Multitasking?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mayumi

Multitasking?

Post by Mayumi »

Does anyone usually work on a shrine then switch to another right in the middle of working on one or sometimes work on two at the same time? And if you do, how do you handle it?
Crystal

Re: Multitasking?

Post by Crystal »

I'm actually working on two at the moment. My Jarod shrine and my Creature Feature shrine. Usually when I work on more than one at a time I get overwhelmed and end up dropping everything for a certain period of time (it tends to vary). However, it seems that this time it's a little different. I think it could be because I absolutely love the subjects I'm working on and feel like I can handle both, or because I'm working on one differently than normal. I'm not really sure. But yeah, I usually prefer to work on one at a time or else nothing much really gets done.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Oh yeah! I do that all the time! I started keeping googleDocs for all the content of my shrines I am working on so that I can type in them wherever I am if I have an idea.

I currently have 3 sites started and am working on a new layout and revamping the layout for Paladin. So I guess that's a total of 4? I go between shrines all the time in the googleDocs. So recently I was working on 2 shrines at the same time: New layout for Paladin and writing my outline for my Creature Feature.

I think gDocs are really handy if you are looking to easily multitask on content for various shrines. :D
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I am actually really terrible at working on more than one fansite at a time! Pretty much every time I've tried, I haven't been able to accomplish anything. Turns out I'm the kind of person who needs to work on one site at a time, completely finish it, and then move on. The only exception to this is if I get really tired of writing about the subject and need a break, but then I usually take a break from site-making entirely instead of switching to another one.

A couple of years ago I was working in retail, though, and used what free time I had to handwrite fansite pages. It was a lot easier then to go from one idea to the next, since I could type them up and work on the content whenever I was in the mood.

So to anybody who can do more than one at once: I'm impressed! I totally can't :swt:
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I usually work on only one at a time because when I'm working on sites I tend to be in full omg omg phase about the subject and that tends to be kinda monopolizing.

Sidenote: Mayumi, with the icon you have currently I totally read your question with a nervous laugh in the tone, haha XD
Saya

Post by Saya »

It actually depends, 90% of the time I multitask, I work on lot of things at the same time. Also because while doing one thing I got inspiration or idea for another thing, so I pass to that and go back. I'll be doing two shrines for Creature marathon, but those two are somehow connected so it's normal for me to work on them. Anyway while outlining and getting ideas for those two (and waiting for my book shipment), I also am working on the layout for a fanlisting and a layout for SilverBlood's 10th anniversary. (and well I'm trying to add new things to my already published shrines, so I actually keep working on stuff I already have online)

But if happens that I'm like dubiousdisc said "omg omg phase" then.... I'll work like crazy on that one shrine - and finish it in 3 days because I would be on it 24/24... an example is my Alistair shrine I did in January (my days were spent on playing the game and writing content)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I multitask all the time, mostly because if I don't have any ideas or ispiration for one shrine, I can switch for a while to another one and go back to the first one when I'm more in the mood for it etc etc...

This being said, at times I too get this crazy "I NEED TO GET THIS OUT OF MY SYSTEM RIGHT NOW" phases, but they tend to last only for a few days and they tend to involve more research than actual writing (incidentally, this is also how I ended up with 20 pages of notes about astrology and stones for my Kaitou KID shrine...).
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Mayumi

Post by Mayumi »

dubiousdisc wrote:I usually work on only one at a time because when I'm working on sites I tend to be in full omg omg phase about the subject and that tends to be kinda monopolizing.

Sidenote: Mayumi, with the icon you have currently I totally read your question with a nervous laugh in the tone, haha XD
LOL! To tell you the truth, I was unsure about bringing up this topic XD;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I used to do that with fanfiction, but stopped.... I've never done it with a site, but I suppose it must be similar. The feeling of doing something different and refreshing after working on the same thing for a while, wondering how to get back into the previous project and pick up where you left off... I suppose taking notes might help, like a list of things that need to be done so you can pick up where you left off and figure out what the best pause/switch points are.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I sometimes build layouts or outlines for multiple sites, but once I get writing, I focus only on one. I try to set goals for myself, like a page a day, and mark off sections on my outline as I do them.