Hello~

New, or have been away from the board for a while? Introduce or reintroduce yourself to us!
Forum rules
New and a bit lost? Check out the Getting Started topic and the Mentor Program!
karenjeane

Re: Hello~

Post by karenjeane »

Hi Nomi - welcome! Great to have more history fans here, as others have said... I've pretty much studied art history but there are lots of other topics and eras that are fascinating for sure.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

Nomi wrote:@Sofia Where do you take your online courses from? I think history is very America/Euro-centric, often times, when Asia and Africa also have a fascinating past! The resources are so limited for them though ;_;
Yes, it's a pity that some areas are overlooked in favour of others :(

I don't know if you've heard of MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses), but that's what I'm using. At the moment I've tried only the Coursera platform, where I'm taking a course in Modern History. I've already signed-up for other courses (like Ancient Greek History or Archaeology and a few others from other areas [s]because I'm nerd like that[/s] XD) which will begin in the next few months. All the courses are free, but some of them offer the possibility to receive an official certificate paying a fee of around $40.00.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the course, granted we are covering a huge period so some things are omitted, but it's helping to cover some gaps in my university preparation.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Mayumi

Post by Mayumi »

Welcome to Amassment, Nomi~ ;D Can't wait to see your work(s), I look forward to seeing them ^_^
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

@Varen Thank you!! I hope I'd have the time (and motivation) to work on them *^*

@karenjeane Thank you!! And oh that's cool *A* How did you find your course?

@Sofia Indeed ;_;. And oh! I've been trying out the courses on coursera too. Well, not really, but I like listening in to the lectures. Social Context of Mental Health is the one I'm following at the moment. I've signed up for the Ancient Greek one as well hehe so maybe we'd be classmates? :heh:

@Mayumi Thank you Mayumi!! ;w;
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

Nomi wrote:@Sofia Indeed ;_;. And oh! I've been trying out the courses on coursera too. Well, not really, but I like listening in to the lectures. Social Context of Mental Health is the one I'm following at the moment. I've signed up for the Ancient Greek one as well hehe so maybe we'd be classmates? :heh:
That's great! I signed-up to the Greek History course as soon as I saw it and I'm really looking forward to it. See you there, classmate :D
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

@Sofia Same here! I hope I'd have time to take it, but I'll definitely be listening in to that one
Todd

Post by Todd »

Belated welcome, Nomi! Sorry; I usually welcome people faster. I have been busy. :X

I can't wait to see the sites you make, and I look forward to getting to know you on here!