Advice for moving sites to new domain

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
LadyDB

Advice for moving sites to new domain

Post by LadyDB »

Knowing me, I'm posting this in the wrong forum, lol. I hope not. Anyway...

I need some advice. I've had Vegetashima.com for 7 years and I'm ready to let it die. I bought a new domain and am moving everything over to Mimarin.nu.

In my FTP, I have all the new subdomains I'm going to have to make already taken at vegetashima.com. Meaning, instead of signing into your FTP, clicking on Vegetashima.com, and then clicking on subdomains in there, all my subdomains are listed in the home folder. Don't ask me why, that's just the way they generate.

So, does anyone have any special tricks or tips for moving them to the new domain? Otherwise what I'm going to have to do is delete each site, which means I cannot have them redirect to the new website, create the same subdomain AGAIN at the new domain, and then just email every since affiliate and everyone telling them the new url.

Does that make sense? It was kind of weird to explain.
~ Lady DinoBug
Saya

Re: Advice for moving sites to new domain

Post by Saya »

I don't think I understand, when I create a subdomain, I decide where to put the folder °_°, my shrine subdomains are in main folder/shrines/allthesubdomains

Aside that, the only thing I can say is if you are letting die the first one, just put the path of the second one where the first one was XD
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
LadyDB

Post by LadyDB »

OMG I FEEL SO STUPID, after 10 years of owning websites and using cPanel, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! HOLY CRAP.

Thank you, lol. You just made me look twice. Wow. This is going to make my network so much more organized. lol
~ Lady DinoBug
Saya

Post by Saya »

LOL, it happens, I'm an inquisitive person, so I keep checking stuff XD
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Also- it might be helpful for you to move early and let the old pages know that you're moving to a new url in advance so they have time to get used to it and update their links. :)