Anime and manga favorites!

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
anon

Re: Anime and manga favorites!

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:I have to agree with Josephine here and say Digimon. I watched it a lot growing up, I had friends who were hardcore fans too, and it just has more emotion to me, more than Pokémon. Also, my first popular character shrines were Digimon ones!
If you owned a huge domain for the Pokeymans I'm a little intimidated to see what you'd do for the other 'mons!!
Todd

Post by Todd »

Gonna cheat and not fill out the form, mostly because I haven't read/watched much manga/anime.

My favorite manga titles are Parasyte, Death Note, and Mushi-shi. For anime, I liked Gantz a lot...
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

01. What are you currently keeping updated on?
Anime-wise, not a lot, I'm currently only watching Hunter x Hunter 2011 and One Piece. I follow a lot more (ongoing) manga though, but releases I'm mostly looking forward to are One Piece, Kimi ni Todoke, Akagami no Shirayukihime, Fairy Tail and Detective Conan (whenever it involves the Black Organization specifically), I guess... I have a hard time picking favorites :ack2:

02. What is your favorite anime and/or manga of all time?
Cardcaptor Sakura

03. Which holds a lot of sentimental value for you?
Again, it'd be Cardcaptor Sakura, but Full Moon wo Sagashite is a close second.

04. Do you have a favorite obscure/unpopular series?
They're not necessarily favorites, although I really enjoyed reading these: +Anima, Magical x Miracle, stuff from Mizuto Aqua (Milk Crown series, ALMIGHTYx10), Kingyo Sou.
anon

Post by anon »

Didn't Akagami no Shirayuki-hime end already? (Unless you mean translations?) And oh, man, Detective Conan! I was on a huge Conan kick in 2004-2005 until I realized the story had too many fillers and Conan would remain 7 years old forever.

And awesome, a Full Moon wo Sagashite person! :) I think that was Arina Tanemura's best series before she jumped the shark.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

Nope, it's still ongoing, though it switched magazines a while back. Also, re: Conan, yeah, I don't think we're gonna see the ending any time soon. Lately I've been noticing myself going a bit "meh" at the regular releases, but I find the Black Organization parts to be pretty intense.

Yesss, it's my favorite work of hers too, although I liked Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne a lot, too. I have mixed feelings over her later works, I don't think they're horrible, but I haven't been able to get into them as much as FMwS or KKJ either.
anon

Post by anon »

Dude, this one guy I know accurately described Conan as a series that gets its plot moving after 10 sub-arcs. I still have no clue whether they are close to defeating the Black Organization. I also have no clue whether Ran is going to find out about Shinichi. It also bothers me that Magic Kaito was put on indefinite hiatus just so Aoyama can work on Conan. I guess it's going to be a while when Magic Kaito ends since Aoyama basically merged the manga with Conan's plot.

Also, yes on Tanemura. I could not get into The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross and The Legend of Princess Sakura but I did adore Mistress Fortune.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I liked KKJ but it was sooo similar to Saint Tail (Which is one of my favorite magical girl series ever). I was trying to watch/read Fullmoon wo Sagashite and some of her later works, I couldn't get into them either.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Todd wrote:Gonna cheat and not fill out the form, mostly because I haven't read/watched much manga/anime.

My favorite manga titles are Parasyte, Death Note, and Mushi-shi. For anime, I liked Gantz a lot...
I love Mushi-shi! I feel like it's under appreciated.
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:I liked KKJ but it was sooo similar to Saint Tail (Which is one of my favorite magical girl series ever). I was trying to watch/read Fullmoon wo Sagashite and some of her later works, I couldn't get into them either.
I remember everyone treating Tanemura like a genius but she really isn't that great, especially since her leads tend to be hard to relate to (they overemphasize plucky and clumsy). If you want something very light-hearted and short, I did enjoy Mistress Fortune (I even own the tankouban... IT'S SO GLITTERY OMG) and honestly, Full Moon's manga is better than the anime since the art is more detailed and there's not a lot of fillers in it. I dropped The Gentlemen's Alliance + because it was just HOLY CRAP DRAMA and The Legend of Princess Sakura didn't capture my attention that much.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Death Note :D A fun manga. Though the only reason I read it was because it was famous and I was stuck with a sucky internet connection at the time and couldn't get the anime. I know what happens so I'm not motivated to watch the anime. I wish I had waited and watched the anime instead, I tend to "get over" manga very quickly plot aside, but anime leaves an impression to fan about for a while. Must be all the shiny colors and animations. I'm definitely very visual when it comes to entertainment.