Requiem

Planning to create or to revamp a shrine and need some help or a second eye with your content? Post away!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Todd

Requiem

Post by Todd »

Hey, guys. I'm working on Requiem, my site to Edward from Final Fantasy IV. Is there anything you would like to see on it? Is there anything you don't like, or anything you think I should expand on?

Thanks!
Lethe

Re: Requiem

Post by Lethe »

It's a pity there aren't really any notable bards or dancers in the FF series aside from Edward, otherwise I'd love to see a juxtaposition of them (in mechanics, role and personality, especially due to archetypes) in addition to the great overview you've already given on the bard page. There's Penelo and Mog, but Penelo's dancer class is not part of the main game (FFXII), whereas Mog is part Geomancer. Ugh I love support classes so much, why are they featured so rarely outside of S-RPGs. :<

I don't have much to add since I think it's a great shrine already, especially because you don't look at the subject isolatedly, but show connections to the inspirations (bards) and the connection to Final Fantasy as a whole (bard class, music). Since you don't seem to mind making connections to the Final Fantasy series, how about expanding the Comparison page? I'm a bit hesitant to suggest this because I know Sabin means a lot to you and including more characters on that page might detract from that personal connection, buuut personally, Edward and Anna reminded me of Locke and Rachel in particular when I first played FFIV after FFVI, because both Anna and Rachel get a moment of their own in the respective game, and both use the time they are given to encourage their loved one and "release them from their chain". The difference, if you want to call it that, is Anna giving Edward the strength to fight, especially in face of his physical condition, whereas Rachel releases Locke from his inner guilt that manifests itself in his interactions with women. In both cases though, they request their loved one to share the love once held for them with someone else (the world/Celes).

There are other characters in the series who'd fall under this too (especially with women being killed off so often in fiction to further someone else's backstory =x), but I thought this was especially striking.

Just suggestions! As said, I like the shrine as is and it doesn't feel incomplete. I'm particularly fond of the Damcyan and Melody pages. If you feel like expanding the latter, I found this, though I haven't listened to it myself yet: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Edwa ... _Will_Grow

nobody punch me for reviewing sites in this forum without having much to add suggestions-wise
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

The content is, as Lethe says, already well-developed--on par with the rest of your sites, so really there's nothing to critique there! ^_^

Visually, I've only got a couple of itty bitty things:
- the layout feels a little narrow (though that might be my widescreen laptop talking ^_^;)
- the centered text links close to the bottom of the main page look a bit messy in comparison to the organized button/sprite links at the very bottom and footer.

Overall, though, it looks like this revamp shouldn't take long at all! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

lol! I was thinking the same thing about the text link group on the index page, but felt that it'd be too nitpicky to point out. XD
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks, Lethe and Robin! I hope your visual concerns were addressed with the new layout I just put up! The content is a little wider, and I cleaned up the joined/part-of links.

@Lethe - You brought up a lot of good points about Locke and Rachel! They really are a lot like Edward and Anna. Now that I think about it, Final Fantasy games revisit this theme a lot... I'll dig into it! And think for the link for the Melody page, too. I'll check it out.

I'm 100% with you about support classes! I feel like they need to be featured more. Wakka *kind of* was a support class in Final Fantasy X if you focus on his busters, but he is super strong as well, so I don't think he counts. It's hard for me to think of other characters with support classes who had important parts.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I love this shine, Todd. Edward does not get enough love, and this is such a great tribute.

But! RE: the Bard class, there are some allusions to Edward in Final Fantasy XIV. I know one of the bard NPCs reference the spoony bard line, and that there's a relic bow for bards called the Artemis Bow that has a blurb that says it was originally crafted for a man named Gilbert. It may be worth looking into if the bard class resembles Edward at all? I've not played a bard yet myself, I'm still working on my dragoon. :)
a spoony bard
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Pretty new layout! :D

Yes, the index page looks better now. :D (It also helps that the many links aren't bold anymore.) Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store. :>

I kind of understand why old school JRPGs in particular leave out pure support characters - healers are often unpopular already, and in many games, running around with an all-physical attack party is the most efficient, especially because some game's animations take foreveeeeer (magic and summoning). But I hope that in future installments, they'll be given more attention. I loved that Synergist and Saboteurs were separate classes in FFXIII next to Medic!