Fire Emblem

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Cherri

Re: Fire Emblem

Post by Cherri »

Those are beautiful Dubs!

As for Jaffar and Nino, I don't think he really wants in her skirt. At first he is like "Go away or I'll kill you" but it later changes when she helps him out and refuses to leave his side. There is a five year age gap. And a fourteen year old being so inlove does bother me. But I look at it as "It's more of a medieval type of time where they would marry off young girls" and that helps me get through it.

I like Ninian. I get what you say though. There are so many characters and not all of them are developed as others. I always marry her off to Eliwood. Florina to Hector and Lyn to Kent. And I only get Priscilla because she can move farther than Serra. I don't like Farina either.
;o; *** pew! pew!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

FIVE????? Wait so you're saying that Jaffar is 19????? I was so sure he was in his mid-twenties. :O Though Fire Emblem gives me trouble with guessing character ages, Lyn being 15 at the beginning of the story is unfathomable to me - I can see how someone like her would be that mature at 15, but she also looks fairly older than that. Florina is supposedly 13, also - and I can see her being younger than Lyn but not THAT young...Everyone in this game is younger than I'd expect, with the notable exception of Nino. Fire Emblem character ages confuse me.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

DUBS, thank you dear! You ARE FANTASTIC.

Yes, Jaffar is 19! I can't remember (for the life of me) where they state that though. Hector and Eliwood are only about 17 and 18. I think it also states that Priscilla is 16 while Raven is 18 or 19.

I assume, in general that characters are mid 20's. What gets me is Kent! Heath states he's so young to be commander! I'm like..."how young?" As in history a man wasn't officially knighted until 21 but that went with years of training that started around 7. Thus, if they are a knight I assume (automatically) that the character is at least 21. But then this automatically makes me think Heath is probably mid-twenties or closer to thirty. I'd probably put Heath, Linus, and Lloyd all in mid-twenties to early thirties, to be honest.

As for Lyn, there are some people who look naturally older or younger. I can see how living on the plains might have had her endure the elements more frequently. Also, when you meet her she is grieving. Emotional distress can add age to a person too.

It does boggle my mind to hear that Florina is only 13! This could explain why she and Florina get along so well. I assumed she was at least 16.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Li'l Florina is only 13? I thought she was 16 too. AH! And I thought Lyn was 19ish. But you did say at the start. Oh now I'm confused.

And yup, Dubs. The game actually states Jaffar's age, his and a few others. Next thing you know we are gonna find out that Wallace is only 23. XD Hey Snow, Heath does state that. So I get where you are for knights. But I don't think they get to be commanders until later in life (30-40 or something), so Kent being a commander in his early twenties would be young. Sticking with the whole 21 to be knights. Also Caelin is tiny.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Lyn's age is kinda weird. In the localized version she is 18-19 years of age but in the Japanese version she is 15-16. I'm not sure why that is.

I am also mind-blown to learn that Florina is only 13. She does not look like she's 13. More like closer to Lyn's age.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

My wild guess on Lyn's age being changed is that it also weirded out the translation team...

The artbook does state at least age ranges, and I just checked: Kent is older than 20, so yeah, young for a knight, not young compared to the rest of the cast. Can't find Heath but Lloyd and Linus are in their twenties as well.

Erk is 15. That's INSANE.

Oh shit Pent is in his twenties too?!?!?!? This is probably me not understanding characters with odd hair colors but I thought that he wasn't a silver-haired bishonen but just...going grey. Don't know, there's something about his face that reminds me of certain busts from ancient Rome. I thought he couldn't be younger than 30, wtf.

I actually checked on Wallace and he's past 40. THANK YOU. AT LEAST THAT.

[Paired endings]
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I finished Eliwood's quest yesterday. The only paired ending I got was for Lyn and Florina, but me and Denise were sorely disappointed to learn that

Lyn and Florina: When her grandfather died, Lyn asked that Caelin be taken under Ostian protection. She set out for Sacae with her friend Florina. Though Florina returned to Ilia, their friendship lasted forever.

WHAT HAPPENED
WHY COULDN'T THEY LIVE TOGETHER FOREVER ON THE PLAINS ;_;

So we went to look for other paired endings and some endings are ABSOLUTELY DEPRESSING. Priscilla can only be happy if she marries Erk for example, if it's Guy or Heath they are not noble enough for her and they have to leave. Isadora and Legault leave as friends and then meet again as enemies. Isadora and Renault ends up with Renault leaving and Isadora BECOMING A PRIESTESS OF ELIMINE OUT OF SADNESS. The one that made me the saddest was Harken and Vaida:

Harken and Vaida: Though both desired to be together, they could not bring themselves to end their service to their lords, and so they parted ways. That was the last time Harken ever heard Vaida's voice.

I mean, I find it interesting that it doesn't necessarily end with "and they lived happily ever after", but wow, so much effort to pair you up and that's what happens, and it's the tactician's fault. So the ending can basically be, you lived happily for the rest of your life, and some of your friends that you paired up had a miserable life because you had to play matchmaker with them. BUT YOU LIVED HAPPILY. ASSHOLE.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

SEE! Pent being in his twenties is CRAZY. I assumed he was AT LEAST thirty. Apparently we're ridiculously bad at the age guessing game.

As for the paired endings, it is one of my favorite parts. But yes, sometimes, I'm like "I think I just ruined [character's] life." D:
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

BAH! I could've sworn his was mid-thirties. Darn you, Pent. Makes me wonder about Louise. *sigh*

I don't like it when they die. "[Character Name], died in chapter 13." I'm like "No, they just pulled back. ;.;" I like the support endings though.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Pent being in his twenties totally screws with this sprite comic I had going years ago where the main character of it was 18 years old and was his niece. If only I'd known that then lol.

Whenever a character dies in my game I ALWAYS have to restart the chapter. I just can't leave them dead. D:
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Louise is also in her twenties. Just...screw you, Fire Emblem ages.

So it seems we all agree that Pent doesn't look silver-haired but actually old. And Crystal - I wouldn't have batted an eye at the assumption he was old enough to have a niece, I thought that Erk was old enough to be Pent's own son and thus why in a lot of endings they end up living as a family, but they're actually all in the same age range. At least that makes it a bit less skeevy seeing how Erk is all enamored with Pent...

Yes I can't allow anybody to die either ;_; Florina in particular is so frail in the beginning of the game that if I had let her die I would have never seen her become able to solo entire areas...