The Devil Inside: Valgarv (Slayers)

From August to the end of October 2016, revamp your existing shrines to bring them up to your current standards! Add new content, refine existing content and sweep your shrines for any errors.
Laura

The Devil Inside: Valgarv (Slayers)

Post by Laura »

FINALLY! I've been working super hard the last week or two on getting this revamp done! This is my shrine to Valgarv, the antagonist of the third season of the Slayers anime, Slayers TRY. I it was a bit easier than my usual redesigns because most of the content was fine by my standards; it just needed some cleaning up and some additions. I guess I might have went a bit overboard though, since each page is like... 100% longer than the old versions. XD;

There's also a new layout, new buttons, more media, a few new written sections and a brand new name. (The old site used to be called Let's Fight!.)

If you're a Slayers fan, I hope this brings back some nostalgia for you! For those unfamiliar, please let me know if anything seems confusing. I'd like to make everything as easy to understand as possible and I know it can get a bit overwhelming when you start to get deep into the lore. XD

Also if anyone can provide feedback on the actual layout of the text itself, that'd be awesome. I just want to make sure that it's easy to read; width of the paragraphs and the justification is my concern. :D Lemme know if something bothers you!
Last edited by Laura on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: The Devil Inside: Valgarv (Slayers)

Post by Robin »

Beautiful design (I love the combo of teal green/violet/gray! <3), and your shrine is organized and information-rich without being overwhelming.

I'm glad you kept as much of your old content as well as expanding, too; it gives the site some history and presence to know that the author still enjoys the subject matter this much! :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks Robin!! You're too kind! I'm glad that the site isn't too overwhelming. There's a lot of background information that's necessary to understand some of the conflict going on and I tried my best to make it so that anyone could read it and understand. I also felt that not including content on the pre-existing site would be wrong somehow. XD If anyone out there visited the site often, they might be sad to see it gone! hahaha
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

You already know I love this layout, its clean looks and all the pretty colours overall. <3 That footer is adorable too. <_<

I'm surprised at how much there is to Slayers' wold, its races and opposing forces; it's a big focus of your shrine next to Valgarv himself, and you give visitors quite the thorough overview! That information provides a lot of context for Valgarv's story, and certainly makes one curious about the series itself. I particularly liked the "Ryozoku" page.

My favourite pages are "Future" and "Filia" - not only do you manage to convey how touching the mentioned moments are, the personal commentary on the topics is so lovely: that one paragraph speculating about what might happen in the future, and the brief outlining of how Filia and Valgarv's relationship is depicted in fandom. Awww. <3 The personal voice on Filia's page is unique within the shrine, and it's so fitting. <3 It made me enjoy the Filia/Valgarv part of the gallery even more. GOSH I'D LOVE MORE SHRINES TO COMMENT ON POPULAR DEPICTIONS OF ANY GIVEN THING IN FANWORKS.

Some other stuff I went adjskladjl about:
  • The different colours on the quotes page are so pretty omg. :|
  • Production sketches eeehh!!
  • I never look up image songs for things, and I don't think I've seen music pages often on character shrines, but it's always such a joy to browse them to see what exists and all. ;_; Excellent media page, and the descriptions are a great addition. <3
This is such a fantastic revamp, given how you've restructured the shrine and expanded on all the pages! :heart:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

So I haven't been able to read all of your shrine YET but I wanted to at least try to leave a comment. First of all, I really love all the background information you have provided. (As you know already, I haven't finished watching all of Slayers so this is helpful for me.) It puts everything into perspective and I do love the glossary pages (I am partial to them). Valgarv seems like a super cool character. :) I love how everything is organized and written so clearly.

I'm really enjoying it and hope to finish it soon so I can ramble more at you! ;)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I think I read only like one or two pages but as someone who knows nothing about the series I found it easy to follow. Also the layout looks great! <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

I love the layout. It looks amazing and is very organized, and all of the content is super easy to read. I've read many of your early sections that introduce the series and character, and I think it's all very easy to follow and well-written. I really like your addition of a glossary for terms that appear on the shrine for quick reference. Overall, it's a great revamp, and I really love what you've done with it! Also, I LOVE the new name and why you've chosen it.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you, everyone!! Sorry I haven't gotten around to replying to your comments earlier but my medication's making it hard for me to do so (even now it's hard but at least I have the energy!).

@Lethe - I didn't realise that my Filia section was so different! It makes me wish that the rest of the site had more of a "personal voice" as well! I might consider going back to the other sections in the future and looking at how I can add my own voice to the subjects. A lot of the content was written to be more informative rather than personal... this was always the main intent for the site so I think that "adding a personal touch" is the natural next step. ^_^ I'm glad it made the Filia/Valgarv gallery even better! I'd like to get into their relationship even more in the future. <3

I'm also glad you like the colours on the quotes page... it's something I borrowed from my Haruka/Michiru shrine! Colour coded names to kinda make it easier to read! I'm gonna do the same for future quotes galleries. I also decided to use blockquote for this quote page to make the individual quotes stand out even more... which I may go back and use for my Haruka/Michiru shrine! XD

Image songs were always something I featured on all my shrines too! If there were no image songs, I tried to include character-themed BGM. I want to continue this, especially because people don't do it at all these days. I'll definitely be doing it for my One Piece shrines. ;)

@ Destinie - I'm glad you enjoyed the background information! Usually I don't provide so much background info but for this shrine (and my Xelloss shrine), I feel it's very important in order to best understand the character. Even if you have watched the anime, there is a lot of information that is only learned from reading the novels. So I wanted to make sure that everyone had a grasp of the background so they could understand Valgarv's feelings. <3 I'm glad you think he's a cool character! He's a pretty interesting antagonist. x3 <3

@Crystal - Thanks!! XD I'm glad you felt that it was easy to follow even as a total stranger to the series!! (You should change that one day! Bahahaa~)

@Megan - Thank you! Again, I'm glad to hear that the background information is appreciated! As well as the glossary... sometimes I wonder if anyone uses it so I'm glad to hear that it's a welcome part of my shrines. Especially for a series with a lot of unusual terms. XD I'm glad you like the new name too! I'm really happy with it! Much better than the old one, haha!
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Aaaahhh, this looks WONDERFUL. Congratulations on revamping the shrine, Laura!

I LOVE your layouts and how big and spacious they are! I just adore the purples and teals all over the place and the color scheme in general. The typography is awesome as usual and everything is so organized! The tables you used for the navigation in the pages are so lovely and really just adds to the clean, sleek look of everything.

I'm not familiar with Slayers, but I really enjoyed reading about Valgarv! How could I not? Honestly, I'm a sucker for villains—especially the morally gray kind. The introduction you gave in "Valgarv" is excellent, and really reflects the content of the shrine!

I always enjoy your series/character introductions; they give just the right amount of information to visitors so that they're never lost and are curious to learn more! I enjoyed reading "Future," since it's so bittersweet and hopeful. I also loved reading the "Ryuzoku" section as a whole, and the information you present is so rich with detail and history! It definitely makes me interested in trying out the series! Also, WOW, I'm absolute hopeless romantic trash and Filia/Valgarv are totally cute together, aaahhh.

Your media section is such a delight! I just love galleries so much and browsing through all the different eye candy. I also LOVE QUOTE PAGES, and yours is no exception! Man, Valgarv is such a badass, it's awesome.

I love how detailed your shrines are! I can really feel the love you have for this character and the series in general, hehe. Seriously, though, how do you manage to be so productive?! IT'S CRAZY, OMG. BUT I LOVE IT. Nice work! :content: :heart: :star: