Typographic practices

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Destinie

Re: Typographic practices

Post by Destinie »

I don't think Arial is awful at all and I know lots of people who really love Helvetica. It's a nice, clean font, but I agree that Arial does have its own personality. I rather like using Arial on my websites. Also, it's browser safe for the most part.

I think when designing for a shrine, Typography is really important. Like you said, Dubious, why bother to try to read it if it's not readable? Especially if you have a lot of text, making the site readable is really important. For my shrines, I also try to make the width of the text container to be a set size, usually a small space, even though you need to scroll to read (no harm in scrolling!!) it's easier on your eyes to read in a small space. I try to keep that in mind, too.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Oh yeah that too. What do you consider to be the optimal width? I try to never make it wider than 50% of the screen width.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

dubiousdisc wrote:Oh yeah that too. What do you consider to be the optimal width? I try to never make it wider than 50% of the screen width.
it depends on the layout and the layout depends on the theme and content. I like to keep the text at least 10px away from the div margin and at least 50px (usually more) away from the edge of the screen in the rare case of having a layout that doesn't have a (visible) div containing the text.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Optimal width for me is usually between 600-800px (sometimes smaller if columns are involved). I still *try* to optimize for 800x600 resolutions because, believe it or not, there are people out there who still use it. (But I don't know if they're browsing any of my sites or not, ha!) Plus, it's a little nicer to read on a huge screen. :x
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Destinie wrote:Optimal width for me is usually between 600-800px (sometimes smaller if columns are involved). I still *try* to optimize for 800x600 resolutions because, believe it or not, there are people out there who still use it. (But I don't know if they're browsing any of my sites or not, ha!) Plus, it's a little nicer to read on a huge screen. :x
I tend to decide that sort of stuff based on site stats, and it seems that no one accessed my site with a 800x600 in ages, so nowadays if I make a layout that requires horizontal scrollbars for that size, ah well...Might be going a bit off topic, but I try to optimize for 1024+, expecting people to use something between 1280 and 1600. I seem to have a lot of visits from someone with a 1920x1080 and woah holy shit how do I make anything readable at that size even with my huge fonts @_@
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

[s]Impact all the way![/s]

I mostly use Verdana since, well, practically most of the internet has it and it's easy to read by the majority. I do use Arial and Tahoma here and there along with Palatino.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Have any of you ever seen Comic Sans Criminal?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Yes and it's still the best thing ever XD

(Although I have a frothing to the mouth disagreement with even just suggesting to use Comic Sans for actual comics, even saying that there are better fonts, because NO NO NO NO NO NO)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Seconding that. I haven't been able to justify the use of Comic Sans at all in this era. It was OK on beanie baby fansites back in the day but now? NO. Not when you can go to places like dafont.com or blambot.com and download FREE and wonderful fonts for comics. I always use Anime Ace and sometimes use Manga Temple.

Am I getting off topic or is this thread distinctly typography in all its use-cases? :P

Also, I found this great news article a couple weeks about that highlighted a good free screen-font for web users with dyslexia: http://www.happynews.com/news/1092012/f ... ferers.htm