The Dumbest Layout I Ever Made

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Crystal

Re: The Dumbest Layout I Ever Made

Post by Crystal »

Ahh, I guess that makes sense. I remember my Dad making a remark about it the other day but I didn't really understand why.

@Robin: But Times New Romain is awesome! I like using it occasionally for my headers. It has an elegant feel to it I think.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Nooo, Times New Roman is great when used well! It looks like total ass at like, 11px, because it rescales very poorly, but once it's big? It looks just fine!

The problem with Comic Sans is that it has a kiddy personality to it, and people just overuse it for everything regardless of where it's appropriate to have that kiddy voice. On a worksheet for kindergarteners, it makes perfect sense. On a tombstone... ... ...maybe not. It's about tone, really.

Then I also have a personal vendetta against Comic Sans because people think that because it has "Comic" in the name, it should be used for lettering in comics. Now, I won't start a whole discussion on this because you have no idea how much of a lettering nerd I am and I admit on being really hard to please, but let me tell you: trying to read something like Battle Angel Alita when the scanlator chose Comic Sans for the lettering is...quite the experience. Very detailed picture of head exploding, SOUND EFFECT IN COMIC SANS. IT FEELS AS IF A FOUR-YEAR-OLD IS SAYING "BOOM" IN THE BACKGROUND.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal and @Dubs: YAY Times New Roman! (I agree, though, TINY Times New Roman is bootylicious...and not in the good way, LOL)

The funniest thing I ever saw printed in Comic Sans was an "Internet Safety Procedures" document for teachers at the middle school I interned with. Repeat: it was for the TEACHERS, not the students, to read...and it was in Comic Sans. I laughed through the whole document--not only had someone who was not Web-savvy written it, but it was in COMIC SANS like that was supposed to make it eminently more readable. xD

(I bet I still have the file somewhere around here...*digs around in hard drive for LOLs*)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't like Times New Roman because they always asked us to use it for school projects so it reminds me of homework. I guess that's not really the font's fault though.

I'm also not very sensitive to tone in font it seems. Things like that don't occur to me unless I'm purposely trying to look for it, like when I'm picking a font for a site title. The rest of the time fonts are either "cool" or "boring" not really "appropriate" or "inappropriate."