Shrine names

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Crystal

Re: Shrine names

Post by Crystal »

How do you come up with the names for your shrines?
It depends a lot on the subject. Sometimes I'll think of a name from a song, or an ability they use, or some phrase I feel somehow fits them. With Pokemon I generally use a move or skill.

What sort of names do you like to give to your shrines?
I want something that fits who they are, or something I can connect with them. Sometimes I'm weird and give shrines names that come from something else entirely (ie: Radiant Dawn is also the name of a Fire Emblem game)

What sort of names do you like in other people's shrines? Any favourites?
Man this is tough. I know there are a lot but I can't think of any right now. Ugh.

What advice would you give to someone who is struggling to find a name for their site?
Think of several possible ideas and then ask your friends which they like best. Works every time for me.

What names did you almost give to your shrines, but didn't?
I almost called Lullaby Hyrule's Princess which was the name of the fanlisting when I had adopted it. It didn't really sit with me to want to keep it so I thought up something else instead. Also Shuriken I almost called Ninja Frog.

Are there any names you're currently unsatisfied with and would like to change?
I am totally unhappy with the name Wyvern Friend and want to change it but I can't think of anything better. Sentience also feels kinda weird, but again can't think of anything better.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

I struggle a lot with site names, but I tend to think about the subject and how they/it can be described. Sometimes, in rare cases, I'll have working title right from the start (e.g. for Momiji I'd decided on it right away), but most of the time it'll take me a while to come up with something.

I'd like for the name to be related to the subject, but not necessarily directly evident, if that makes sense? But I feel like often I end up with very cheesy titles. :x

Hmmm... I've never really thought about this, but I love to browse through Shinju's sites because I think they sound very pretty!

What advice would you give to someone who is struggling to find a name for their site?
Try asking other people for suggestions! Sometimes I know what kind of name I want, but I can't come up with an actual title, so by explaining it to someone else, maybe they'll know something fitting your description!

I once made a layout for a planned site and thought I had the perfect name for it, but while I was browsing around I found out the fanlisting for it has the exact same name, haha. I contacted the owner and they said they didn't mind if I named my site the same thing, but considering it's for the same subject, I'd prefer to name it something else.

Not for my current shrines, but I do have a few fanlistings I'd like to have better titles for.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

How do you come up with the names for your shrines? What sort of names do you like to give to your shrines?
I usually consider the theme and personality of the subject and/or series! Sometimes I like to use wordplay of different languages (though I haven't done this in any COMPLETED shrines, I have a few in the works with it!). Wordplay in general is pretty fun, Fairy Deadly is probably one of my favourite titles I've ever come up with. I also like to use names of weapons or items from video games sometimes, for example, Dark Matter is an item from Final Fantasy but has nothing to do with Pokemon, though it still fits as a name for my Giratina shrine. :>

Coming up with names is probably one of my favourite things for shrines, albeit it usually takes some time for me to come up with them because I'm very picky about names.

Ohhhh, yes!! Everyone does such a good job with names!! Anything that sounds pretty really...

:star: Braveheart
:star: Brave Song
:star: Rock Steady
:star: Stormfall
:star: DIVIDE
:star: A Murder of Crows

To name a few!

Experimentation!!! Try all different kinds of avenues to come up with names, whether it's song lyrics, series references, the thesaurus, or looking up words in different languages, you can only get a feel for what you like by trying different things. I personally really like looking up song lyrics for music I feel reminds me of the subject.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Shower/pre-sleep inspiration! Or song lyrics, that works too.

Short and ironic, apparently? Also puns. But I like very short names. Between 1 and 3 words.

It took me forever to understand why Todd had named his Tidus shrine Poltergeist but now I do and the cleverness hurts.

Walk away from it for a bit! Inspiration works best when you're not straining to produce something.

Bonus Questions

Oh boy. My Chiaki Tachibana shrine almost got named Not What Darwin Meant in reference to her Reason strongly promoting Social Darwinism in the sense commonly understood on the internet (survival of the biggest, meanest mofos) but yeah, that was a little too sarcastic even for me.

I also wanted to make a dick joke in the title of Mara's shrine but that felt a little too obvious.

Yes.

My Gale (DDS) fanlisting was named Token Sane One and dammit I cannot think of a better title for the shrine.

My Junpei Iori/Akihiko Sanada fl was named Emperor & Magician; the shrine will be named Senpai Noticed Me!.

My Roland shrine was named Facing Destiny; the revamp will be called Dharma.

My Vergil tribute/fl was named Broken Mirror; the revamp will be named Stronger.

My Dante/Vergil fl was named Highway to Hell; I kinda want to rename it but I don't know what to name it.

My Lucifer fl was named Morning Star but it's a little too obvious?; I intend to title his shrine L'énigmatique Monsieur D..

My Renji/Ichigo shrine's working title is Stray Dog Under the Moon but it's not terribly clever.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone