Shrines to Same Characters

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Camy
Administrator

Re: Shrines to Same Characters

Post by Camy »

How do you feel when you see multiple shrines to the same character? Do you like seeing shrines to the same character?

I love it! I grew up seeing some for Inuyasha sites and I figured "I want to as well!" I loved to read all the different ways people chose to present the character, as well as the different writing styles. Essays and theories too if they have any.

How do you feel when it's a character you have already made a shrine for?

More the merrier! It's great seeing other people like the same characters as I do to make a site for them. Of course, so long they don't copy&paste and instead write in their own words.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Destinie wrote:Out of curiosity - how do you feel when you see multiple shrines to the same character? Do you like seeing shrines to the same character? How do you feel when it's a character you have already made a shrine for?
I'll talk about making a site to a character someone already has a shrine to first. For me, this depends on what I have to say. If the other shrine covers the character completely, and what I'd write would be largely the same, I won't make a shrine to that character, even if he's one of my favorites. Adversely, if a shrine exists for a character, and the webmaster has different views than I do, or didn't cover things I would write about, I'll absolutely make the shrine, because I'd have something unique to say!

I guess if I saw a shrine pop up to a character I have made a shrine to, I'd think about it the same way. I'd love for shrines to characters I have shrined to pop up with different views, or interesting articles about things I have never thought about. If a shrine popped up to a character I have shrined, and our views were the same, and they just rehashed the analytical sections I have written, I'd be kind of annoyed. I've had articles on my shrines stolen and reworded in the past, and while I'm not a confrontational person, I can't say it didn't annoy me.
Anise

Post by Anise »

Destinie wrote:Out of curiosity - how do you feel when you see multiple shrines to the same character? Do you like seeing shrines to the same character? How do you feel when it's a character you have already made a shrine for?
I generally like it. I find different people have different perspectives on the same character and will often write very different shrines based on how they see the character. I find that it perhaps makes it more interesting because it gives a view of what the character is like, especially if I haven't read/watched/played/etc. the series.

When it's a character I made a shrine for I struggle with it because I have this kind of inferiority complex where I'm always so concerned the other person's shrine is better than mine and like why would anyone read mine when they can read theirs. On the other hand I think it encourages me to improve so that my shrine is more on their level.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I love seeing multiple sites to the same character! I think it really highlights the unique take of each author. :D

...But as for what concerns making a shrine for something that already has a shrine, personally, um, I kinda have an issue with that because I wouldn't want anyone to feel like I'm trying to one-up them...So I might end up not doing that. Nevermind whether I would be able to do justice to the subject or not, I am even more afraid about hurt feelings... :(

On the other hand, if I had a shrine and someone else did a site for the same character, I'd be crying with happiness!!
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

I like seeing shrines to the same character/subject; people tend to talk about different things and have different views, so there's always something new to learn! I just wish I could apply this to my own thinking, because while I don't mind anybody making a shrine to something I (would have) shrined, I don't know if I would attempt to do the reverse, because I'd worry about being influenced by that shrine's content. :x
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Todd wrote: If a shrine popped up to a character I have shrined, and our views were the same, and they just rehashed the analytical sections I have written, I'd be kind of annoyed. I've had articles on my shrines stolen and reworded in the past, and while I'm not a confrontational person, I can't say it didn't annoy me.
This is awful! And definitely a problem! No one should ever plagiarize and most especially a shrine when it's done for personal reasons or recreation. At that point, what does that person gain from having a site up when they didn't even do their own work? /fume