Questionable Characters

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Questionable Characters

Post by Todd »

Have you ever considered making a fan site to a character, but held off because you'd worry what others thought of you? For example, I've always loved horror films. Characters like Hannibal Lector, Leatherface, Michael Myers, Chucky, Jason Vorhees, etc, have always fascinated me. They often have really interesting back stories, and what drives them is really interesting. I've considered shrining one before, and was talking to a friend about the shrine, and she told me people might think I'm demented, lol. I'm really not. I just find the characters really interesting, and thought they would be fun to analyze. I love them, but in different ways than I love Tidus or Drew Barrymore.

I'm thinking about throwing all cares to the wind and going for it.
Camy
Administrator

Re: Questionable Characters

Post by Camy »

Rido from Vampire Knight is one for me, who loves his own sister (in the series, incest is accepted for vampires to keep the blood "pure") but he's still a sickfuck.

I say go for it :D
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I think that anyone who think you're demented just because you wrote a shrine about a questionable/ambiguous/really flipping creepy character should grow up (or at least, set their priorities straight).

According to that same reasoning, book/film critics shouldn't critic anything that has a questionable character in it: you're just analyzing the character, not condoning or glorifying their actions.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I think it's perfectly fine to like or shrine a "questionable" character. They're just fiction and stories would be boring without a well done villain. The baddies deserve credit too, nothing wrong with appreciating an interesting character. I agree that there's a big difference between being entertained/enjoying a character and agreeing with their actions. You don't have to be evil to apreciate well written evil, being amused by creepy characters doesn't make you creepy.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Can't say I'd find anything demented about it... XD I really like what Mikari said, "You don't have to be evil to appreciate well written evil". It's true! I think one of the great things about a well written psychopath is that it lets you get into the head of someone not completely normal and look at the world from a completely unusual mindset. In that sense "questionable characters" actually make for great analysis topics, so I would encourage more people to step outside their comfort zone and go for it! :3

I can see what you're saying--people might be like "Wow, he really loves Tidus and Drew Barrymore and Chucky, wtf?!" But I dunno... at least from a shriner's perspective, I don't think I would look at it that way. Sometimes the shrines I've chosen to make are not always my favorite character, but the ones I found more interesting from an analytical standpoint. :) (I'm more of a Joseph Joestar girl, but chose to shrine Caesar over him for my one page!)

Maybe a creepy character marathon this halloween? XD
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Yeah, I don't see anything weird about it. I mean, my favorite characters in media have often been villains -- I ran a villain marathon for Amassment years ago, I have a site for the most unapologetically evil character in the FF series (Kefka), and no one's ever bat an eye. I like villains and evil/psychopathic characters because they're interesting in completely different ways than heroic characters.

If you like the character, make a site for them. Simple as that.
tonight fate is the
anon

Post by anon »

The only thing IMO that would make people look down on you is if you try justify any sort of problematic behavior a character has. You can like a character, enjoy the work he or she is in, etc. You will only divide your audience only by the way you approach the topic. Even if there are reasons for this character's actions you're throwing yourself in hot water if you try to justify them and make it sound like it's acceptable.

There are reasons for why a character does horrible things but that does not give him or her an easy way out, or deserving of any sort of sympathy.

i.e. in Persona 4 a particular spoilery character is actually quite popular in the fandom but in spite of all the "awesomeness" he is, people tend to ignore the fact that he tried to rape two women, and tried to kill a bunch of high school students just because he was bored. Yeah, he's a psychopath. But does it make it okay? No.
Last edited by anon on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I have shrines to Fox and Krystal and people thought I was a furry. :|
Saya

Post by Saya »

.... oh com'on if I like a character that doesn't mean I approve of his actions... it means the character is well done, and that it actually says something to me, I agree with dragoneyes, and also about the fact Momo pointed out - it depends on how you breach the subject; I can like him a lot but I won't for example glorify the evil deeds they did.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I actually did the whole explanation think for a situation a character was in, but it was more along the lines of "I understand the reasoning because of this and that, but I think x should have done this instead..."