Name meme

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: Name meme

Post by Destinie »

@Kiel- Every time I read "Boys Keep Swinging" I hear Dory from Finding Nemo singing it... /random ^^;;
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I'm procrastinating on site-making so: /brings back old meme

Your collective:
What is your current collective named after? redcrown.net comes from a song lyric in the first Dissidia's theme song; I liked the imagery and when it came time to move domains it was the best name I could think of.

If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change? Elenen was the name of the world in my novel. After a while it didn't feel like a very good domain name. As for my other old domain names, rhapsodos.org came from Genesis Rhapsodos from Crisis Core, and syunikiss.org came from my favorite Malice Mizer song.

If you have any sort of collective subtitle, what is it named after? redcrown.net doesn't have one! Right now "the red crown network" works for me until I think of something else.

Your fansites:

What are your fansites named after?
• 20 years old - named after one of ONE OK ROCK's songs
• Anamnesis - dictionary-hunting found me a word that covered the concept I wanted, it basically means "reminiscence"
• Atropos - named after one of the three Greek goddesses of Fate, the one who cut fate's strings, and a fanfic I read by that name
• bittersweet love - coffee joke (bitter/sweet) + love (romance)
• Fracture - reference to how fragmented and broken Wash is
• Heaven's Requiem - name of a song on one of the Valkyrie Profile albums
• Light of Judgment - Kefka's ultimate attack, I never could think of anything better
• Never Stop Dreaming - taken from one of Mystina's quotes
• Shape the Future - it's the words that come up when you start playing a stage
• uncontrol - named for a Gackt song

Have you ever changed the name of a fansite? If yes, why? You know, I want to say yes, but now that I'm thinking about it I really can't think of any. I would like to change my Kefka site's name because nobody can spell "judgment" but I can't think of anything.

Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online? My dead Grimmjow shrine had a beta name (la pantera y su sombra) before it went online as Untamed.

And more:

How do you tend to pick names for your sites? It really depends. Sometimes I go for songs, sometimes I go for words or phrases I feel aptly describe the subject. Sometimes I end up on thesaurus.com for long periods of time and tear my hair out a lot.

Can you see some sort of naming pattern with your sites? I like one-word names, or names that aren't more than a couple of words. I like names with a lot of imagery. I'm picky about capitalization.

Can you name some fansites or collectives whose names you like? A looooot. For collectives, I always loved oceanflare.net, pacificdusk.org, fenali.net, reflera.org... can you tell I like pretty names. I almost always love fansite names, so there are too many of those to list.

ok ok enough procrastination. back to work for me.
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

Lol Larissa: judgment can be spelled judgment or judgement. Both are technically correct. I remember getting deducted points off an essay in tenth grade Lit for putting an 'e' in judgment, and didn't get them back even after showing the teacher the word in the dictionary. I was so pissed. I like Light of Judgment for a name!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Yeah, I know, but when you pick it for a site name you have to actually pick a spelling, and then you get people constantly misspelling your site title! It gets annoying over the years :swt:

I am pretty attached to it after all this time, though, so maybe I'll end up keeping it if I can't think of anything else.
tonight fate is the
Kotono

Post by Kotono »

