Headcanons

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Cherri

Re: Headcanons

Post by Cherri »

Sorry Dubs, I go over board and super dramatic like Tamaki in Ouran Host. ^-^

I don't mind headcanon as long as it's not the crazy type like I exampled. And as long as things are clearly marked. I love reading theories. As for putting it on a one page, it can go in it's own little section that is marked "Head Canon" or something. That way if someone doesn't want to read it they can skip it.

I might just add a head canon to see what it's like, if I haven't already been doing it. Hur hur. Hmm, after my one pages, I actually have some big sites planned so maybe there.
;o; *** pew! pew!
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I was gonna say I don't include it, but then I remembered I wrote a page on pairings I had written Roland in on his shrine. Oops :D
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Cherri Aww haha it warms mine to know that there's another person out there who feels similarly.

I think writing about these sorts of things helps add individuality and a fresh perspective to the character in a shrine.
anon

Post by anon »

Going back to this topic and reading what other people have to say has really gotten me thinking when headcanons are appropriate. I think it's kind of like writing an argumentative essay where you discuss details that may be subjective in a multiple amount of ways.

I probably said this already but I think as long as it's marked that the analysis is purely opinion-based, then it's fine. And as long as people are open to other interpretations, that's fine too. I'm just probably jaded from being in fan communities for too long; I'm still rather peeved about the experiences I've had. Some people really take their BNF status to their heads that they start insisting everything about their analysis is correct, even if I did agree with some points they were making.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Yeaaah, and it's not just BNFs. I've seen people say quite literally MY ANALYSIS IS IMPECCABLE AND IF YOU DON'T THINK THESE THINGS THEN YOU'RE DUMB AND NOT SEEING SOMETHING SO OBVIOUS

D: D: D:
anon

Post by anon »

dubiousdisc wrote:Yeaaah, and it's not just BNFs. I've seen people say quite literally MY ANALYSIS IS IMPECCABLE AND IF YOU DON'T THINK THESE THINGS THEN YOU'RE DUMB AND NOT SEEING SOMETHING SO OBVIOUS

D: D: D:
And to that I will respond with, "You need to get laid."

But in all seriousness, it is just a huge pet peeve of mine! I know it's a huge blow to the ego to hear someone say, "Uh, no, I don't agree" but unless you are the creator your opinion/analysis is just as valid as the next fan's

Edit: Going off of that, is there a distinction between headcanon, fanon, and meta? I've heard all of them used interchangeably.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Personally I think meta should be purely based on canon? IMO.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Yeah, it would make more sense that meta is more based on canon, but well, headcanon and fanon CAN also be based on canon and often are, and I've seen meta be used for things that are completely unrelated to canon as well, so they're probably interchangeable overall. On the same topic, what I've noticed is that right now people are calling meta the main course of our old-ass fansites, the essays, except that now they're mostly posts on tumblr blogs. Terms be changing, I suppose.
anon

Post by anon »

That's kind of confusing. I always thought there were some distinct differences with those terms but in places where I think a headcanon is X, someone calls it a meta.

I would think metas incorporate canon information and stuff producers have said, along with personal experiences but IDK. And what is the difference between headcanon and fanon anyway? Is fanon = fandom interpretation, while headcanon = individual interpretation?
neo

Post by neo »

Instead of a shrine, this topic seems more like it would belong in a community-type setting. I love my own headcanons of course 8D; and I love discussing them with others~~

So, maybe something where you can have like-minded people join and discuss? :)
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE