Awful (or Good!) Book to Movie translations

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Destinie

Re: Awful (or Good!) Book to Movie translations

Post by Destinie »

Ava wrote:I haven't watched that yet, Destinie, but the whole spin on it sounds interesting! And I do enjoy those really old movies.
It's pretty silly but I enjoyed the spin on it being more of two clashing cultures than a zombie horror flick.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I love to read, so I rarely think there's a good movie adaptation.

1) What do you think is the best book to movie Translation?
Although the story changed somewhat, I think that they did an amazing job on Niel Gaiman's Stardust. I loved the movie, I think the story was told better. They changed some things around to make the story happier. I read the book afterwards and was not at all impressed. This is probably the only case of movie versus book that I like the movie better. I also really enjoy the Chronicles of Narnia, but I'm sure that'll change once I read all of the books.

2) What do you think is the worst?
The Golden Compass. Hands down, is the worst movie adaptation I have ever seen. I'm trying not to be picky because a lot of times they cut things out of the movies to make them shorter and they condense the story. But for the love of all that is good, please leave His Dark Materials Trilogy ALONE. I'm glad to have seen Iorek on the big screen, because he is PURE AWESOME, but he couldn't save the fact that they changed so much.

As far as I Am Legend goes, I refuse to see it because I doubt its the same as Matheson's work and that annoys me so much. Though there are several different versions; The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price, Omega Man with Charleston Heston, and then the Will Smith Version with the same title. I might try out the one with Price but truth is I'm much too picky. I also haven't seen any Frankenstein or Dorian Gray movie portrayals. I'm pretty bias. I generally won't see a movie if I know its based on a book, because I just can't enjoy it.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Saya

Post by Saya »

1) What do you think is the best book to movie Translation?
I think they did a great job with lord of the rings, it's normal that some things go amis, but what they did there it was awesome.

2) What do you think is the worst?
One of the most awful transitions from book to movie for me is Pride and Prejudice 2005. I don't think they have chosen the right actors for the roles, especially for Lizzie and Darcy, I know it's difficult to beat what Collin Firth did there, still, I think both Lizzie and Darcy were missing the passion, they were so plain. I remember being excited for the movie and then while watching it, I felt nothing.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Snow I do like Stardust and I haven't read the book. I know a lot of people really like Niel Gaiman but I tried reading American Gods, and while the premise was good, I just didn't like his writing or his choices of what to write about.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Seriously, the D'jinn gay sex scene was enough for me. I had to put it down after that.
But I really like Stardust and think it was really under appreciated! Loved Robert di Niro's role in that film. :D

Has anyone seen the Hobbit, yet? I haven't read the books but I heard the entire story second hand from a friend years ago. (Seriously, we were on a 2-3 hour bus ride and she goes, "I'm bored let me tell you the entire story of the Hobbit in full detail". So I never read the book. It was more entertaining listening to her tell it anyway.) But I am interested in hearing people's thoughts about it.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I would like to see The Hobbit. I read the book for English in HS and I enjoyed it. So it would be nice to see the movie. :) I don't think it comes out till the 14th, though?

Anyway, as for my opinion on book to movie translations: I liked the film version of Les Misérables (1998). Since I haven't read the book or seen the movie in a long time, I don't remember a whole lot of either. But I do remember that I enjoyed both of them. And also how the movie differed from the book in that the movie ends
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
before Jean Valjean's death. One of the few things I recall from the book is his death. It was such a memorable scene for me.
And, to jump from that to a completely silly note (forgive me!), the guy who played Marius in the movie was just gorgeous. :inlove:
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Destinie wrote:@Snow I do like Stardust and I haven't read the book. I know a lot of people really like Niel Gaiman but I tried reading American Gods, and while the premise was good, I just didn't like his writing or his choices of what to write about.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Seriously, the D'jinn gay sex scene was enough for me. I had to put it down after that.
But I really like Stardust and think it was really under appreciated! Loved Robert di Niro's role in that film. :D

Has anyone seen the Hobbit, yet? I haven't read the books but I heard the entire story second hand from a friend years ago. (Seriously, we were on a 2-3 hour bus ride and she goes, "I'm bored let me tell you the entire story of the Hobbit in full detail". So I never read the book. It was more entertaining listening to her tell it anyway.) But I am interested in hearing people's thoughts about it.
Destinie, dear, do me a favor and just enjoy the movie. Seriously. I...never thought I would say that. In all honesty, I can't get passed Gaiman's writing in general. I have tried but I do not really enjoy it. The movie is fantastic! The book is missing much of its magnetism and Robert di Niro's character does not exist in the book. (sadness) Gaiman does explain some things a little better in the book, but, I still think the movie is better by far. Maybe its just the writing style of the book, but, I had a hard time enjoying it. I think mostly, it's the way Gaiman writes.

Not sure how I feel about the Hobbit as I never read the book. I think I'll wait to read it until after the movies though.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Co-signed on the Stardust movie being better than the book. The film is pretty great. I thought the book was okay, but I've never really gotten into Gaiman's adult books. I do, however, think The Graveyard Book and Coraline by him are fantastic.

I read the Hobbit when I was quite young and didn't like it, so I should give it another try, probably after I watch the first film and inevitably love it.
a spoony bard
Eden

Post by Eden »

Trufax: I only want to see the Hobbit because of Aidan Turner. Never was interested in LotR, but just seeing one of my favorite actors in something is enough for me to try and get interested in something. I just hope he isn't a total background character because then I'll sob (such talent shouldn't be reduced to backgroundness!)
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I love Aidan Turner. I was actually in a queue behind him in a shop here in Dublin a couple of years ago. I was staring at the back of his head trying to figure out why his lovely hair looked so familiar before it clicked. He's ridiculously pretty. I'd also watch anything with Richard Armitage in it, too. I'm glad to see them both getting high profile jobs.

I've just read that part I of the Hobbit is 170 minutes long. Considering this is being made into a trilogy I'm actually beginning to feel a little apprehensive. I hope to god my local cinema isn't only playing it in 3D.
a spoony bard
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I haven't read the Hobbit but I heard the entire story second-hand from a friend who was bored on a long road trip. (True facts. She told it really well, too.) My BF wanted to see the movie so we went. It was entertaining but we discussed all the differences from the actual story. In my opinion, it was dragged out and they added more stuff to make it a longer film. 3 Hours is enough time to tell the story of the Hobbit. If he wanted to make a trilogy he should have done a series of short stories instead of stretching out one story and adding stuff to it. (Or he should have focused on a different book series. I think there a many Dragonlance trilogies that should get some screentime.)

I am convinced that Smaug is a metaphor for Peter Jackson himself. He swooped in on someone else's story and made a lot of money and now refuses to give it up.

@Snow ah don't misunderstand me, I really love the Stardust movie. :) (I was mentioning my distaste for his novel American Gods.)