Have you had any interesting contacts from owning a shrine?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Have you had any interesting contacts from owning a shrine?

Post by Destinie »

What made me think of this is that I just received an email from someone who wanted to submit a Transformers/Starfox Fanfiction to my Krystal Fansite. (At first I thought that he was saying he wanted to write it with me LOL!) I couldn't help myself, I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Since I usually don't get this type of feedback from owning shrines (TBH- I don't think I have a lot of people regularly visit my sites outside of the community.) I had to do some research. Seems this guy has a whole series of these fanfics he's been writing since 2001.

I don't know if I will put it on my site, since I generally don't accept fanfics, especially for my Starfox sites. (Things in the Starfox community get a little weird...)

Have you all ever had something interesting happen? Have you ever met any cool people or other nice sites from people enjoying your own? Share with me your fun and heartwarming (or less than fun) stories.
Todd

Re: Have you had any interesting contacts from owning a shri

Post by Todd »

I think this guy sent me an email for my Knuckles site! Was the email on a lined paper background? He said he has an idea for story with Knuckles, and his email read really weirdly like he wanted me to write the story lol. I will post it and reply properly to this post when I get home. On my phone at work and it's hard to type haha.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I used to get more email like that back before archives were as common as they are today. When I hosted fanfics and fanart in my super sucky early 00's network people would send me theirs, even if my site wasn't all that pretty... then again, sites were generally ugly back then. XD

It hasn't happened lately, though I have received link exchange requests which are very welcomed and appreciated. The surprising part about that is that usually link exchanges happen for me in forums and the like and rarely do I get an unexpected email from someone who just happened to find my network and decided to request a link exchange. More often than not I find people linking me that never asked me to link them back. I link them back when I see them, but really, there's no need to be shy.

Generally speaking, few shrines hosts fanworks now and if they do it's usually a small section with a few select works, since there are many archives where people can post their fanworks now. Maybe that's why we get less emails like that now, though even if I don't have fanworks on my sites now, it's still nice to get comments now and then.
Varen

Post by Varen »

A Guilty Gear fan absolutely loved my Ky fansite and even offered some suggestions I could make to improve it (it did help that I was unaware of a few things, staying away from the fandom and all). She was fairly invested, plugging it on a forum and mentioning me with her fanfics. This same person apparently also had a friend who was interested in Blazblue and offered me suggestions for my Litchi site.

If it weren't for those people, I'd probably would have closed the sites by now due to lack of interest. Though I feel guilty that I haven't worked on them despite all their efforts. :<
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Mikari I had gotten a couple Link exchanges from people outside of a forum, I always get super excited (especially when I find other people like the same lesser-known fandoms hehe). Those are my favorite kinds of emails haha.

@Varen Aww! That's so awesome!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Hehe, all of my real life friends started as people who contacted me about my sites! :>
There's been many interesting contacts but I can think of two in particular - once, a Japanese artist who I had linked in Spark Needle wrote me back, and a couple months ago I received mails about my Anarki page that made me so happy, I didn't know anyone cared about Quake characters other than me ;w;

Varen, aww! Though when I receive good mails about sites that I don't feel that great about I feel a bit guilty because I'd want to close them but...but...!!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@DD Oh wow, that's cool!! :D
anon

Post by anon »

I made some of my friends through fan sites!

I also received some beta requests that had nothing to do with my site and I was like o_O
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

To be honest, I don't receive many emails for my sites! The ones I do are asking for permission to also do character studies (I'm always like, "YES DO IT, I don't own the idea of fansites!"). I received an email asking for all my elaborate details on how I made When it Rains, it Pours and asking for "what defines a character study". I felt silly having to reply that I didn't know what made a character study (not exactly since each person's shrine is unique), it was just that I used "study" for the word "shrine" as I did more studying than honoring. Still it made me chuckle because the tone of the email struck me as having all this insider knowledge and I didn't. I've also had this with some essay type things I've written where people want to do something similar. My response is always "Go for it!", just let me see it when it's done!

I also had a Yakuza fan email me once because of my Goda Ryuji site. They were super excited to see that I had a Kiryu site in the works too. Made me feel pretty good about myself! It's nice to see fans of smaller fandoms! We don't talk a lot but, it was still nice to meet another fan. :D
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I can't say I have. At least none that I remember. :(
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.