When did you start making shrines/do you think you will stop

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Kibumie

Re: When did you start making shrines/do you think you will

Post by Kibumie »

Destinie wrote:@Kibumie It may come back to you (and I will be happy if it does! I really enjoy your work.), I am glad that you're keeping your shrines up for now! :D
haha. Thanks Destinie! Yes, maybe when I get into it again and have a nice subject to work on. :heh:
aminuet .。. king
Mayumi

Post by Mayumi »

I started making shrines a few years ago when I came into doing fanlistings. And I don't think I'll stop, unless real life is really taking alot of my free time.
Icewolf

Post by Icewolf »

I started making sites back in 2002-2003, but it wasn't until later that I got the site up and running properly. I started doing it because I'm a huge Star Wars fan, saw that other people had sites and wanted to do my own and I was a fan fiction writer so the focus of my first site was on that. I am still running it, Star Wars Character Cafe and it will be ten years old this year. I did take a break from running it, (but it was online during that time) but never really stopped making sites, while I was at uni - I turned to making fanlistings because I found that they were easy to make and run at a time when I really couldn't find the time to write stories, or to code pages, etc, for stories which other people had submitted to the site. In addition to that, my host decided first to cut the storage space for their free hosting, and then last year, stopped free hosting all together, so my sites are still recovering from the hiatus I had to go on while at uni and from all the changes with the host, but I am getting back on track, now.

It is difficult to run shrines of any kind and keep it consistent on up dating, etc, when real life and other practicalities impact on them so I think that is one of the main reasons why people close them. I don't see myself losing interest in running them, but I will probably need a break from them now and then when I am busy doing other things, or when something happens in my life which means I can't spend as much time on them that I would like.

One of the things which as saddened me over the years is people closing their sites, or when much loved forums become inactive and one of the main reasons why I must carry on with running the sites is because they aren't around anymore, but it does mean unfortunately, that fan bases and interaction with fellow fans become more and more scarce.

As for bullying and online drama, I've learnt to ignore that over the years and I wouldn't let it stop me from running sites. If you give up on running a site just because of one or two people, then they have won the argument and I would much rather they didn't bother interacting with me anymore than losing something which I've put a lot of work into.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

How awesome that you've been running a fansite for that long :D

I guess the thing about fansites closing is that all fandom interaction seems to have moved to tumblr. I don't get it. I feel like an old fart, but I don't like how it's all incoherent keysmashing. I feel like there's no place in fandom as it's now for a person like me who likes things, but is seldom jumping up and down about them, and would mostly like to discuss theories and characters. This is why I keep making fansites, I guess.

On the last point about bullying, I agree with your sentiment. However, speaking from personal experience, the thing is - sometimes the bullying can be much more severe than one or two people, and it can get to the point where it's no longer enjoyable to deal with something you used to like. I admire your balls and I absolutely agree with your point, but sometimes the pressure can get really unbearable in spite of your best intentions.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Re: Bullying. There have been some cases where I wanted to just stop liking something because of the other people in the fandom. (IE: Pokemon) Not anyone in particular, but it seems in places like Tumblr or Pokememes, there's just a lot of angry people. I feel like I can't connect with people like that and feel exiled from the community.

I'd have to agree with Dubiousdisc, that has to be one of the reasons I can continue to make fansites. I am able to have some sort of web-presence but am not forced to partake in a lot of the bullying and shaming that goes along with larger fandoms. I also enjoy being able to talk about my theories and hypotheses and not be negatively challenged. So having that outlet is helpful and refreshing. ^_^ And if other people enjoy them (whether or not they share the same interest in the fandom) that makes it more worthwhile for me to work on them!