Beyond the Sky: Cid !@#$% Highwind

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Larissa
Time Traveler

Beyond the Sky: Cid !@#$% Highwind

Post by Larissa »

...can I even use images here? Whatever, one way to find out. (I like this banner ok.)

So I made a new layout for my Cid fanlisting last week, and went to write an about page... and a week later I have a full fansite. While recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out. I don't even know how these things happen. Seriously.

I have been meaning to turn that site into a fansite for years, though, so it's nice to finally have it done, and I found myself with way more to say about Cid than I thought I did. I had a ton of fun building this site, so I hope you enjoy visiting it.

Let me know what you think! Oh, and I also have this FF7 collective now, so more things are on the horizon, ahem...
tonight fate is the
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Beyond the Sky: Cid !@#$% Highwind

Post by nyxmidnight »

I hear you about projects getting together miraculously while recovering or sick. I put a whole book together this weekend and I had the screaming flu (screaming because all my joints hurt, aaa).

It's a beautiful fansite! It makes me miss that game... those were the days where I took my first steps online! Memories!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

YES! I am so happy to see this~ I love Cid! :D The information is beautiful! I do find the white text a bit hard to read though, same with the yellow text. But overall, I think it looks great!

Also great minds think alike since my FF collective is also called Final Heaven!
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Thanks, nyx! :heart:

@Snow: Oh no, I had no idea your collective was called that! I'm sorry :swt: I couldn't think of any names, so I ended up looking at all the limit breaks, haha. Hopefully I can think of something else later.

Sorry about the text color, too - I thought it looked best, and tried to limit the use of the yellow. I might see about making an alternate stylesheet with dark text in the future, perhaps :|a

Thanks for the feedback!
tonight fate is the
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Oh honey! There's no issue! I think it's cool! I used final heaven for the fact it was FINAL fantasy and my domain is basically "Heaven". So I just wanted a name and URL that basically read "final Heaven". Please don't feel like you *have* to change it. I was being sincere when I said great minds think alike!

Also, if you like it, keep it. I just found it difficult. Maybe it's just me getting old. Thank you for the consideration though. I really appreciate it.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Ahh, FFVII, my first foray into fandom! I replayed it over the summer on Steam and I already want to play it again. :)

Anyway, Beyond the Sky looks great! I love that artwork of Cid. And the content is really interesting. I had no idea about the stuff that happened after the end of the game, because I never read On the Way to a Smile. Even though Cid doesn't get a huge amount of screen time, you've really fleshed this out, I love it. :)

I also agree with you on a remake. :/ I really think the game could lose so much of what made it great, and that scenes such as the one with Cloud in the Honeybee Inn would never happen in a HD remake. Can you even imagine it? As amazing as it would be visually, I just don't want it because I think the game stands fine on it's own, and we got our pretty with Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.

I am sorry for my tangents, Larissa! >.> I do look forward to your other sites to come! :) (I'll bug you about affiliation when I get mine back online fyi ;) )
a spoony bard
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Your collective makes me want to work on my Pokemon collective. *cough*

I saw this on your Twitter last night and I think it's awesome! I haven't had a chance to read through it yet though, but I should do that soon!
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Beyond the Sky looks awesome! The sections are really interesting, too. Like Emma, I enjoyed the Remake page. It's fun thinking what if, and FF7 will definitely be remade. It's just a matter of when.

FF4 was largely text-based, and they added voice acting to it in the remake rather nicely. I think FF7 will be fine. Some fans will hate it no matter what, though, as they'll see it as messing with the original.

Anyway, nice job. :)
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I don't think I'd hate it, personally. I'd just have to learn to see them as two separate things, because I do think character's personalities would change - I think they changed between the original game and Advent Children in some cases. But I guess that comes down to storytelling - it's different to tell a story with text boxes and a few pixels than it is with fully animated faces and voices. I also reckon that there's a whole lot of nostalgia attached to this game for many, many people, and we've all had too long to think about this remake and no matter how Square-Enix do it, they'll get crucified by someone.

People who say a remake would ruin the game are being way too dramatic though. Even if a remake turned out to be terrible, it still wouldn't lessen how great the original game was.

And honestly, I don't think it's necessary. With the FFIV/VI etc remakes, stuff like the PSN and the Nintendo eshop weren't available at the time and it allowed the games to be enjoyed by a new and wider audience (the PS remake was the first time they'd been released in Europe praise it's light). And those games were a whole lot easier to remake.

...and I just realised how off topic I'm getting, I apologise and will shut up now. (I have a lot of feelings about a FFVII remake)

LOVELY SITES, LARISSA.
a spoony bard
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

@Snow: Sob, I just feel bad. I'll keep it unless I find something else I like, perhaps, and then switch it over. I picked it more because it was pretty, so I'm definitely not as attached to the name. :heart: Thank you for being so lovely, though!

@Emma: Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I always had trouble figuring out what to say, since Cid just doesn't have much screentime or much of a role in the plot, but I ended up writing way more than I thought I would and I'm pleased with how it came out. (Also, you better bug me for affiliation! I'll be waiting :star: )

Re: a remake, I definitely agree that The Inevitable FFVII Remake is something that is just going to have to be considered separate from the original game. I don't think it'll be bad, per se, I think it'll be perfectly enjoyable, but there's simply no way to capture the nostalgic charm of the original without literally keeping everything as-is and just updating the existing graphics and game engine, rather than building it from the ground up as fandom seems to want them to. I'd like to see what they do with it, but I won't expect it to be the same game I played years ago, because that won't be the point of it.

...Now I'm tl;dring, oops. I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS TOO it's okay.

@Crystal & Todd: Thank you both! :heart:
tonight fate is the