Update pages: how/where do you keep your updates?

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Update pages: how/where do you keep your updates?

Post by dubiousdisc »

I usually just have a line I manually update on each site whenever there's something new. I don't have enough updates to justify a full update log, I think. I tried having one on livejournal at one point but it was kinda pointless in my case.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Same as dubiousdisc. I used to use FanUpdate, but I update so sporadically that it really is kind of overkill, so now I just manually write the updates on the main page of each site whenever I add something new to them.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

nyxmidnight wrote:Actually the version on Jem's site is the latest and safest. That one site for FU3 has inserted ads into the script.
Why do people do this. :nolove: Good to know!
tonight fate is the
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I use Wordpress for mine, but yeah, it also seems like overkill to me - it's just such a bloated piece of software to be using for something so basic, you know? Also, I'm not overly fond of theming Wordpress, hence the current layout I'm using. But I don't really want to do it manually, and I do like that it has categories that I'm just going to link to from each individual site. I like the idea of all the updates being in one place.
a spoony bard
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Thanks for the info, nyxmidnight! If I end up using FanUpdate, I'll use Jem's version.

@ Emma: I'm the same! I like all the updates in one place, it seems more... tidy? And categories are helpful too. Wordpress would be little overkill for me too, though. LJ could do the same thing, but it was off-site and it wasn't a huge CMS like Wordpress, but now it's dead...

I think I might try updating manually at first. I think updates are going to be very sporadic for me too unless I upload an incomplete shrine and want to add stuff as I go along... but it really depends on whether I'll ever upload an incomplete shrine or not. XD; I'm way too indecisive about this.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

After years of experimenting, I found that running a self-hosted WordPress "blog" for all my updates has been the easiest to maintain, though I still supplement my WP updates with manual HTML updates on the various shrines themselves.

(I used to do just manual updates for everything, but once I wanted to connect my site to Twitter, I knew I wanted an update system that automatically sent my updates to Twitter...thus, WordPress plugins to the rescue! :D )
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Reviving to say that, for a large site I'm currently working on, I wrote a little PHP script that makes it so that the footer automatically shows when (and, if necessary, what) was the last edit of the page you're currently viewing. I made this because, unlike many of my sites, this will be a huge site that will keep on updating, so having the last update visible on the page itself is important when you're browsing a currently incomplete media gallery on which you can see that oh, the last update was a week ago, not three years ago, so I will definitely come back and add more things, no need to fret.

I think I'll still have the list of general updates on this site's main page/update page/whatever, but this makes browsing so much easier...
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Dubs: AWESOME! That's a great idea! (mad PHP skillz alert xD)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

@dubiousdisc: I did the same thing for my ancient Pokémon site -- when you have 50+ pages and you're constantly working on the site it helps visitors out a lot to know how dated (or not) some of your content is.
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Robin: Nooo I'm awful at the stuff XD I feel like I made such a kludge and took like two hours to figure it out when it was probably a very duh thing...

Larissa: Yeah the site in question is going to be something of that size! In particular, I'm going to have media galleries of material that has never been put online as far as I can tell, so that's just one more reason why I'd want a visitor to know that yes, this incomplete gallery has been last updated recently, so I am indeed working on it. Not to mention that the series in question is so far on hiatus but might not be over, so who knows how much new content I'll have...But a script like this is so convenient it makes me wish I could use it everywhere, heh. I feel dumb for not having thought of this before when I had that huge Pokémon fansite, honestly.