Directory names

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
anon

Directory names

Post by anon »

This is a really silly question, but I was just wondering: do you usually name subdomains/directories after the title of your site or the subject of your site?

Naming directories off of the title of the site indicates that it's easier for visitors to remember. But naming directories off of the subject indicates versatality where it's easier to change your website name if you don't like it anymore, and it gives visitors the idea of what your site is going to be about.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Directory names

Post by nyxmidnight »

Subject for me, always, except for my two main fansites, who have their own urls. It makes for shorter subdomain names to name directories by subjects, too.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Lately I've been trying to be more creative. Such as using Final Heaven for a FF subdomain so that it reads out final.rayjah (which is actually Final Heaven). I probably don't have an actual way of doing things though. I'm pretty relaxed. I wonder if it should bother me that I don't have a set way of things...? I notice most typically that people use subject or character names depending though.

I don't think its a silly question! I think its good to see how others work and get their ideas. It's one way we learn new things and perhaps even find easier (more efficient) ways of doing things.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I generally go with character name, except for a few then for like my portals but those are named "one" and "fan" for one pages and fansites. I don't really name it after the site name, incase I decide to change names or something.
;o; *** pew! pew!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Yeah, the subject, so that if I don't like the title I can always change it later. It also makes it easier to look up the site, I suppose.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Subject. I'll forget what the hell the site is when I log into my FTP otherwise. Go team!
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

We're so awesome naming stuff after subjects. <3 Shiori totally brings up a point. And some site titles are just too long.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I usually name it after the character. Short and simple and if people remember my domain and the name of the character, it's easier to get to the site. xD
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Yup! I like that.

Also if you name if after a subject. Do you go with last or first name or what you know them as?
;o; *** pew! pew!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I name the directory after the subject. I've been doing it that way since I can remember. I don't change site names often, but it does happen, so that is a factor. Also, in a lot of cases the subject's name is shorter than the name of the site, so there's that, too.

Funnily enough, my latest site (Visionaries) doesn't use either the subject (Rapunzel & Flynn) or the site's title for the directory. I didn't use the title b/c of the possibility of a future name change, and I didn't use the subject since it seemed too long. I thought of using "Tangled" but that might be misleading since the site isn't for the movie in general. So I just went with "light", because of the song Rapuznel & Flynn sing, "I See the Light".

@Cherri: Usually the character's first name, but for Elliot I use his last name since he is a detective and is referred to by his last name quite a bit. Plus I think Stabler is more recognizable/unique than Elliot.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.