Headcanons

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Headcanons

Post by dubiousdisc »

What do you think about including headcanons in fansites? Is it something you do? Is it something you avoid?
Aku

Re: Headcanons

Post by Aku »

I may just be remembering wrong, but I feel like back in the day (when shrines were more ubiquitous) people used to make shrines ABOUT their headcanons. >_> But of course it would definitely be presented that way. After all, Heero x Duo is definitely not a thing in Gundam Wing, but there were a looot of Heero x Duo shrines, haha. Rather than it being a way to present a subject analytically the way a shrine does and maybe open audiences to some theories, I think it was a good way to connect with other people who think the same way you do and try to "defend" why you think that way with stuff that may actually be canon. I definitely met some friends via those kinds of sites! ("OMG you think this and that too? BFFLs!")

I'm trying to think of any areas where things may have gotten a bit headcanon-y on my shrines... the closest thing I could think of would be my Gintoki shrine, mostly because the mangaka is very perceptive to what's going on in the fanbase and fangirl headcanon has come up a lot in the episodes/chapters as a joke. But other than that, I can't say I've used any. XD I guess I avoid it mostly because none of my shrines really present themselves in that way, but I think it would be really fun to make a site totally involved in things I believe in that may not necessarily be true at all, haha. (Also makes me think of humor sites, which were a lot more popular back then too, and I think that humor can be very analytic of characters too. TEMPLE O TRUNKS?!)

I mean a lot of fun doujinshi/fanfiction comes from headcanon, so why not find a way to put it in shrine form? If you're feeling too tied down by what's canon, it's a lot more free-form I think! Maybe it's just important to make sure that people know your approach.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I hadn't given it too much thought until you promoted. I would most likely avoid head canon as I can tend to get a wee bit carried away. As Cherri and I agree, my head canon is AWESOME, execution not so much. I think it would be an interesting approach or section in a shrine though. I'm certainly considering some head canon type stuff with a few shrines I have upcoming. I don't know how that's going to go. Sounds awesome in my head, not sure if it'll be anywhere near as "Awesome" on paper.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
anon

Post by anon »

To me "headcanon" is a fancier and seemingly more validated way of saying "fanon." I would usually not include headcanons unless I'm just rambling about hypothetical scenarios and make it clear it doesn't actually happen in the actual series.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Hmm I wrote an essay on Paladin on why I didn't support Lloyd x Kratos pairing, so I'm sure I would write an essay on another site about something I did support, even if it wasn't canon. That's how I roll.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Considering I have no idea what headcanon means I'm gonna say no. I might consider it though just to get my thoughts out into the open, but nothing in a way that would go "I like this pairing and you should too" or whatever. I like to be mindful of others' opinions while still expressing my own.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Destinie: It warms my heart to know you don't support Kratos x Lloyd.

Crystal: Headcanon is kinda like a mind theater. How it works in your head, is kinda like canon. When you see a scene and your mind goes in a different way than the actual canon. I hope that helps.

I don't think I add my headcanon to sites. I add my opinion but I think that's a little different than headcanon. I don't really like the headcanon sites of "Cloud and Sephiroth total love each other and have so much sex" because honestly it's quite the opposite of that. I try to stay away from it but if I add it, it's in it's own section of random crap or my thoughts. It's not something I generally do.

@Snow: You're headcanon is awesome!
;o; *** pew! pew!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Cherri wrote:Crystal: Headcanon is kinda like a mind theater. How it works in your head, is kinda like canon. When you see a scene and your mind goes in a different way than the actual canon. I hope that helps.
Actually it does a lot. Thanks Cherri!
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Maybe not directly but yes. I mean interpretations are a part of analysis and head canons come from that direction. If you analyze or explain something some of your own opinions will slip into it and that's a big part of what a head cannon is.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

...Maybe I should answer to the discussion I started!

I know it's a thing where people get divided on, but personally I like reading about other people's theories. As long as one is not being delusional and writing as if they were absolutely canon, I see nothing wrong with adding them to fansites. They could add a nice personal touch to a site, I think.

I'd agree on the putting them in a separate page so people can avoid it if that's not their cup of tea. However...What if the fansite is a one-pager? *gasp*
I was more so just wondering what's people's attitude towards this whole approach to talking about things, heh. How much it is liked, how much it is disliked, and if said dislike is strong enough to make people close the tab.

Disclaimer: with headcanon I don't mean wild stuff like Cherri's Sephiroth/Cloud example, I meant more so expanding on the canon and making connections that the canon material doesn't directly contradict. The hopefully less crazy type of headcanon. XD
Mikari wrote:Maybe not directly but yes. I mean interpretations are a part of analysis and head canons come from that direction. If you analyze or explain something some of your own opinions will slip into it and that's a big part of what a head cannon is.
Especially agreeing with this one!...