Spoilers

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mikari

Re: Spoilers

Post by Mikari »

Spoilers are relative, but I guess there might be a point where the mayority knows or there are so many spoilers out there that they're going to find out anyway.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Agree with the splash page everyone is talking about - there's a character from Digimon Tamers that one day I'll definitely make a website to that is by definition a walking spoiler (it's
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Beelzemon
) and I was planning to do that. Also have the url be something that's not the name of the character I guess. :B This is I think a case in which a splash page is actually a good thing that you want.
Mikari wrote:Spoilers are relative, but I guess there might be a point where the mayority knows or there are so many spoilers out there that they're going to find out anyway.
No! Even if the thing in question is very popular, it will come a point where its popularity will go down and a new fan that wants to get into the thing 15 years later will be able to without receiving a single spoiler about it. You don't want to slap those fans in the face, either...and even with things that are really popular in their prime time, you can still avoid spoilers. For example: as of now I have defended myself from every Skyrim spoiler since 2011! If I received a major spoiler now - a few months from actually being able to play it - I'd be MURDEROUS XD

I agree with Destinie that some things are just open at this point, but not all of them...unless you're sure that it's one of them, I'd still err on the side of caution.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Lol running away from spoilers sounds like hard work. How do you even go online without seeing the memes? :o Unless you only dodged the big stuff.

I would be surprised if there was a shrine out there without spoilers, unless it's a general species shrine like some of the pokemon sites where the species doesn't necessarily play a big part in the game/anime. I guess I've learned to expect spoilers. XD
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Mikari: There's things like Tumblr Savior and so on that block specific things for you, so all you have to do is blacklist the thing you're avoiding and it doesn't exist for all you know. Then you just have to avoid the obvious spoilery places (fansites/wikis) and it's not that hard actually!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

That's a program? I didn't even know they made anti-spoiler programs. o.O;;
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

It's an add-on and it's not specifically anti-spoiler, more like anti-anything you don't want to see. It's for when you're like, following someone for something and don't care about something else they also post, but it has a plethora of applications among which spoiler defense.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Tumblr is the only place I avoid if I'm trying to avoid spoilers - because tumblr saviour only works if people tag, and unfortunately a lot of people don't. :/ It's great for people who tag consistently, though, and I saviour stuff I actually like just because sometimes I just get sick of seeing the same stuff over and over and over again. (Dear Marvel and ASOIAF fandoms, I'm looking at you) It's also great for NSFW stuff. Basically I think tumblr saviour is fab and I don't think I'd be able to use that site without it. Also: everyone should tag their posts, I just think it's polite.

But I've been seeing spoilers a lot more often these days on Twitter and Facebook, where it's impossible to avoid because it's just THERE, and recently on snapchat, of all places. Someone snap chatted me a few seconds of video of -insert massive spoiler here- from the last episode of Game of Thrones. I read the books, so I knew it was going to happen, but I hadn't watched the episode yet. I'd have been FURIOUS if I was only following the show. Same person also spoiled New Girl on me (which, okay, is hardly GoT levels of plot but she's sending this stuff right after it's aired) and I just think it's shitty and she's already hidden from my FB and I'm ignoring her snapchats. Social media be tricky.

...I'm sure I had a point. I guess I think that people should have a level of self responsibility re: spoilers - like dubious said, don't visit a wiki for something and get angry about a spoiler. But I also think you should be able to check your Facebook feed the day after something airs without seeing spoilers. I think I'd put shrines in the first category, but that a spoiler warning should be on the index just in case, especially if the character itself is a huge spoiler. AGAIN, I JUST THINK IT'S POLITE. :)
a spoony bard