The Nostalgia Project

Amassment-sponsored challenges, marathons and activities past and present. Join in on the fun today!
Robin
Events Staffer

The Nostalgia Project

Post by Robin »

The Nostalgia Project

In the Amassment Discord recently, we have been talking about modern web design and its trend toward mobile-first and responsive design. For many of us in this community, we remember a time when designs seemed more individual and flexible, allowing designers' creativity to shine through.

To that end, I came up with a simple idea. What if we each looked back in our files and recreated an old favorite layout, just to remember what it was like to create one of these fun and inspired designs--the thrill of learning something new to implement, the pride of having a design you thought of from top to bottom?

Depending on how old the layout is, this might require a lot of retooling/rethinking, or might need just a few tweaks--for instance, the one I'm working on is from 2004 and a lot of Internet stuff doesn't work like it used to (iframes, my beautiful transparent iframes, what have they done to you ;o;). But think of it this way: this just gives us new opportunities to revamp!

So let's get into the particulars:

Event Dates: Sunday, March 17th - Sunday, May 19th
  • Find one of your old layouts you'd like to revisit (the older, the better!)
  • Recreate it using current tools, techniques, and resources
  • Upload the functioning layout (you can use it for one of your existing sites, or just make it its own standalone project)
  • Post the link in this thread when you're finished, so we can visit and enjoy!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Andi

Re: The Nostalgia Project

Post by Andi »

Omg, that is fun! I have a layout from 2005 which I loved and will use it to create next shrine :) I am in!!
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Sounds fun! I will try to do this as well because I need to make some new layouts, and I have a lot of my older layouts from my domaindlx days still saved! :D
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

This is late, but here you go! Just needed to make a couple of tweaks :)

Still relatively unreadable lmao

http://www.blizzara.org/index_mercy.php
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

LOL, no worries, @Stefi , I still haven't even finished mine *facepalm* my brain went on vacation without my permission for like 2 months xD

I think I remember seeing that layout back in the day! Small fonts and gradient backgrounds ftw~~
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Hey so I finally finished my entry for this event...almost seven months late ^_^;

Check it out here: The Nostalgia Project
withinmyworld.org
Janna

Post by Janna »

Robin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am Hey so I finally finished my entry for this event...almost seven months late ^_^;

Just wanted to tell you that I just saw this last night and I read everything through it and LOVED IT. It's so cool and made me remember so much from when I started my first website onwards! Really nostalgic!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Janna wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:14 pm
Robin wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am Hey so I finally finished my entry for this event...almost seven months late ^_^;

Just wanted to tell you that I just saw this last night and I read everything through it and LOVED IT. It's so cool and made me remember so much from when I started my first website onwards! Really nostalgic!
Awesome!! Thank you for checking it out, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it--I had fun putting it together and marveling at how much has changed in almost 20 years of fansite design (even though that fact also makes me feel a bit old XD)
withinmyworld.org