Animated movies

Any series that isn't anime as well as live action movies.
anon

Re: Animated movies

Post by anon »

Eden wrote:I must be weird because I love all the Land Before Time sequels. I enjoyed singing to them as a kid. They showed me how to be a good friend, I suppose.
Nah, I know tons of people who love The Land Before Time and I'm pleasantly glad someone remembers these series. :)

Uhhh, 2D vs. 3D: I know a lot of people are sick of 3D because they feel it's just pressure for animation companies to create this dazzling magnum opus with amazing, blinding, realistic graphics while discarding the traditional, old-fangled style of 2D animation. I actually don't care about animation so long as the story is good and clearly matches up with the style. :)

I have a bunch of old Disney VHS tapes and have seen a lot of random films, but I don't remember any of them. Since I didn't grow up watching a lot of movies, and apparently by the time you're 10 years old Asian parents think you're too old to watch cartoons, I don't have a favorite, but I do have some pretty weird memories about some of the films I watched.

For example, freakin' Pocahontas: she was the first female lead in a Disney movie that wasn't some white chick; note that I was a little impressionable kindergartener when the movie first came out and I was super excited because oh my gosh she had dark hair and looks more like me than that Cinderella or what's-her-face... and then, when I watched the movie I was supremely let down and was like, "This movie is freaking BORING why did I idolize a character from a BORING MOVIE."
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I really like Miyazaki's movies too. I watched the first Land Before Time and bits and pieces of the others. There seemed to be too many to keep up with. I love the animation of Pixar but not so much into most of their plots, although that might only be because I'm older than I was in the days of classic Disney and prefer my movies with lots of explosions these days... yet I find anime movies so fun, even when they're light.
Ava

Post by Ava »

Sarah wrote:And as for other companies: Anastasia, The Iron Giant, Cats Don't Dance, An American Tail, All Dogs Go To Heaven, and The Land Before Time (just the first one, though, I like to pretend the others don't exist :swt:). Also, if you want to count it as animated, Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
I'm glad you mentioned Roger Rabbit. I liked all those "animation + live action" films in that time, like Space Jam too. If I watched them now, I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much as before. But when I was a kid, seeing an animated character interact with a real person was magical.
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Ava wrote:
Sarah wrote:And as for other companies: Anastasia, The Iron Giant, Cats Don't Dance, An American Tail, All Dogs Go To Heaven, and The Land Before Time (just the first one, though, I like to pretend the others don't exist :swt:). Also, if you want to count it as animated, Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
I'm glad you mentioned Roger Rabbit. I liked all those "animation + live action" films in that time, like Space Jam too. If I watched them now, I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much as before. But when I was a kid, seeing an animated character interact with a real person was magical.
I actually caught Space Jam on the telly a year or two ago and had to watch it again. let me tell you, it holds up. :D I LOVE SPACE JAM. And IA, seeing actual people talk and interact with Bugs Bunny? It was the best thing ever when I was a child.
a spoony bard
Eden

Post by Eden »

Ava wrote:
I watched both now and I enjoy them as much now as I did when I was a child. I think it's just nostalgia and that the movies were so awesome for me back then.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
anon

Post by anon »

Emma wrote:I actually caught Space Jam on the telly a year or two ago and had to watch it again. let me tell you, it holds up. :D I LOVE SPACE JAM. And IA, seeing actual people talk and interact with Bugs Bunny? It was the best thing ever when I was a child.
EVERYBODY GET UP IT'S TIME TO SLAM NOW
WE GOT A REAL JAM GOIN' DOWN

Hahaha. The movie was revolutionary because IIRC it was the first time they used green-screened actors to integrate cartoon characters into the live-action sequences. I thought this movie was funny, though Lola as a sex symbol was kind of ummmm...
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Space Jam was fun. I wish I had seen more Taz in it, since I really liked Taz.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Eden wrote:I must be weird because I love all the Land Before Time sequels. I enjoyed singing to them as a kid. They showed me how to be a good friend, I suppose. I like all of the animation films directed by Don Bluth and I love a lot of old Disney classics. Pixar I'm picky with... I only like Toy Story, Wall-E and Up. I haven't seen Brave yet. :( I like Hayo Miyazaki films though I haven't seen them all yet.

There are tons of things I like and love and to list them all would take too long. I wish there was a My Animation List site or something like that. xD
I actually like some of them too!! XD; I liked #3 and #4!! I watched them A LOT! (I just liked about anything with Dinosaurs, though!) But I think it was #3 that had an interesting plot where they were looking for water and I think #4 they were looking for a magical flower or something? I need to watch them again, haha! I also thought it was funny how they kept going to "The Mysterious Beyond" but they used to live there...o_o; /ramble
anon

Post by anon »

Yeah, #4 was about the magical flower. I remember the plot of that and the first one pretty well. Oh, and the 2nd one because I saw that one the most (my friend has the VHS) and it introduced that one T-Rex.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

The baby trex? I can't remember but it might have been the one I saw a portion of before being dragged off to school one morning.