Your collective:
  • What is your current collective named after?
    Paper Cranes isn't really named after anything. I came up with it back in 2000 when I was a dorky middle-schooler who wanted a non-specific east Asian-sounding title. I remember thinking that the less specific it was, the longer I could go without getting tired of it (and, for the most part, I was right!). :)
  • If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change?
    I did change names once! My collective was called Origami Wings for about a year before I changed it. Paper Cranes sounded more sophisticated.
  • If you have any sort of collective subtitle, what is it named after?
    I alternated between The Silk Dawn Network and The Shoujo Love Network. The former was ripped from a short-lived Sailor Moon sub-collective I used to run called Silken Aurora. The latter, which I like a little better, is not a yuri reference -- it's because I love shoujo manga.
Your fansites:
  • What are your fansites named after?
    Emerald Star: A friend actually came up with this one. It works because Sailor Jupiter's color is green, and like "Star Power!" or something? Now, it's not my favorite, but the shrine has gained a reputation under this name, so it seems silly to change it now.
    Ace of Hearts: This is my favorite shrine title! In addition to being part of his name (Kaitou "Ace"), the title comes from his last scene in the Sailor V manga when he gives Minako her final love fortune. The card he pulls is the ace of hearts.
    Crimson Mysteria: I picked this because Sailor Pluto's color is deep red and she's mysterious.
    Far from Heaven: Eagle Vision tries desperately to become the Pillar of Cephiro, but he always falls short of this goal. The title just kind of fit.
    Fight Back the Dawn (forthcoming): This is what my eventual senshi/shitennou shrine will be called. It's the idea that pushing back the dawn will lengthen the night, making dreams last longer.
  • Have you ever changed the name of a fansite? If yes, why?
    Emerald Star used to be called Guardian Princess Jupiter's Palace. It was originally part of a shrine collective run by a friend called Guardian Princess Palaces, so go figure. I changed the name after said friend shut her site down.
  • Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online?
    Not really. The ones with beta names never made it to the web. I did toy around with calling Emerald Star Distant Thunder.
And more:
  • How do you tend to pick names for your sites?
    I don't have a method, really. I guess I prefer phrases that refer to storylines or settings (e.g., Ace of Hearts, Fight Back the Dawn) over ones that just describe character attributes (e.g., Emerald Star, Crimson Mysteria). If that makes sense?
  • Can you see some sort of naming pattern with your sites?
    Back when I started making shrines in the late 90s, the ADJECTIVE + NOUN formula was super popular (e.g., Emerald Star, Azure Rain, Crimson Mysteria, Lovely Vibration, etc.). I'm trying to get out of this habit, though.
  • Can you name some fansites or collectives whose names you like?
    Go! my Heaven, Oh So Modern Jezebel, Queen Takes King, and lots more that I'm blanking on right now!
"I am the forests. I am the leaves of the trees. My heartbeat is the breath of the earth." --Sailor Jupiter
twitterflavors.me
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Your collective:
What is your current collective named after?
Paper Scraps came from my habit of drawing on any paper I could find.

If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change?
My collective used to be named The Temple of Slashy Beauty. I have no idea why I ever thought it was a good idea, honestly.

If you have any sort of collective subtitle, what is it named after?
No subtitle.

Your fansites:
What are your fansites named after?
I honestly don't remember if Devil Child was supposed to be a reference to something other than Dante being the son of the demon Sparda.
Broken Mirror is a terrible name for a Vergil shrine, picked when only the first game was out, but I can't find anything more clever today.
Forever Yours is a sappy name for the shipping fanlisting of Sparda/Eva.
Highway to Hell is named after the song of the same name. It seemed fitting for a Dante/Vergil fl.
In Nomine Patris (in the name of the father) is for Sparda, because the entire Devil May Cry series is focused on his sons doing things in his name.
Send in the Clown! was actually suggested by a friend and, since I had nothing, I picked it.

Nyx's Lounge is named after the bar in Ginza, Tokyo in SMT: Nocturne.
The Amala Network is a reference to the network that keeps the teleportation system working in SMT: Nocturne as well as the structure of the universe. Nocturne tells that the universe is but one of many in the all-encompassing Amala Universe, and some being can travel between universes.
DILF because Dojima is one. Rawr.
Facing Destiny is so named because in the game, Roland has to face his own karma and take responsability for his actions.
Emperor & Magician is just Akihiko and Junpei's respective tarot arcanae.
In Death Comes Life is a terrible title I picked because Akinari Kamiki is dying of a genetic disease and learns to deal with that as you build his social link.
Morning Star. Lucifer. Think about it.
Reason because the Demi-Fiend has to pick one to make up the new world (or destroy it entirely). Suggested by a friend.
Sacred Vessels both because that's what "mifunashiro" means and because the Manikins carry inside them the emotions and wishes of the late humanity.
Token Sane One for Gale because he feels that way throughout the first game... although appearances are deceiving.

Grab Bag is my miscellaneous and original stuff site. It's all mixed up in there, so, a grab bag.
Aster is not actually my creation. I think it means star.
La Poupée qui fait non (The doll that shakes her head) is from a song of the same name. It reflect Noa's status as a Doll, built for sexual functions, and the fact that she has yet to hook up with anyone in the comic.

Have you ever changed the name of a fansite? If yes, why?
Sometimes I'm not picking the cleverest names, so I want to change them. Sometimes I do. Facing Destiny will be renamed Dharma, and In Death Comes Life will become Amor Fati. As for Broken Mirror, I still need to find something.

Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online?
I consider a good name the first building block of a site, so nowadays I rarely build a site without deciding on a solid name for it first.

And more:
How do you tend to pick names for your sites?
Foreign languages ftw. I like names in foreign alphabets or with accents, it makes for good decoration in a layout. I like short names too.

Can you see some sort of naming pattern with your sites?
I like to make references to the subject or to religious concepts.

Can you name some fansites or collectives whose names you like?
I really, really like the name Iris Noire. I don't know why.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone