Buttons

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Mayumi

Buttons

Post by Mayumi »

As many of all of us do buttons for our beloved shrines, which size do you guys like to do best? And which fonts would you use? I know some people use some other fonts to decorate the buttons. I would use the standard Ernest font [s]since I fail to use another font and make it nice.[/s] and stick with the 100x35 size.
Destinie

Re: Buttons

Post by Destinie »

I love Ernest! I use that a lot. I try to break out and experiment with other font styles and sizes, too. As far as fonts go, it's more of a design element. I always try to treat the button as a whole composition. Ernest is great for smaller buttons (88x31) but as you get larger I think you can experiment with other fonts. Another font I use a lot on buttons is "Bebas". It's like a cleaner, nicer version of "Impact".

For sizes I usually make 88x31 and 200x40 (banners). I like the 100x50 sizes but I don't know if anyone uses them since I've only seen them in the fanlistings arena.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I like 88 x 31, I guess because it is such a standard size so I am used to working with it the most. (At least for my shrines.) I tend to use bitmap fonts a lot, since they are small yet still legible. My favorite of those is.. well, it starts with 04 or 02 or something like that, lol. But I do try and use more fancy fonts when I can, too, because I like to mix it up and not use the same thing over and over. If you can get a non-pixel font to look good on a small button, then the end result can look pretty cool.

@Destinie: I'll have to look into Bebas, because I like Impact. :O
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I like 88x31 and 200x40. Not that other sizes suck but those seem to be the ones that almost everyone has, so... In terms of fonts I prefer to avoid pixel fonts. I use many different ones so I couldn't say the names of everything. I mostly scroll through the fonts list and stop whenever something catches my attention XD I know that as of lately I've been preferring large italic serifs, for some reason.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

The sizes I commonly like to make are 88x31 and 100x35. Sometimes I'll even throw in a 200x40. As for fonts I pretty much always use pixel fonts (04b24 being my favorite) because I can never really seem to get any other fonts to look legible in my buttons.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mayumi

Post by Mayumi »

@Destinie: I'm gonna try that font too~
@Crystal: I used to use 04b24 but I switched to Ernest because some of the letters were prettier XD;;
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Mayumi wrote:@Crystal: I used to use 04b24 but I switched to Ernest because some of the letters were prettier XD;;
Haha, well maybe I'll have to go check it out then.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I use 50x50, 88x32, 200x40 I tend to use small font with an outline. But lately I just draw the name in pixels.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

For fanlistings I used to do 50x50, 88x31, 100x50 and 100x35. My most recent fanlistings also have buttons in 75x50 because it seemed like more and more people were going to use it. For shrines, or non-fanlistings sites in general, I stick to 88x31, 100x35, 100x50, 75x50 (not always, though), and 200x40.

I like to play around with fonts (and textures/brushes/cropping which explains my super long button-making time XD), the ones I tend to use the most are: Anglo Text, Arial Black, Birch STD, Black Night, Deutschische, Board Condensed, Century Gothic, Cooper STD, Courier New, Cracked, Fine Serif, Garamond, LaDanse, League Gothic, Museo Slab, Romance Fatal Serif, The Art of Illuminating, SG04/09.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.