Shrine Stigma

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Chibi

Re: Shrine Stigma

Post by Chibi »

dubiousdisc wrote:Aaagh this attitude pisses me off, also. If you write literary critique to Shakespeare everyone is gonna be all, oooh, you so cultured, congratulations. But then if you write literary critique to an anime character, that's a silly hobby. >_>
Yep, seconding what you said! Also, there's the whole "you should grow up and let go of the hobbies you had when you were younger" attitude, which I also can't stand. D:
Aku

Post by Aku »

Chibi wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:Aaagh this attitude pisses me off, also. If you write literary critique to Shakespeare everyone is gonna be all, oooh, you so cultured, congratulations. But then if you write literary critique to an anime character, that's a silly hobby. >_>
Yep, seconding what you said! Also, there's the whole "you should grow up and let go of the hobbies you had when you were younger" attitude, which I also can't stand. D:
Yeah, I hate that kind of critique. :x Honestly I think that hobbies are hobbies, regardless of age, and if what you enjoy doing in your free time isn't hurting any other living being then it's totally fine. Also, I think that your activity in hobbies can mature as you get older! I know my shrines from when I was 13/14 were nothing like they are now. XD
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Chibi wrote:
I feel your pain, it's almost as bad as the "oh, but that isn't a really adult-like hobby" I encounter at times when I say that I play visual novels (as if playing visual novels is that much different from reading a book, it's 90% written story! ._. ). Like, excuse me, who are you and on what ground you can tell me what I can and can't enjoy doing in my free time?! :/
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@dragoneyes that's really interesting about Visual Novels. When I tell people I want to make otome games, the response I usually get is "COOL YOU SHOULD DO IT!". I guess it depends on who you talk to about it. :\

And as long as you're having fun and you're not hurting anyone with your hobbies, it should be NBD.

I think this is a loaded discussion but I really wanted to see what everyone else had to say about it and share their experiences. It's interesting how people who don't have the same hobbies react. xD I think that shrines are a GREAT hobby. It helps you find people with similar interests and, if you write a lot, it's a great way to keep your writing skills sharp. ;D
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Destinie wrote:@dragoneyes that's really interesting about Visual Novels. When I tell people I want to make otome games, the response I usually get is "COOL YOU SHOULD DO IT!". I guess it depends on who you talk to about it. :\
The key issue is probably the fact that you "play" a Visual Novel, which seems to imply to some people that I'm wasting my time because games are for little children of course. If I said that I "read" Visual Novels and then described them as illustrated novels, I'm fairly sure it would get a widely different reaction in spite of it being still the same thing.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

@Aku & dragoneyes: I totally agree with you! I mean, there's no such thing as an "adult-like hobby" or a "child hobby", there's just... hobbies! And they're for everyone!

I think shrining is an amazing hobby, too, Destinie! :D It lets you connect with people with the same interests and also lets you "take a peek" at their opinions and what they're like when you read their shrines! :)
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I could never tell my parents. My dad thinks I'm wasting my time online enough as it is and that people posting on a forum are not real people, he would never understand.

Plus, y'know. Mara shrine. That's hard to explain.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

nyxmidnight wrote:I could never tell my parents. My dad thinks I'm wasting my time online enough as it is and that people posting on a forum are not real people, he would never understand.

I get that ALL the time from my Aunt and Uncle. They don't seem to understand that people I meet online can be real people too (or at least I consider to be real people). Plus I hate talking to them about my websites because they don't support that hobby and instead want me to get back into drawing which I no longer have a passion for anymore. And then they wonder why I don't talk to them anymore...
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
LadyDB

Post by LadyDB »

Crystal wrote:
nyxmidnight wrote:I could never tell my parents. My dad thinks I'm wasting my time online enough as it is and that people posting on a forum are not real people, he would never understand.

I get that ALL the time from my Aunt and Uncle. They don't seem to understand that people I meet online can be real people too (or at least I consider to be real people). Plus I hate talking to them about my websites because they don't support that hobby and instead want me to get back into drawing which I no longer have a passion for anymore. And then they wonder why I don't talk to them anymore...
I have quite the opposite problem, so I wonder which is worse? For me, it's not that people think I'm wasting my time, it's that they don't understand what I'm talking about. The words "character tribute" and my family looks at me like "But what does that mean?" Tat's usually when I shake my head and go "Nah just kidding, I facebook" and then they're like OOOOOOO ok.
~ Lady DinoBug
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

With my Aunt and Uncle it is much worse because they look down upon everything I do. I dunno if it's intentional or not but to me it really hurts. Shrines and websites are my passions.

If people I talk to don't understand the term "shrine" I answer with "character studies". They seem to understand that term a lot better.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.