Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Updates and input on ongoing projects, shrines, and revamps!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Post by Robin »

Absentia: an Eighth Doctor fansite
from "who am I?" to "physician, heal thyself"
OMG here it is! I've only been poking at it for the past week!

So far, I've got a pretty extensive "basics" page, plus a site page with lotsa links, and a skeleton for my content sketched out with lots of humor because that's how I inspire myself to write. (I about fell out of my chair laughing at one thing I wrote on the Media page--you'll see it when you get there)

Uploading this while it's still incomplete makes me feel a bit naked, but I think there's still enough there for y'all to enjoy while I work on getting my ish together. xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Re: Absentia: The Eighth Doctor (Doctor Who)

Post by Laura »

I LOVE IT. Your primer on the series is soooo well done! I really can't wait to read more from you! *_* It might even inspire me to make a site for 11 or 12! MAYBE. xD <3<3<3
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I'm not much of a Doctor Who fan (I only ever saw the Nine season) but your introduction is super easy to follow, and included a lot of information for an introduction! I can only imagine that the rest of the site will be the same way. :heart: The font is easy to read and ha, I recognize that background! Great choice.
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@wolfrun: YAY! Glad the primer is good! (Gotta thank my boyfriend on that one--he's gotten much more into the early DW series and so he was able to fill in the gaps of my knowledge)

Also, YES YES YES more DW sites~~~ DO IT DO IT DOITDOITDOITDOITSLSKJDFSKLJDF

@Larissa: Thank you! I'm glad the intro is not an overload of new info for you--I was afraid after the fact that I'd crammed too much onto that one page ^_^;

(Also, I like the body font I chose--Calibri--for its readability, but some of the numbers not being actually on the line with letters looks weird somehow. Maybe it's just my browser, or my OCD? LOL)
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Ahhhh, your "basics" section is so great! Like Larissa, I am not really into the series (I've never watched any of it), but I found it super easy to follow and great to read! I learned a lot about the series, and I think it's a great introduction for people who do not have much knowledge of it already.

I also really like the layout. It's very easy on the eyes and makes things super pleasant to read! Can't wait to see more. :)
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

OMG THE EIGHTH DOCTOR!!! :heart:

I have a super soft spot for the Eighth Doctor so I'm super hyped for this! :heart: I love the layout, it's simple and elegant and makes it easy to read all the articles. I am looking forward to a lot of the in-depth content and character study of this doctor! :D
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I've only seen new Who, so I'm not really familiar with Eight. The basics page is great - Doctor Who is such a long series with so much canon and it's a great intro to all that. It also seems like you have some really interesting sections planned! I look forward to reading them. :)
a spoony bard
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who, and though the intro page does go quite into detail at some points, I didn't think it was difficult to follow. :> Are you going to explain why regenerated doctors have different personalities on one of the Eight-related pages? Because I didn't understand that point in the introduction.

Your layout is very pretty (probably one of my favourite of yours!), and I love your humour in the upcoming sections. <3 I also don't think that some of the numbers not being the same size is a problem, though I can see why it might bother you. It's not something I consciously notice as a reader though.

As a big fan of your multi-page shrines, I can't wait to see what you'll whip up!
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Megan A wrote:Ahhhh, your "basics" section is so great! Like Larissa, I am not really into the series (I've never watched any of it), but I found it super easy to follow and great to read! I learned a lot about the series, and I think it's a great introduction for people who do not have much knowledge of it already.

I also really like the layout. It's very easy on the eyes and makes things super pleasant to read! Can't wait to see more. :)
YAY YAY YAY :D

Also, very glad to hear that the layout is good--I started wondering if I should tinker with it after seeing some of the other layouts for Construction Zone projects going up, LOL :P
Chibi wrote:OMG THE EIGHTH DOCTOR!!! :heart:

I have a super soft spot for the Eighth Doctor so I'm super hyped for this! :heart: I love the layout, it's simple and elegant and makes it easy to read all the articles. I am looking forward to a lot of the in-depth content and character study of this doctor! :D
oMG FELLOW EIGHT FAN *GLOMP*

(I'm realllllly glad the layout has turned out so well--I definitely struggled with even brainstorming a layout that would do him justice, but I finally came up with the right color usage and organization :D)

Also, I brainstormed 3 or 4 more articles yesterday, so I'm gonna add those to the list! Now I just need to get started writing without sitting at the computer flailing around xD
Emma wrote:I've only seen new Who, so I'm not really familiar with Eight. The basics page is great - Doctor Who is such a long series with so much canon and it's a great intro to all that. It also seems like you have some really interesting sections planned! I look forward to reading them. :)
Awesome to hear that the intro is approachable! And I'm definitely hype about writing everything--after the concerts this weekend, I'll have some more free time to do more with it :D
Lethe wrote:I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who, and though the intro page does go quite into detail at some points, I didn't think it was difficult to follow. :> Are you going to explain why regenerated doctors have different personalities on one of the Eight-related pages? Because I didn't understand that point in the introduction.

Your layout is very pretty (probably one of my favourite of yours!), and I love your humour in the upcoming sections. <3 I also don't think that some of the numbers not being the same size is a problem, though I can see why it might bother you. It's not something I consciously notice as a reader though.

As a big fan of your multi-page shrines, I can't wait to see what you'll whip up!
Thank you for reminding me about the different Doctors' personalities, Lethe! I sorta glossed over that XD (basically, the different personalities are a function of different actors' approaches to the character, as far as I know, but I will do some more research and make sure of that)

Glad to hear that the font's numbers are not troublesome either, and that the layout is pretty! I came up with the idea for the header images kind of randomly in the middle of the night, and so I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but I'm glad it does :D
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I really am still working on this. I kinda collapsed after yesterday's concert was over, due to the massive headache that led to very little sleep between Saturday and Sunday >_<. (The headache was caused by one neck vertebra being slightly pushed to the left by how I had to hold my head during the concerts, which caused even more muscle tension on the right side of my neck, which led to OW. My chiropractor corrected it this morning, though <3)

Anyhoo, I hope to post at least one more page this evening, and write on a couple others. :D
withinmyworld.org