Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
SnowRayjah

Re: Age

Post by SnowRayjah »

Age is irrelevant. I don’t know if that’s because I love being around children that I justify doing silly things. Seriously, if there were a way to reasonably include glitter on shrines, I would probably do so out of the idea that “Glitter is AWESOME.” I do things I love; it’s as simple as that. For me shrining started as a way to take something I really loved doing (writing) and present it in a new way (making a site). I consider myself quite the new shriner in comparison to everyone else. But for me the idea has always been about improving my writing. This is why you’ll see long blocks of text or highly speculative sites from me.

One thing I love about being part of an “older” community is that we’re too old to hate on each other about things we love and enjoy. Even if we’re unfamiliar with the topic, chances are we’re still going to read through a shrine or idea by someone here just to branch out and experience new things. I like to think of Amassment as being too old to hate and too young to give up.

I think the things you hold dear should stay with you and if you love something, you shouldn’t have to “let it go”. Keep it close to your heart, because it could be your saving grace.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

SnowRayjah wrote:Age is irrelevant.
Well said. :) I feel this way about a lot of things, not just making sites or working on shrines.

@Sarah *high fives* YEAH 86! I'm going to be 28 in April. Definitely do not want to stop my favorite hobbies.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Well I started really really early, like 11 or 12 or something like that, I am only 19 years old! But I don't really see myself putting an age on when I will stop. I fell from the community for a year or so because I was overwhelmed with my life, but I came back. I'm sure that will happen to me many more times to come! But, I don't think I'll be drastic and just delete my domain again unless I am 100% sure of what I am doing! I hope that I can continue to make things, maybe things that become more relevant to my age or my life as I grow older. Like for example, I am working on a tribute to Elephants and I am an Environmental Science Major in college right now. The way I am formatting this site is more to spread awareness of these majestic creatures instead of just shrining something I love from a series! I hope to make more awareness sites to environmental issues in the future too! Therefore, I think I may never really stop, and will continue to make things and love what we all do here!!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

I agree! Don't let society stop what you with the things you like to do.! What does it even mean being a grown up? Being a grown up just means that you have more responsibilities, stress, and you see the negative things about the world. Other than that, no one really grows out of their passions, no one grows out of their interest when they are young. Maybe they can forget but it's always there. That's why sometimes we feel nostalgic about the things we enjoy before. lol. Life would be boring if you don't know how to play or be creative. Life is boring if you think too much about what other people say and caged yourself because "that's what others tell me what I'm suppose to do". Shrining is one of those creative things that we can do around the internet. Being creative is fun, and if you think that shrining lets out your creativity from writing or designing, then let it out! And that's something to be proud of. Honestly though, to me, I feel that I get to know the "shriner" from their own shrines not only in their designing but their writing. I find that shrining is like voicing out your enjoyment in your own way and that's really cool.

In art, I've been told that you can never make other people like every artworks that you do because everyone has their own opinion about something. All you can do is be yourself and let yourself out there through your artworks. And some people might not like what you make, but some people would do; and the most important thing is to enjoy it because you're putting yourself out there. lol.. I hope what I said makes sense. haha.

And I'm 24! hehe.
Last edited by Kibumie on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aminuet .。. king
Laura

Post by Laura »

I just turned 30 in April and that's about the same time that I came back to working on my fan sites. :) The last time I worked on them was between 2002-2006 so it's been around 8-12 years since I last put any real effort into this hobby but I started when I was around 12 years old.

The reason why I stopped was because I had started working a full-time job in January 2006. I worked 8hr days and had a ridiculously long commute to and from work -- at least 1hr minimum each way -- so I was gone for around 10-11hrs a day. That left me with very little free time at home, not to mention that it quickly made me feel so worn out that I didn't want to do anything but play video games and hang out with friends in my free time. I actually have tried to come back to making fan sites several times but never really finished anything, sadly. It's pretty much the same story for my friends that used to be into making fan sites. They all have really busy lives and just don't have time for it anymore.

Part of the reason I got back into making fan sites is because I was no longer enjoying graphic design. Since fan sites were what got me interested in graphic design initially, I thought returning to it would once again spark my passion... and it did! I've had so much fun designing layouts, organizing information, writing up content... it's something that I deeply enjoy and I don't think I'll ever grow out of it.

I'm so happy to see that you are all as passionate as I am about the subject. I LOVE seeing people make fan sites for characters and series I adore. :heart:
SnowRayjah wrote:One thing I love about being part of an “older” community is that we’re too old to hate on each other about things we love and enjoy.
OMG this brings back memories of how things used to be, years ago. XD I remember a legion of Zelgadiss fangirls were all in love with him, and hated Amelia so much because she was his romantic interest. Stuff like that is just so silly, and something unique to really young teenagers, I think. XD Definitely appreciating that there's a lot of older people in the community these days.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Lol Zelgadis! I still love him, though I never really hated Amelia. Slayers = <3 I love so many characters from there, though Zelgadis is probably the most well known and Milgazia the most underappreciated.

I love running into people with whom I can remember stuff like this. But even if you weren't around back then, let's all keep on making awesome memories.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Mikari wrote:Lol Zelgadis! I still love him, though I never really hated Amelia. Slayers = <3 I love so many characters from there, though Zelgadis is probably the most well known and Milgazia the most underappreciated.

I love running into people with whom I can remember stuff like this. But even if you weren't around back then, let's all keep on making awesome memories.
I think Zelgadiss and Lina are pretty much the poster children for Slayers. xD And I agree, Milgazia is really underappreciated... there's so many amazing minor characters in that series. I'm really sad that we never got to see the rest of the novels translated into English by TokyoPop... thank goodness fans have started translating them online now; any translations were super hard to come by before.

I still love the series and I definitely plan on coming back to my Slayers fan sites at some point to update them all, even after all these years. :heart:
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Zelas is another character I like, even though very little is known about her, other than she's very cunning. I imagine her being somewhat similar to Xellos. Slayers was what got me curious about Lost Universe by the same author, though that one isn't as famous, I love the sci-fi in it.
Eimii
Time Traveler

Post by Eimii »

For me i feel that shrining and web design in general is just something ive grown up with. I first started teaching myself when i was 12 or 13....and now i'm 26 and still plugging away. I admit i dont have as much time as i used to, so i really have to pick and choose projects, but i imagine i will still be doing it as i get older. Theres even this sweet older lady i share a birthday with and she makes FLs and the like. I believe shes in her 50s....i hope to be like that. Of course who knows what the internet and website making will be like in the future but i plan on sticking it out :D

No one is too old to like something. :D
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@wolfrun *fistbump* Aw yeah! Making fansites is kind of like a "great escape", especially if you have to design professionally. I like the ability to teach myself new web languages and such through making fansites.