Sherlock Holmes

Any series that isn't anime as well as live action movies.
Destinie

Sherlock Holmes

Post by Destinie »

So I finished watching Sherlock and was wondering who else watches and and maybe make a discussion about our favorite renditions of the character and stories.

Sherlock was pretty good but I prefer the more classic Sherlock Holmes with the pipe and the little hat. :D I'll have to go watch the old b/w films on Netflix. I have yet to see the 2nd SH with Robert Downey Jr. How's that one?

Also, has anyone else here ever heard of "Sherlock Hound"? It was an early Miyazaki cartoon series.
Mayumi

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Mayumi »

I totally fangirl BBC's Sherlock played by the wonderful Benedict Cumberbatch *___* Can't wait for S3 ;D

@Destinie: Yeah, I've heard it from the Anime News Network XD It's very interesting ;D
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Destinie: I saw the Sherlock movies with Robert Downey Jr both are good.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Cherri I saw the first one. I was hesitant to see the second but I'll give it shot. :3
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Destinie: The second one isn't bad. There is a super annoying part with slow motion though.
;o; *** pew! pew!
karenjeane

Post by karenjeane »

I watched the first Sherlock feature... Seemed too much like Doctor Who (no coincidence - same producers, writers, etc.) Probably not a problem for most folks, but discouraged me from watching further. I am looking forward to seeing Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain in the upcoming Star Trek fim, though.

I like the RDJ films... They capture the pulpy quality of the original stories that's too often missing from more serious-minded adaptations. Hope they make more.
Yuzuki

Post by Yuzuki »

I love love love BBC's Sherlock! Have you guys seen the original pilot for it? It was cool to see all the small changes between the pilot and the official first episode.

I was never much into Sherlock since my mom was more into Agatha Christie (Poirot and Marple) stuff. So my knowledge of classic Sherlock was mostly what you get from mentions in pop culture. So I thought yet another detective book, maybe someday I'll read it when I'm bored. Then I went to see the first RDJ movie, but I didn't like it very much.

Somebody recommended the BBC version and I was hooked! It was weird for it to be set in modern times but I really liked stories and the acting. It even got me into finally reading the original books, and they were good! Waiting for S3 is been so long!!! I even read some fanfiction for it after I was done with the books.

Did you guys know the show has real personal sites for Sherlock, Jonh and Molly?
earthy

Post by earthy »

Delayed response is delayed: I have loved Sherlock Holmes since I was in middle school (we won't talk about how long ago that was!). One of my first-ever fansites was all about Sherlock Holmes--the original stories, pastiches, different movie/TV versions, background on Arthur Conan Doyle, the works. My favorite part was an essay I wrote called "Why Watson Is Not An Idiot," which has sadly been lost in the sands of time.

Am definitely working on new Sherlock Holmes and John Watson fansites for multiple versions of the characters and possibly a blog reviewing different versions/pastiches as well.

I'm also the second-in-command for a Sherlock Holmes con called Sherlock Seattle (http://www.sherlock-seattle.org)--come check us out this Oct. for our second year, if you're so inclined! ^.^

Personal favs are the original stories, BBC version, Granada series, and Russian version.

{/fangirl squee}
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Earthy OMG that's awesome! I love Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing, so I am hoping to ~eventually~ make it through all these books and get to the complete SH collection. I like the classic icon of Sherlock Holmes a lot. Your essay sounds really intriguing and I would have loved to read it! ;_;

Also, that Sherlock site is fantastic! I love how it's for fans of all the SH reincarnations. :D
earthy

Post by earthy »

@Destinie: LOL I'm sure "Why Watson Is Not An Idiot" will exist again in some form in the near future, as my Extreme Watson Feels require me to revisit over and over just what a BAMF he is when written well (see in particular: Martin Freeman, Vitaly Solomin, Lee Shackleford's Holmes & Watson--http://gulliver.cc/full-length-scripts/ ... and-watson). ^.^

Meantime, enjoy your romp through the original stories + any other versions that strike your fancy! These are fantastic characters who deserve all the love in the world. And the various fandoms, when not being annoying and stupid (as fandoms sometimes are, unfortunately) are super fantastic. ♥