How do you decide what you make a shrine to?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Crystal

Re: How do you decide what you make a shrine to?

Post by Crystal »

Ava wrote:Pre-existing shrines are a factor to be considered for me as well. It's a factor that is weighed lightly, compared to the many other factors in deciding who/what to shrine, but it still affects me. If I can fill in a void in a certain fandom's community, it provides a lot of motivation.
This. I ended up dropping my plans to make a Yuki Sohma shrine because of this. Instead I'm making a Tohru Honda shrine, which I think is for the better because she is a dear character to me.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Crystal wrote:
Ava wrote:Pre-existing shrines are a factor to be considered for me as well. It's a factor that is weighed lightly, compared to the many other factors in deciding who/what to shrine, but it still affects me. If I can fill in a void in a certain fandom's community, it provides a lot of motivation.
This. I ended up dropping my plans to make a Yuki Sohma shrine because of this. Instead I'm making a Tohru Honda shrine, which I think is for the better because she is a dear character to me.
I also agree with that above statement. I almost didn't make my Lloyd Irving shrine back in the day because there were SO MANY other shrines to him at that point in time. I think there were ~ 3 or 4, including fanlistings. But he is one of my favorite characters so I decided to go ahead and make it anyway. Now I am glad I did since all those other shrines have seemed to die out. :(
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Well, in my case it really depends on how much I like the character and the series they're from. For example, some of my projects are shrines to Kai, Watanuki and Chuck&Blair. The idea to make a shrine to those characters came to me practically instantly, from the moment I fell in love with them and the series they're from - I just knew I had to make them a shrine (or at least put them in my projects).

Other times, however, I do have to think about whether to make a shrine to a character/series/relationship or not. Usually this happens when the series is long and re-reading/watching would take me a lot of time, or if there are some elements of the series that I didn't particularly enjoy.
anon

Post by anon »

I just do my favorites, I guess. I suppose pre-existing sites would be a factor since if there's a site that's consistent with my views AND gives lots of good information, I wouldn't feel like there'd be a need for me to go through.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

All shrines are different as they are made by different people, it's those personal touches and interpretation that makes them all worth making/visiting.
anon

Post by anon »

Mikari wrote:All shrines are different as they are made by different people, it's those personal touches and interpretation that makes them all worth making/visiting.
Yeah but if there's already a site that sums up what I have to say I wouldn't feel the need to make the site unless I was seriously devoted to the topic.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Since I'm usually very lazy and I don't have much time anyway, to decide that I want to actually make a shrine I first and foremost need to really really love the subject, otherwise I end up dropping it midway through.
Also there are some cases in which even though I love the subject there really aren't enough information about it. I could always do a more media-centric shrine I guess, but that's not really my cup of tea, if I want to make a shrine I want to add some written content to it. This is also the reason why I usually draft what content I am exactly going to put in the shrine before actually beginning to work on anything else.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Information can be similar, but it is that devotion which leads to further interpretation and development. Also, different media can make a site stand out.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Mikari wrote:Information can be similar, but it is that devotion which leads to further interpretation and development. Also, different media can make a site stand out.
I have the mentality of "someone's already built a site to someone I like and they have the same views as me. I'm not going to bother repeating it." Media can only be so different you know? Fanfiction, icons, scans and screencaps. Those are more or less the same media you find in other places that have a media section. You can only be as devoted as someone else and share the same passion for something. Your views would have to be drastically different for it to stand out.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
anon

Post by anon »

Mikari wrote:Information can be similar, but it is that devotion which leads to further interpretation and development. Also, different media can make a site stand out.
Edit: Editing because my original response was kind of a mess.

I kinda have to go with Eden on this one. You can't really expect people to be so "devoted" that they will come out with different interpretations. And how many people actually visit a website for media nowadays? If they do, from my experience, they only care about whether the media doesn't suck. I dunno, I just feel like you're holding too high of ideals on both visitors and webmasters themselves.