Time and Character types

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Time and Character types

Post by Destinie »

Have you ever thought about making a shrine to a character at one point in time and then later realize that you don't like that character as much, or at all, as you used to? What did you do then?

I was thinking about this because I just finished watching FMA: Brotherhood. (Again, I am always behind on my anime lol) Back in 2004, when it first aired on Cartoon Network (the original FMA anime), I was really into Ed...and I HATED Roy. I was a total Ed fangirl. I watched the entire series, I had an ed plushie, tshirts, keychains, one of my favorite shrines was notashrimp.com! Several years pass, I'm not as huge as a fangirl but I still really love the new series and the manga. As an artist, I really love her art and storytelling. Anyway, now I realized that I didn't like Ed as much anymore...and I liked Roy AND Greed more than I used to! I'm not fangirling over it but I found that I appreciated his character and development a lot more than Ed's.

I never did make any FMA shrines. I still like the series but I don't think I'll be making any character shrines. I don't know if it's just that I can't really identify with the characters as much or I just like too many of them. XDD I just don't seem to have the passion like I had for the other characters I have made shrines for.

How about you?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Time and Character types

Post by dubiousdisc »

Eeeeh...I would say my largest shrine is for two characters I don't like as much as I used to. >_> I think I'll just...keep it archived as it is? I would say that site was my baby at the time, so as things are now I don't think I'll get rid of it too soon, but...D:

Then my Malice site was actually the result of wanting to make a shrine for Serene. I went to replay the game all sure that I wanted to make a shrine for Serene, and in the meanwhile I realized that I preferred Malice and made that site instead. No biggie. XD
Saya

Post by Saya »

Mostly for me it happens, not that I dislike the character, but the fact that I'm not in to the series anymore, so that's the problem, when in the end I don't make the shrine for that character =)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

My liking for characters has grown or lessened over time, but not to the point where I no longer like a character I liked. As for shrining, there are characters that I like a lot, but if I fangirl them I won't want to write much because it'll be one big pile of fangirling and I'm better off expressing my liking for such characters with stories and art, rather than plain old information. If I like a subject a lot writing articles seems too boring to be good enough, I'll want to do something truly creative, rather than tear the character to pieces (in a non-critical way) just to figure out their every thought and motivation for analysis.

Besides, if the series or multiple media is too long or too much, if it involves too much research to be accurate and complete, it'll kill my motivation too. Shrines where I can say all that needs to be said with no repetition in 8,000 or 10,000 words are more my thing. But there are characters with so many details to their story, so many important scenes and relationships, that I would end up going on forever and it'll take too long to finish. The only project capable of keeping my attention for more than a week are fanfics. For shrines I expect to be done in a week, two weeks if I need time to take and arrange screen shots so that it's not a wall of text (that is much more time consuming than the simple task of actually writing the information).

It's easy for me to rediscover my liking for a series I used to love (unless I abandoned it because it was too long), so the not being into the series scenario is not something that commonly happens to me.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Also pretty much everything Mikari just said. There are some characters I love that I am truly afraid to tackle because of how much effort a shrine to them would require D:
anon

Post by anon »

Yes, I have. I made a Michal shrine because the vocal 14-year-old girls in the Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch fandumb were like, "OHHH SHE'S A SLUT GETTING IN THE WAY OF THE MAIN PAIRING'S RELATIONSHIP" so it was made in retaliation and, "OHHH WHAT NOW MOFOS" but later on I realized the character wasn't my favorite anyway but it's more because of the fact I discovered how much the manga really sucked as a whole due to mediocre storytelling.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I've had lots of those (lots I think is kind of an understatement though...). In each case when I decided I didn't like the character so much I pretty much just dropped the idea and left it at that.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I've thought about it, and I can't recall this ever happening to me. For me, it's more along the lines of what Saya said, in that I will tend to lose interest in the series rather than a character.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I've had the opposite happen to me. When I first played Final Fantasy X, I hated Tidus... I thought he was whiny, I didn't like the way he looked... I replayed a few years later, and I found I had a deep respect for Tidus, and after thinking about him more, he became one of my favorite characters ever.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Totally. In fact, I confess that the only characters I still like that I've made sites for are Litchi, Bayonetta, and maybe Aphrodi. It's not so much that I hate the characters now, but it's more of the fact that my fangirling has died down and their topics just depress me. (Naoto is pretty much the fetishized character in recent editions, rather than a kind portrayal of genderqueer characters that I thought she was; Zero just got TOO popular for my tastes; Arc System Works and Tales Studio in general just offend me lately, etc.)

I've tempted to close them, but to be honest, I'm just too lazy to make drastic changes right now. The only thing I did was froze my Ky site.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again