Books: past and future

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Destinie

Re: Books: past and future

Post by Destinie »

1. What are your favorite books? "A Wizard of Earthsea"! and I really like CS Lewis's Space Trilogy: "Out of the Silent Planet". I know a lot of people don't care for him due to the Narnia series, but his novels are written very differently from his children's literature. It's imaginative and poetic and I really enjoy it. The second is good too, the third is a little out of place but still enjoyable. :) I read a lot but it's sometimes hard for me to pick a "favorite". I think I'm really snobby when it comes to writing so it's hard for me to pick something that I'm really ga-ga over. Also, I feel like a lot of fantasy books are repetitive.

2. What genre do you prefer to read?
Usually fantasy, but I've been reading more non-fiction books these days. Mostly ancient cultures and user experience books.

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book?
Whatever I'm in the mood for? I admit, I will pick up books that have cover art that I like or themes that I like. For example, I usually like reading books with Talking Dragons, Mages, and Gryphons and will just pick those up because they have themes I like. (I am usually disappointed when I do that...) I like browsing the library and interacting with physical books so I think not having an e-reading device really pushes me to go out there and just browse. I find that's easier for me.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

1. What are your favorite books.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
John Dies at the End by David Wong
1984 by George Orwell
...and wow...those are three completely different genres just right there <_<

2. What genre do you prefer to read.
Fantasy for the most part, though recently I don't seem to find any good ones, but what I like the most are books written with an unusual style (see "John Dies at the End" up there). Supernatural is also very likely to hook me, especially if the author made his homework on the subject.

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book.
It depends really, sometimes I just decide to buy a book because some random people talk about it on the internet, I look it up and it seems like an interesting book. Otherwise I usually go scavenging in a bookshop, checking titles and covers first and then reading the summaries to see if it seems worth the investment.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

His Dark Materials Trilogy
Alice in Wonderland
The Portrait of Dorian Gray
Frankenstein
I am Legend
The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder
Empress by Shan Sa

Horror, dark fantasy, Gothic Fantasy, Historical Ficiton

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book.
Because I want to be a writer, I'll try anything once. I'm generally not too picky content wise. In fact, I prefer to be able to hold a book so that I can skim through the first few pages. If I like it, I'll get it.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

The Velveteen Rabbit
Frankenstein
Alice in Wonderland
The Phantom of the Opera

Don't really have a preference here. So anything except romance.

I read the back of the book, if it sounds interesting I'll read it. I do this with video games too.

Which reminds me I need to finish The Portrait of Dorian Gray and read Peter Pan.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Harry Potter always gets a mention, but as of right now, it's the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. I also really love "The Nightrunner Series" by Lynn Flewelling. I love ASOIAF for its character depth and variety, and how if you really set your biases aside, it's hard to hate any character because when it comes down to it, they're all really well-developed and have good reasons for the way they are. And I love Nightrunner for the world building and wonderful use of prophesy in the first two books especially.

Generally, I like fantasy best, but I also love mystery and action/adventure. But I think the best are always mixed genres that manage to make the best out of each. I get really bored with Romance unless it's paired with another genre (as in there's more to the story than just the "romance").

I browse suggestions on goodreads based on books I've already read, or just word of mouth from other people. Sometimes movie adaptions get me to read the original book.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

- Detective, mystery, classic romance, horror

- google search, but nowadays I don't read any novels at all.
aminuet .。. king
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

There are so many I could put here. Pride and Prejudice, Wolf Hall, the Book Thief, Jane Eyre, (most of the) Women of the Otherworld series, the Discworld series.

I've no preference. I guess I tend to lean towards fantasy and YA, but I read most anything.

Randomly browsing bookshops (staff picks are usually good!), reading book blogs, browsing goodreads, checking other books by authors I like, the "people who bought this also bought" thing on Amazon...I never have any trouble finding more books to read. I have very large to-read pile!
a spoony bard