What have shrines taught you?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Crystal

Re: What have shrines taught you?

Post by Crystal »

When it comes to writing content the only person I can write better than is myself. Sometimes I compare my writing style to other people and discourage myself because I cannot write content like them but then I remember I can only do what I am able. So what if I can't write long essays? I'm still proud of what I do.

Also I learned some cool things about butterflies.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Crystal wrote:When it comes to writing content the only person I can write better than is myself. Sometimes I compare my writing style to other people and discourage myself because I cannot write content like them but then I remember I can only do what I am able. So what if I can't write long essays? I'm still proud of what I do.

Also I learned some cool things about butterflies.
This is a great thing!! Learning not to compare your work to others and be proud of what you can accomplish is stellar. Good for you, Crystal!

At the cost of sounding like a repeating chorus, I also have learned a lot about webdesign and coding! I have a tendency to try new things a lot, and it's influenced my style and way of writing quite a bit. I'm also a lot more critical of my own writing because it has actually become something I find myself really good at, and I? don't think I am good at a lot? So I like to challenge myself to get better, which is something I never would have learned or discovered if it weren't for shrining. :music:

In creating a lot of my Persona tributes, I got to delve a lot more into my knowledge of tarot, which is something I've always been interested in, as well as Greek mythology. It's one of the many reasons I really enjoy creating Persona fansites. It's a lot of fun to learn about both! As well, in my Tharja shrine, I had the opportunity to learn about Dark Magic, which was really interesting. o:
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Whaa! Great topic! Just yesterday I made a comment to my husband about Giovanni's Japanese name is Sakaki and all the symbolism there (some back story, I was playing in the snow and I built a shinto cat priest thing?? IDK I started off making a begging cat and then put a piece of evergreen branch in its paw so it looked like it was offering it so anyway...). There are TONS of useless facts I now know thanks to writing shrines basically:

- all the history of any of the characters ever
- The supposed origin of Komainu
- How there are a gazillion origin stories for Maneki Neko and no one knows the real one
- How Starfox Adventures, and other nintendo games, were going to be a totally different game until they slapped known characters on it

And other things...

But I think doing shrines have also helped me to learn a lot about my writing style, how I gather and process information, and how I make that information accessible and enjoyable for other people. It has helped develop a sort of non-fiction writing style.

On top of that, it's also helped me to learn a lot of coding skills and techniques that help me in my every day job! (Yay PHP and Angular JS)

So I, personally, continue doing shrines as ways to learn and grow and expand on my current knowledge base. I have always felt that they are key in helping me to stay in touch with current web trends and technology.

Shrines have also given me insight into other people's writing styles and work. And it has also taught me how great it is bringing people together who have varying interests but are all able to talk about that one thing: shrining. And it has, in turn, helped me to learn about those other people and form friendships over the internet. What an amazing thing! :)
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

I love making shrines for many reasons, but my favorite is how much I learn about the subject, as well as things related. I love history, and many of my shrines contain historical comparisons to something the subject is, has, or does. Because of these things, I believe that it takes reading/watching anime/manga and playing video games from being just a hobby into an educational process as well. Shrining is a great pastime for learning, meeting new people, and expression.

I've said it many times in many places, but I'll say it again: Amassment is an amazing thing! It's definitely the reason why I came back to the web-designing world. If I never stumbled across this place, I probably would have fallen out once again. However, the people who inspire me here have kept me going, and kept me working hard as well!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Tara wrote:This is a great thing!! Learning not to compare your work to others and be proud of what you can accomplish is stellar. Good for you, Crystal!
Thanks Tara! I still have a long ways to go but there is no reason to let it hold me back.
Megan wrote:I've said it many times in many places, but I'll say it again: Amassment is an amazing thing! It's definitely the reason why I came back to the web-designing world. If I never stumbled across this place, I probably would have fallen out once again. However, the people who inspire me here have kept me going, and kept me working hard as well!
This so much! If not for Amassment I doubt I'd be where I'm at with shrines or even still doing them for that matter. I know I had a couple before joining Amassment but they were just embarrassing.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Megan wrote:I've said it many times in many places, but I'll say it again: Amassment is an amazing thing! It's definitely the reason why I came back to the web-designing world. If I never stumbled across this place, I probably would have fallen out once again. However, the people who inspire me here have kept me going, and kept me working hard as well!
Crystal wrote:This so much! If not for Amassment I doubt I'd be where I'm at with shrines or even still doing them for that matter. I know I had a couple before joining Amassment but they were just embarrassing.
This made me smile a lot. I'm sure I speak for Masao and all of our staffers when I say Amassment is a member-ran community, and you guys are what make it amazing! Masao and I never planned for Amassment to get as big as it's gotten when we first started it back in 2008, but it continues to grow even today, because you guys keep forcing it along with activity, feedback, and ideas; your passion for shrines and willingness to motivate and support each other is just awesome, and I think that last part is what Amassment is -- motivation and support, and that comes from all of you. I've said it before, but you guys are the reason I have continued making shrines all these years, too. <3
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Joining the chorus of Amassment love. I was just about to get out of webdesign and shrines entirely just before I joined here--I thought nobody was making shrines anymore, since most of my shrining friends from back in the day had dropped off the Internet or were doing different stuff. Plus, I wasn't sure if my sites were even worthwhile for anybody to visit anymore. Felt like I was just shouting into a void till I joined and realized what a spectacular body of shrine-makers abided here. :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org