Help with shrine structure?

From November 2015 to August 2016, create a shrine or shrines to celebrate a dynamic duo! Lovers, enemies, brothers, sisters, parents, and close friends contribute to a character's being. Explore the fandom and the relationship from another side.
Chibi

Help with shrine structure?

Post by Chibi »

So I kinda said on twitter that I had an idea for this challenge... and I know it's kinda late and I only have two months to make a shrine for Dynamic Duos, but, considering my topic, I might just be able to make one! :D

So, the topic that I was thinking of for my Dynamic Duo challenge is... Hiccup Haddock & Toothless from How To Train Your Dragon! I just adore these two characters and they make a great dynamic duo! :heart:

So, assuming my topic is valid for this challenge... I need help structuring the shrine! We all know Hiccup is human and Toothless is a dragon, so this is going to be really different from "normal" relationship shrines... I don't want to end up with Hiccup's section as way longer than Toothless's because he's human, I want them to have more or less the same amount of content so that neither has more content than the other (so that they're "equal") and, more importantly, I want the shrine to be really focused on their friendship. However, I'm not entirely sure how to achieve that and how to structure my shrine to make it more like that.

The only section I have written down so far as "certainly happening" is a comparison between the movie and the book (in terms of plot, Hiccup & Toothless and their relationship), and obviously there will be sections about Hiccup and Toothless as individual characters, but I want more sections exploring their friendship.

So I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas? How would you write a shrine so that the focus is entirely on the friendship and not just on the characters? How would you structure it and which sections would you include?

Any help is more than appreciated! :heart:
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Help with shrine structure?

Post by dubiousdisc »

First and foremost, omg that's the cutest idea, I can't wait to see what you will make ;_;

If I were to write this...I'd just freely write about their greatest moments together, and what I think about them, and what it is that they show about their friendship. I'd try to write in a linear way starting from the moment they met, and probably reveal what their characters are like just through the writing of their times together, instead of presenting them before. I guess I'd try to go for a more narrative approach, and then only after that have the sections about both individually (though I wonder if they wouldn't be made unneeded by such an approach).

I love that you want to make sure that they're presented as equal. It's just...such a beautiful concern to have for your writing. :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

One thing that helped me as I drafted my Dynamic Duos site for Jessie and James was to think about how they functioned as a duo, how their strengths and weaknesses helped (or hurt) each other, how their personalities fit together, etc. In short, I was really focusing hard on the relationship instead of each character individually. I did have to have a character study page about each one, but more of the site ended up being about their bond. A similar approach may work well for you here, after you work in the bits about how they meet. :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

@Dubs: Thank you, Dubs! The narrative approach might actually be what I need for this! So basically just go with the flow of the story of HTTYD and explore a different aspect of their relationship through the narrative? That sounds doable and like it would work... Now I just need to come up with the "aspects" of their relationship and how to tie them to the story of the two movies... Wish me good luck with that! XD

@Robin: I was actually looking at your Jessie/James shrine for inspiration, because I love the way you structured it! I really want Hiccup & Toothless to feel and read very much the same way, with the focus on the friendship. That approach sounds great and exactly what I need to do!

I think I might do what Robin suggested first, then use the narrative approach that Dubs suggested for when I'm structuring the content of the shrine. Thanks girls, that really helped! :heart: Now I shall sign up with this duo too! :D

Also, last but not least:
dubiousdisc wrote:I love that you want to make sure that they're presented as equal. It's just...such a beautiful concern to have for your writing. :)
Thank you, Dubs, that's super kind and nice of you! :heart: It's really important to me that they're presented as equals, because that's what their friendship is about too and it's an important aspect of their bond. So I need to make double-sure that they're shown and written about as such - it's something I told myself the minute I thought of the shrine, haha. (And yes, I fully realise that it makes me sound a bit silly! XD)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

AWESOME!!! :D woot woot, go Chibi!! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Haha, thank you, Robin! I appreciate the cheering! :heart:
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

You don't sound silly at all though! It's just...melting me. <3

GOOD LUCK!
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

dubiousdisc wrote:You don't sound silly at all though! It's just...melting me. <3

GOOD LUCK!
Hehe, it makes me happy to hear you say that! :heart: AND THANK YOU!
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Hey, Chibi! I wanted to let you know that I'm INCREDIBLY excited to see this shrine and can't stop thinking about it. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask me even if it's just capslocking or support! I'm a HUGE How To Train Your Dragon fan and want to support every single HTTYD site with 150% of my enthusiasm!!! Hiccup and Toothless are one of my favorite duos everrrrrrr, and this site sounds like it's gonna be amazing!
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Omg, thank you so much, Megan! :heart: I really hope I don't let you down now, haha! But capslocking and support would be amazing since I struggle with motivation a lot and this would help! :D Thank you again! <3