Homecoming: Hope Estheim of FFXIII

From April to the end of December 2016, have courage to start and share your in-progress works! Release your shrines unfinished, and use community enthusiasm and feedback as fuel to keep working on them.
Jae

Homecoming: Hope Estheim of FFXIII

Post by Jae »

Homecoming is up! Dedicated to my favorite Final Fantasy character, Hope Estheim.

I'm going in chronological order, so only XIII's section is ready for public view. Actually, I still need to beat Lightning Returns . . . I don't think its section will be ready within the event's time frame, but I'm going to at least finish XIII.

The introductory paragraph for XIII is not very friendly to outsiders of the canon, but fear not! I will address the terminology and plot points as I write each article. While there isn't much in the way of quantity, my hope (no pun intended) is to write longer articles that explore his development and relationships with various members of the cast, major and minor. This is in part because having too many pages splinters my thoughts and mutilates them beyond any hope (pun intended) of cohesiveness.

Personally, I'm looking most forward to writing about body language and tone, because a) body language is a wonderful thing in XIII, and b) I'm very big on comparing differences between the original release and the localization of any canon.

As I work on getting each article up, feel free to throw in suggestions for other topics you'd like to read about. Let's make this a collaborative piece of teamwork!

Updates
May 30 - Revenge
October 10 - Eidolon, mind
December 9 - Youth, body language
December 18 - Tone, revenge*
Last edited by Jae on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
fayth
I come and go, but I'm around.
Chibi

Re: Homecoming: Hope Estheim of FFXIII

Post by Chibi »

Awww, this looks great! I love Hope and I can't wait for more updates on this! :heart:
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Beautiful layout (and splash page! Ahhhh)! I can see you've got your plan of attack for your content pretty well laid out, too :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Ahh, I love this! I love the layout and how it's set up, and the title is perfect on so many counts. (One thing -- I don't believe the content font is showing up for me :( I'm just seeing my default serif font.)

I really love the sections you have laid out for 13!Hope; they cut right into the heart of the character. And I love that you're going to talk about body language!!! :!: :!: Also definitely looking forward to "tone," and curious what resources you have for that! (I haven't come across anything myself, haha.) And "mind." AND EVERYTHING. ALL OF THESE SECTIONS ARE REALLY GREAT, I'M SUPER EXCITED. I'm even more excited for 13-2!Hope now! I've been wanting to see a Hope site for actual years and I'm so excited that it'll be one as great as this. :heart:

(I do suggest beating LR before you work on that section, though -- LR!Hope has some Stuff going on that doesn't come together until near the end of the game. Spoilers spoilers etc. Definitely tons to talk about there but tricky to handle without the full picture.)

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything! :heart:
tonight fate is the
Rems

Post by Rems »

did someone say hope

I'm really, really excited for this, Jae! (!!!) I love Hope so much and he has a great personal journey. I like how you've set things up to discuss different aspects of him in each game as he probably is the character with the most time to cover since he doesn't, y'know, jump around it unlike, y'know, basically everyone else (ouch feelings). How he grows up and becomes a great man and leader and then... Lightning Returns spoilers, coughs.

I'd second Larissa's suggestion about beating LR before working on his appearance in the game, and also suggest reading Tracer of Memories after you've beaten it since it explains some of what's going on and how Some Things came to be. (There's translations floating about, but I can dig some out for you later whenever you need it!)
❝ they have stolen the heart from inside you, but this does not define you ❞
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Ahh, it looks awesome so far! I have played a tiny bit of FFXIII, and this is the character that I recognize the most (Didn't get too far so that's probably why). You and everyone else making sites to this game made me realize that I gotta play this game and come back so I don't accidentally spoil myself! I can't wait though. The outline looks so interesting!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I love the splash page and the gorgeous simplistic first layout, and I absolutely adore the shrine name! Hope is one of my favourite characters, and the navigation links already look super interesting! + everything Larissa said.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Oooh I love this! I really like how you immediately split up the content by game. Since I haven't played any of them, I think it's a great way to be introduced to the character. :D Plus, I imagine there's a lot of game-specific information for each one, so that handles that. XD

I'm really looking forward to reading about his body language and the localization. It's something easily forgotten (for me anyway) when it comes to games being released here. It's 2016! There shouldn't be any major issues with it! XD
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Just visited and it looks like you've done some layout tweaking since I last saw your site! Looking great!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Jae

Post by Jae »

Thanks for commenting, everyone (and a good eye for noticing that slight tweak, Robin)! I got busy with graduation and a convention, but I was able to sit down and crank out some content tonight under "revenge."

It's a terribly bare page, though I have notes to add images where they would be appropriate to emphasize Hope's beliefs and emotions during the rockiest time of his life. I think I hit the major points I wanted to go over, and I chose to heavily summarize the game's events in favor of focusing on Hope's relationships and drive. What this section could use the most now is a conclusion for the revenge quest that I'll be working on in tandem with "youth," which will refer to both the game and the prequel story.

Larissa and Rems, I definitely don't intend to write anything for LR until I finish the game. While I know most of the spoilers for Hope and sneaked a peek at Tracer of Memories a long ways back, I wouldn't feel very comfortable writing without knowledge of the full context, haha. :bleh: Thanks for your feedback, and I hope (pun unintended; I swear) I can deliver!
fayth
I come and go, but I'm around.