LGBT-friendly games

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: LGBT-friendly games

Post by dubiousdisc »

Tara wrote:I have the same problem with Tomo Life too, which is a real shame considering it's such a neat idea. What makes me even more angry is that the homosexual relationships were TAKEN OUT. It's not like they just weren't there, they were removed completely like a glitch. I'm not a glitch!
TAKEN OUT?!

Well now I can happily move from not supporting to actively boycotting and telling everyone I know not to buy it.
Todd

Post by Todd »

This is my personal stance on it. I am copying this from my Facebook, where I posted for my friends wondering why I haven't jumped on the bandwagon with this game yet.

-------------

After much reading and thought, I've decided I am not going to support Nintendo by buying Tomogachi Life. It's a shame, too, because I would have bought the game otherwise -- many of my straight friends are playing and enjoying it, carefree, and it looks like something I'd enjoy. Unfortunately, it's a life simulator that chooses to ignore that I exist, and their comments regarding it didn't satisfy me. It's different from Fire Emblem: Awakening, which didn't allow same sex marriages, because I was controlling characters, not watching a straight version of myself on screen. I admit, I'm personally offended by this issue, and made a personal choice by not buying the game. I'm not going to ask my friends not to enjoy the game.

I'm also not boycotting Nintendo or anything like that. I still really enjoy my systems and games. I just can't support a game that negatively hits so close to home.
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

@nyxmidnight Man!!! I've finished DDS not too long ago and I don't remember all this queer-friendliness LMFAO.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Argilla x Jinana is super cute and onen of my favorite things in DDS1, but they ruined it by rubbing a lot of Argilla x Roland on the second game. I thought there was a hint of gay in Gale x Lupa but idk, guess they were just real good pals, since Gale gets paired up with Angel in the end.

Atlus always let's us down when we think they're gonna give us gay though. They did this again in Persona 4 with Kanji/Naoto. I get how Naoto might actually not be a lesbian but KANJI?? I've never been so disappointed.
Aaaanyway I read about the situation with Tomodachi Life, but I think it didn't really stir up any discussion here in Brazil because... the 3DS is kind of unpopular??? It's really expensive too. :bleh: I wouldn't play it though. It doesn't matter too much to me that Fire Emblem games don't have same sex ships for the same reason why it wouldn't bother me if a movie didn't feature any gay couples -- not everything has to have gay couples in it anyway. They're usually a great addition though :heh: When the main character is a blank slate for you to fill in though -- like in Persona games, to an extent, and Tomo Life -- the player should to have the freedom to choose because they should feel represented in the game through the main character.

As for Gone Home, like Emma said, it's a really great queer story that I would recomment to anyone, but keep in mind it's an extremely short game. I guess it worked well in this case though, and I had a great sixty-something minutes experience with it.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

dubiousdisc wrote:TAKEN OUT?!

Well now I can happily move from not supporting to actively boycotting and telling everyone I know not to buy it.
Mhm! When it was released in Japan it didn't have the option, but somehow Japanese players were able to hack or modify it somehow so that they could. However, when Nintendo released here in North America, they took it out entirely and made it so that players could not modify the game across the sea should they figure out how the Japanese did it. Which makes me really upset because Nintendo had a chance not to exclude a lot of people, but they made that choice.

I hope in the future Nintendo, and other companies as well, will choose the side of equality.

@Todd: I'm in the same opinion, really! I'm glad lots of people are having fun with it, but I just can't support it. Though in a way it's a good thing, because my wallet is going to be empty once fall hits! :bleh:
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Oops, never mind :ack:
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Not that I was planning to buy Tomodachi Life (I don't even own a 3DS) but if in the future I might have considered, well, now certainly I won't.
holyknight wrote:It doesn't matter too much to me that Fire Emblem games don't have same sex ships for the same reason why it wouldn't bother me if a movie didn't feature any gay couples -- not everything has to have gay couples in it anyway. They're usually a great addition though :heh: When the main character is a blank slate for you to fill in though -- like in Persona games, to an extent, and Tomo Life -- the player should to have the freedom to choose because they should feel represented in the game through the main character.
While I conceptually agree, in Fire Emblem 13 the main character is a You...so I think it does fall in that category. I don't have any issue with the previous FEs for example because none of them features a You character in such a prominent role with so much power over the story. For me it really is about that. I don't take any offense if it's just a story that doesn't have LGBT characters in the same way as I don't take any offense if it's just a story that doesn't have blond characters (although, like some people would rather have stories with blond characters, I'd rather have a story with LGBT characters), but when the character is a You and it is specifically forbidden to date what you want...yeah, you end up in my book of enemies, lol.
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

ooooh so you're the main character in FE:A? I haven't really read too much about it, I was just assuming it followed the same structure from Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones (the only games in the series I've played), where you are essentially playing as a nameless, genderless, voiceless tactician haha. Yeah, in that case, it really does matter, but I still wouldn't exactly boycott it.

I've played Persona 3 and 4 after all, to games that are 50% about getting romantically involved with your friends, and the fact the ships have been strictly heterossexual is something that has bothered me for a long time, even if some of the m/m relationships end up giving faint hints of a distant gay possibility. (I've read that Persona 2 Innocent Sin allows for a gay relationship but that's the exact reason why it never got translated lol). Still, I find them to be really enjoyable, probably for the same reasons why I wouldn't be frustrated with FE:A to boycott it.

I guess, ultimately, there is a really thin line between games like Tomodachi Life and games like FE:A/Persona, that honestly I can't quite figure out. To an extent, it's ok to me that Persona and FE don't feature LGBT characters. But it doesn't seem ok in a game like Tomodachi Life at all. Idk. One thing that's certain is that all of those games would be 500% better if they included the possibility for same sex romance.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I mean, it's still a different thing yet with Fire Emblem and I'm not going to boycott it for so little, but I would think they could have done that...

I'm mostly really pissed at the taking out thing of Tomodachi :( There's a difference between not including and...what they did...That's on a completely different level of horrible. D:
Todd

Post by Todd »

RE: Fire Emblem: Awakening: The point of marriage in the game was to produce the second generation - Lucina and the rest, so I'm not too butt-hurt by not being allowed gay supports in that game, but like DD said, Tomogachi Life is completely different. I'm irate every time I think about it.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Fable 2 + 3 are very LGBT friendly. You can marry whoever you want (and as many people as you want lol. They get pissed when they find out about each other tho!). None of the clothes and appearance-related stuff are gender restricted too which is awesome. The games have their flaws, but they're pretty cheap now and really fun sandbox games.
seek you the sun-cryst, slumb'ring star. in tower on distant shore it dreams.