Omitting Character History: Yes, No?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Omitting Character History: Yes, No?

Post by Robin »

I agree with all the points above, and want to add that I took the prescribed approach with my Dove site. I chose to focus on "Prime Earth Dove" rather than "New Earth Dove," because I didn't care for all the weird retcons they toyed around with in the late 90s/early 00s...so I just made a note that I was only focusing on the 1988-1991 comic run on the front page of the site, as well as on my site info page. (However, I did address a particularly UGHHHH point about the New Earth Dove bullshit content in this essay, LOL.) So you could definitely handle the objectionable part of Black Cat's retcons like this if you wanted, even going further in depth than this.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Ah, thank you so much, everyone! :D I'm so happy to see so many awesome answers in the time I was AFK. <3

I think I will create an entirely separate page for "The Evil That Men Do" and talk about why I don't like it. Since it IS mentioned as being canon on several places, I think it's important to not omit it entirely from my site and you guys are right... it'd be a great opportunity to talk about why it's bad in relation to the Black Cat as a character.

IN FACT I WILL DO THIS RIGHT NOW. I just re-read the last few issues and I'm roiling!! Best make use of this energy and write and enthusiastic rant!! XD

BTW Robin, I don't blame you for focusing solely on one version of Dove. It seems like after a certain point, comics decided to not give a crap about any and all consistency. -_- I can't even say how many times after the 90's that Black Cat has her P.I. firm or not, or has powers or not... sigh.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

This reminds me of the 3rd Madoka movie, which I didn't like, and considering including it on a Homura site I had back then. Though I never got to that, my plan was to put it in a separate section and explain my thoughts about it, why I felt the way I did and how it affected what made me connect to the previous conclusion and Homura's character. Although not talking about it is fine too... so I'm basically repeating everyone else, including you. XD Anyway yeah... here's some extra encouragement. XD
Laura

Post by Laura »

Ahaha thank you, Mikari. xD I spent a couple hours the other night writing up a review about it! So I'm definitely just doing what you were thinking of doing; including it in a section of its own with my opinions on it. <3<3
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

That's great, I'm glad you found a way to make it work. :)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I might be late to the discussion but I think this is a really interesting topic!

I am the kind of person that would try to cover EVERYTHING but I think that if there's something you didn't really want to talk about then you don't have to. I am thinking about my Koma bros shrine and how there's so much crazy stuff that they do in the anime that I just gave up trying to talk about all of it. I think that's a neat thing about shrines is how you can determine what you want to talk about. :)

Alternatively, you could also talk about things that didn't happen. Heh.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I'm the same, Destinie. XD I want to cover EVERY aspect of a character when I make a shrine. I usually just focus on canon material so it feels really strange to leave something out because I personally don't like it; the mini-series I mentioned specifically, there are a lot of people who did enjoy reading it for whatever reason. So I feel that it wouldn't be fair to them (or new fans altogether) to omit that stuff. That's why I'm loving the idea of putting it in its own section. :D Totally perfect compromise! XD

I think it's okay to omit details that aren't strictly important to the character. Like you mentioned, all of the crazy stuff that the Koma brothers do in the anime; mentioning a couple instances are probably good enough to get the point across and anything you don't mention isn't vital to their character history. :D
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

wolfrun wrote:I'm the same, Destinie. XD I want to cover EVERY aspect of a character when I make a shrine.
I think people like us should just focus on the bare minimum and then go from there hahaha xD; it is reassuring to know someone else feels that way. Sometimes I feel bad if I don't talk about everything because then I worry my site is too incomplete. But for a shrine, does completeness matter? If we are just expressing our thoughts and opinions then I would say no. I am torn!! I keep going back and forth with myself haha
Laura

Post by Laura »

Destinie wrote:
wolfrun wrote:I'm the same, Destinie. XD I want to cover EVERY aspect of a character when I make a shrine.
I think people like us should just focus on the bare minimum and then go from there hahaha xD; it is reassuring to know someone else feels that way. Sometimes I feel bad if I don't talk about everything because then I worry my site is too incomplete. But for a shrine, does completeness matter? If we are just expressing our thoughts and opinions then I would say no. I am torn!! I keep going back and forth with myself haha
I think if someone focuses on the bare minimum for their shrine and then works on adding more after it's open, it can be a lot less daunting! I kind of want to do that for my own sites but I get carried away. XD

I also worry about my site feeling too incomplete... But I want my shrines to act like a compendium of sorts. You know, like a one-stop spot for everything related to the character! I think I mentioned this before but some of my sites were originally created because it was quite hard to find accurate, canon information online. I wanted to make sure that I could give visitors everything they could want. Now a days, with all the wikis out there, it's easier to find information but I still feel like I want to include all of that stuff (in more detail hopefully). I think that's why I include so many summaries; it's nicer to have all those details there if people want them. XD

If the site is solely about your own opinions, then it doesn't really matter about completeness. I think it depends on what you want to do: focus on essays, focus on character information, or both? In the end it doesn't really matter because there's no right or wrong way... it's just what YOU feel like doing. Personally, Destinie, I like to read all that stuff about a character so I like trying to go for the completeness goal. XD

For my Uranus/Neptune shrine, I left out stuff about the musicals and games because I feel like they're covered on another shrine in such detail that I'd just be replicating it. I would like to include games on other sites though (I'm planning on it for my Black Cat shrine). :D