Has a shrine ever gotten you into a fandom?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Cherri

Re: Has a shrine ever gotten you into a fandom?

Post by Cherri »

I'm not sure it has happened to me. But looking at Destinie's Ur shrine Asunder and Varen's Bayonetta shrine Diva May Cry made me want to play the games. So I guess it counts, maybe. And Saya's kingdom Hearts site, Inter Somnia, makes me want to pick Kingdom Hearts again (after much hatred for the game).

I do like looking at sites to fandoms I love though.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I can think of at least one case where this happened. Samantha's Yomi shrine made me want to go watch Ga-Rei, which I actually did.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

(I should reply to my own discussion!)

ATM I can only think of one site that ever got me into a fandom/series. It was one of the shrines made for the very first One-Page Shrine Marathon. The shrine was named Memento Mori and it was dedicated to the book Life of Pi. I believe it was Aranie of beatbox-bandits.org who made it, so sadly it is no longer online. :( Anyway, I remember reading through the site and thinking how interesting the book sounded, and that I wanted to check it out right away. So I went to my library and borrowed it. I'm really glad I did, too, because I enjoyed the book immensely!
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Amy's "Storybook Children" shrines got me into Utena. I just stumbled upon them while I was working in my HTML class back in high school and they got me to watch the series. It's my biggest fandom next to DBZ and Sailor Moon. :)
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
anon

Post by anon »

Yes, a shrine has gotten me into a fandom before! I have to admit my longtime interest in Ojamajo Doremi was actually brought by many Ojamajo Doremi fan sites back in the past, especially Candy Flower. Candy Flower inspired me the most even when the website owner only used her fanart for the website, and her design was so cute it made me check out the series itself! I've never had any problems about spoilers, since I often read them anyway or the websites don't post them.

I've heard that my own Ojamajo Doremi site has also gotten people interested in the show too, as well as my Futago Hime site.

Also, back in 2004, I first came upon Live Start! (run by Sepia of hachiyou.com) and it got me into Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch because it was so colorful and looked fun. Her Kirarin Revolution fan site has also gotten me into the series briefly (which I dropped because it was nothing but pointless filler).
Mayumi

Post by Mayumi »

Yes. I'm not sure who's shrine it was, but I know it was Symphonia related. Suddenly, it got me into Tales of Symphonia, afterwards, I got into more Tales ;D
earthy

Post by earthy »

YES! Lorelei's Lonely in Gorgeous (http://yukiko.trafuri.net/) got me started on my Persona craze, which is leading to at least two related fansites in the near future....
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Frickin' Mikari. (That's the summary. With all the love i hold for my older sister. <3)

Has a shrine ever gotten you into a fandom/series?
Yes! This happened recently when Mikari put up Reset for Homura's Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Actually, I'm pretty open minded, so if someone suggests something, I'll go check it out. This is one reason I have a long list of books and games stacked up.

Since you weren't already familiar with the subject, why did you visit the shrine?
Mikari made it! I always try to look at her sites even when I'm terribly unfamiliar. In part because we have similar tastes. I thought it was cool that usually techy Mikari watched a magical girl anime considering I know she likes shiny technology (not that she hates shiny magic, I just think she gets bored with them). The fact that it was also someone that Mikari seemed to relate to made it more interesting for me.

Did you at any point during your visit decide you want to check the series out and stop reading to keep from spoiling yourself? Or did you just read all the content anyway, then go ahead with giving the series a try?
I read all the way through Reset because Cherri had started reading the manga and seemed distraught. SO, I decided to read all of it. That and I can't stop reading once I start. I have to read it all. I enjoy it! Spoilers don't bug me, especially not in such a short series. Then I went ahead and read the manga (and was thankful I'd read Reset beforehand as Mikari explained some things very well).

Do you think the subject alone was enough to garner your interest, or did the shrine owner's presentation and effort help intrigue you?
In some way I think it was a combination of both. Without Mikari presenting the subject I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day as I tend to be wary of magical girl stories. I would have tried it eventually I think, but I read it much sooner because of Mikari and Reset.

After experiencing the series yourself, did you find the shrine's info to be accurate?
Yes! Mikari presents information very well. <3 Reset made a lot of the finer details much easier to understand and I felt less lost than I would have if I had just randomly picked it up. I was also much more prepared for the horror elements.

And finally, have you ever made a shrine for a subject whose fandom you were introduced to by someone else's shrine? I made my Mami shrine in response to reading through Reset and reading the manga for Puella Magi Madoka Magica. So yes. ^_^
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.