequel, but only if it has greatly improved from the first one. If it's just as infuriating as the first one, I'm not even going to bother. Ah, well, one less game on my ever-growing to-play list! XD
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Aku: It really it. It was one of my favorite games to play as a kid. I still enjoy it now too although I have a thing about generating weird maps to work with. I totally sucked at SimCity. I always had problems with not enough of something. I've not tried the new one yet. I'm not really sure if I want to lol.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Chibi wrote:
Emma wrote:
I know, I was the exact same! I loved the design and the idea behind it. My boyfriend and his sister both played it at least twice and they're really excited for Mirror's Edge 2. Me? Not really. XD The first one was just so frustrating, I got very little enjoyment out of playing it. If my boyfriend buys it, I might try the sequel, but only if it has greatly improved from the first one. If it's just as infuriating as the first one, I'm not even going to bother. Ah, well, one less game on my ever-growing to-play list! XD
No, really, as a huge fan of Mirror's Edge: if it frustrates you, don't bother playing it, watch someone else playing it instead! The game experience is very dependent on how well you're playing the game, and even if you're just trying to follow the plot it's hard to pay attention when you're too busy failing at the game itself. It's really not worth so much frustration.

(On the other hand finally getting a hang of its gameplay IS extremely satisfying...)
Crystal wrote:@Aku: It really it. It was one of my favorite games to play as a kid. I still enjoy it now too although I have a thing about generating weird maps to work with. I totally sucked at SimCity. I always had problems with not enough of something. I've not tried the new one yet. I'm not really sure if I want to lol.
YOU GUYS SIMCITY
I STILL PLAY THAT GAME RELIGIOUSLY
it's my go-to game for when I'm sick :D

and I always name my city something really silly so I can giggle at the news ticker
"My Vagina Boasts Excellent Water System"
"Farmers In My Vagina? Some Sims Yearn For A Peaceful Country Life"
"My Vagina A Powerhouse, But Much Energy Is Wasted"

...oh god I just realized I have memorized the ticker messages hashdubjnasdk

--

Right now my list is just games I can't play because I need to start playing them and they're long games that are basically a project and I'd rather play them with Denise in a few months, heh.

The only game to have ever bested me is Dark Souls. Oh, but I'll be back. I'll be back.
Aku

Post by Aku »

dubiousdisc wrote: YOU GUYS SIMCITY

and I always name my city something really silly so I can giggle at the news ticker
LOL DUBS XD My brother and I used to have fun naming roller coasters in Roller Coaster Tycoon that way...

I've never played any Sim City but I thought it might be one of those good types of games to play when you just need something to suck hours out of your miserable day LOL. Have you tried the new one? :o I've been wanting to try it for those times when I'm too lazy to play other games, but I dunno if it's worth the money/time
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aku wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote: YOU GUYS SIMCITY

LOL DUBS XD My brother and I used to have fun naming roller coasters in Roller Coaster Tycoon that way...

I've never played any Sim City but I thought it might be one of those good types of games to play when you just need something to suck hours out of your miserable day LOL. Have you tried the new one? :o I've been wanting to try it for those times when I'm too lazy to play other games, but I dunno if it's worth the money/time
It is totally a comfort food, lol. I haven't tried the new one, I wanted to get it on day one but then the whole EA server fuckup happened and since then I haven't really checked if they implemented an offline mode at all. The game itself seemed nice enough from what I've seen of it but I might want to download it for free and test it a bit to see if it's an improvement over SC3K - and I already know that will be hard for me. I'll have to try next time I'm sick, haha.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Ooops, I seem to have disappeared after I posted (silly Snow got wrapped up in finals). Soooooo, I don't mind survival horror. I actually quite enjoy it. I'm surprised to see that so many more people lean towards being unable to play the genre! That's really interesting - can you guys watch someone else play them? (Sometimes Cherri can and sometimes she can't, so I'm curious...?)

I was considering Mirror's Edge but now I don't know. I had similar issues with Xenosaga. I never did get out of the tutorial mode for battle. :/

I'm also not familiar with SimCity, but my "I'm sick" games are Pokemon and Fire Emblem. ;w; When I feel the most dreadful, I usually pick up Pokemon. When I was younger right around the time Pokemon came out, I'd been trying to get my mom to by me the game and she wouldn't. I ended up getting a really bad ear infection and and not being able to do anything due to bad equilibrium at the time. Mom surprised me with Pokemon and when I couldn't sleep due to pain/nausea/fever, I'd play it. It was so much easier to focus on than the television. Pokemon was also the only game that ever go around my mom's rule "if you're well enough to play games, you're well enough to go to school." So, save for the initial release of a new Pokemon game, I usually play it when I'm sick. XD
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I can watch someone else play horror games. In fact, I love acting as the navigator for horror games my friend and I played together (my friend has a terrible sense of direction). I can also watch LPs as long as someone is talking (and not screaming) or the subtitles are engrossing (I love informational LPs) to distract me from the tension of the game.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone