Kirby!

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
anon

Kirby!

Post by anon »

After getting the 20th anniversary compilation I decided to make a commemorative post for everyone's perpetually happy pink blob Kirby. I find the character Kirby himself to be a pretty bland and one-track minded character but by golly his games are the cutest hrnngh. It's like visual diabetes when it comes to him.

I've played Kirby's Dreamland 1-3 (even though I've only completed 3), Kirby's Super Star (Gourmet Race only hahaha), Kirby 64 (not done), Kirby's Epic Yarn (not done), and Kirby's Return to Dreamland. Dreamland 3 is my most favorite game ever even though it got mixed reviews. I just like the pastel colors, the music, and the clever use of how every animal friend does something unique with their abilities. My favorite character is Rick the Hamster (he and his hamster girlfriend Pick are ADORABLE) and I'm disappointed he hasn't been playable since Dreamland 3.

Epic Yarn is adorable and creative. I love the design and the peaceful music is so calming to listen. Everything about this game is cute but my only gripe with it is the loss of copy ability and hovering because that's what Kirby is known for. :/ Well, it's justified that it originally wasn't planned to be a Kirby game.

Return to Dreamland is also pretty fun and challenging! I love the co-op features in it and I like how the copy abilities have different movesets. The super abilities are so cool~
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Kirby!

Post by dubiousdisc »

Not a secret: I adore Kirby as a series. I really like the gameplay, I really like the character design, and I am always amazed by the amount of polish that's into every game, from the level design to the interface to the artwork.

I think I've completed...Kirby's Adventure, Kirby Super Star and Super Star Ultra, Nightmare in Dreamland, Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad and I'm sure there's something more. Ah, yeah, Kirby's Avalanche, that SNES Puyo Pop thing with those hilarious quotes, just for shit and giggles. I think my favorites are Adventure/Nightmare in Dream Land and Canvas Curse for how brilliantly executed was the entire thing and the absolutely brilliant background artwork.

I tried Epic Yarn on someone else's Wii and I got the soundtrack but that was it, in lack of my own Wii. XD

In terms of characters, Meta Knight. Meta Knight is a cool guy. Also a lot of the small enemies, most importantly the Waddle Dees and the Waddle Doos. Oh also the Wheelie :D Another thing I like in Kirby is how, even with all the cute art and stuff, it does have its WHAAAT moments, such as the Battle Windows and, oh god, the Mike ability. It's mostly useless to me but I always get it just to see PUNK KIRBY

blah blah
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks so much for making this thread! I've gotten the 20th anniversary collection a month or so ago and have been playing it. Kirby is one of those characters that make me go "Squee!" every time I see him. Epic Yarn is GREAT! Patrick and I played through the whole thing together and we really love the team aspect of it. And the whole time I'd just go: "This is so cute. OMG so cute cute cute..." It's the cutest game I've ever played.

To be honest, I only got into Kirby from the 64 version of SSB. ^_^; Aside from that, the only other Kirby game I ever played was Kirby 64. I never had any of the other games. But I was so happy to get the collection because I really love Kirby's Dreamland 3. It's cute and fun and it's more than just a simple side scroller. Also, trying to figure out how to help those characters is each level is SO HARD. I only helped 2 characters so far and I'm on the 3 world. DX

@Dubious Those quotes are hilarious :D
anon

Post by anon »

dubiousdisc wrote:In terms of characters, Meta Knight. Meta Knight is a cool guy. Also a lot of the small enemies, most importantly the Waddle Dees and the Waddle Doos. Oh also the Wheelie :D Another thing I like in Kirby is how, even with all the cute art and stuff, it does have its WHAAAT moments, such as the Battle Windows and, oh god, the Mike ability. It's mostly useless to me but I always get it just to see PUNK KIRBY
I LOVE the mic ability too!! It's a shame it only lasts for three uses. It's always fun to see Kirby scream every time he uses it and his outfit changes each time! :) And yeah, there are a lot of points in Kirby games where I felt like there was an acid trip, particularly in the final boss levels.

Meta Knight is awesome! My brother always plays at him when we co-op Return to Dreamland. I kind of miss Gooey though. I feel like Meta Knight "replaced" him as the default team partner along with Dedede because he's more popular and has a more developed personality whereas Gooey just seemed... there (and a little more simple-minded than Kirby).

Also I love the Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos. They are so adorable and it gets to the point that sometimes I don't want to attack them. In Epic Yarn the Waddle Dees run away from you in the haunted house levels or whenever you're a UFO... and there are cute harmless Waddle Dees sleeping together underneath a tree in Flower Field and you have the option to just kill them or let them be. Funny thing is one time I was pointing out to my brother, "That's a Waddle Doo!" and he's like, "Why isn't it a Waddle Dee?" "... because it's a Waddle DOO!"

My other favorite enemies are Poppy Bros. Jr. and Sir Kibble, because they're the only ones I remember the names of.
Destinie wrote:To be honest, I only got into Kirby from the 64 version of SSB. ^_^; Aside from that, the only other Kirby game I ever played was Kirby 64. I never had any of the other games. But I was so happy to get the collection because I really love Kirby's Dreamland 3. It's cute and fun and it's more than just a simple side scroller. Also, trying to figure out how to help those characters is each level is SO HARD. I only helped 2 characters so far and I'm on the 3 world. DX
You need all the Heart Stars in order to fully get rid of Dark Matter in each level and fight the final boss (and the stage bosses will no longer attack you either). There's a special pattern within each level, so here's one for reference:

1. Always something to do with flowers. You're supposed to help them in some way and you are never allowed to trample on them.
2. Use a certain ability.
3. Beat the mini-game.
4. Beat the mini-boss and steal its powers so you can get a collectible. (After you defeat the mini-boss, copy its powers before it explodes.)
5. Beat the level with a specific animal friend. Hint:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
see the species of the animal before you start the level!
6. Collect all lost items or figure out a puzzle.

For example, on Grass Land (stage 1):
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
1. Don't trample on the tulips.
2. Use ChuChu (the pink octopus) and use her copy ability on the green guy, Muchimuchi. She'll touch his face and he'll be happy!
3. Beat the mini-game.
4. Beat the mini-boss (or have fire ability) to break down the fire blocks and save the monkey.
5. Beat the level with Kine the Fish.
6. Collect the three juggling blocks!
Hope that helps! Sorry if I'm too tl;dr (and if I come off as obnoxious because I know some people just hate it when I give help), I just love this game so much. It's so nostalgic~ it's the only game I've played in the compilation prior to getting it, but ironically I've been spending more time replaying this game than focusing on the others.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Thanks, Jo! That was really helpful so now I want to go back and play some more! >w< [s]I love love love spoilers/game help[/s]

Re: Gooey- He's...odd. I can see why he got left behind because I much prefer DeeDeeDee. XD
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:Thanks, Jo! That was really helpful so now I want to go back and play some more! >w< [s]I love love love spoilers/game help[/s]

Re: Gooey- He's...odd. I can see why he got left behind because I much prefer DeeDeeDee. XD
You're welcome! :)

I think it's because Kirby has since moved on from his adventures fighting Dark Matter. Gooey played a huge role in that seeing as he was originally part of Dark Matter.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Joe wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:In terms of characters, Meta Knight. Meta Knight is a cool guy. Also a lot of the small enemies, most importantly the Waddle Dees and the Waddle Doos. Oh also the Wheelie :D Another thing I like in Kirby is how, even with all the cute art and stuff, it does have its WHAAAT moments, such as the Battle Windows and, oh god, the Mike ability. It's mostly useless to me but I always get it just to see PUNK KIRBY
I LOVE the mic ability too!! It's a shame it only lasts for three uses. It's always fun to see Kirby scream every time he uses it and his outfit changes each time! :) And yeah, there are a lot of points in Kirby games where I felt like there was an acid trip, particularly in the final boss levels.

Meta Knight is awesome! My brother always plays at him when we co-op Return to Dreamland. I kind of miss Gooey though. I feel like Meta Knight "replaced" him as the default team partner along with Dedede because he's more popular and has a more developed personality whereas Gooey just seemed... there (and a little more simple-minded than Kirby).

Also I love the Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos. They are so adorable and it gets to the point that sometimes I don't want to attack them. In Epic Yarn the Waddle Dees run away from you in the haunted house levels or whenever you're a UFO... and there are cute harmless Waddle Dees sleeping together underneath a tree in Flower Field and you have the option to just kill them or let them be. Funny thing is one time I was pointing out to my brother, "That's a Waddle Doo!" and he's like, "Why isn't it a Waddle Dee?" "... because it's a Waddle DOO!"

My other favorite enemies are Poppy Bros. Jr. and Sir Kibble, because they're the only ones I remember the names of.
Marx. Marx scares me every time he appears.

Yeah I usually avoid attacking the Waddle Dees because, honestly, what have they even done to me D: there's not even any benefit in hurting them ;_;
Also whenever in the Meta Knight storylines there's the battle with the bandana Waddle Dee I break down because HE'S SO DEFENSELESS ;_;

Sir Kibble :D ah and also all the knight-type enemies, so adorable. One of the things I really liked in KSS/U is that you could have any helper, and that Meta Knight could call one of his smaller knights as a buddy, it was kinda heartwarming that even in his *path of loneliness* he could still call a friend :D

In terms of special abilities, let me also mention the horrendous cruelty that is the Cook ability.
anon

Post by anon »

Dude, Kirby has always struck me as some sort of sociopath! He's happy even though he's eating up other enemies, and has a pretty black-and-white viewpoint of the world. :( If you play Return to Dreamland on the Wii, you can play as bandana Waddle Dee!! :D

I saw someone co-op Super Star and it looked like fun! I think it's unfortunate that the game is wired so that Player 1 has to stay alive at all times in order to progress with the level. Yeah, Kirby's the main character but it's not like Meta Knight/Dedede/whoever can kick the enemies' behinds when he's not around!

Also I love Whispy Woods and when he cries after I beat him I kind of feel bad, haha.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I know I have played a Kirby game before. I'm pretty sure it was Kirby's Dreamland, because it was for the Game Boy and I recognize the cover art for it. I must have enjoyed it because I was always borrowing it from my cousin. (The game was hers; we both had Game Boys and would trade games with each other so we'd have different stuff to play.) Kirby is so cute and blobby, hehe. I'd love to play some more of his games, but as usual, my lack of certain gaming systems prevents it. =_=
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I love Kirby! Myfavorites are Nightmare in Dreamland and Super Star/Deluxe (and its remakes, it's got a few).