Hi everyone!

New, or have been away from the board for a while? Introduce or reintroduce yourself to us!
Forum rules
New and a bit lost? Check out the Getting Started topic and the Mentor Program!
Janna

Hi everyone!

Post by Janna »

I'm new to Amassment although I've been a fan of all your shrines and organization for years :D

Hi, my name is Janna and I'm 27 years old as we speak. I've been making graphics and creating designs and websites since 2006, which seems like a long time now that I look back :oh: I'm from Valencia (Spain) and I graduated University a year ago (Children Care and Education, I don't know if that's correct, the Spanish degree title is Magisterio Infantil which is how we get to teach 3 to 6 year olds at public schools in Spain :3)

I first started at livejournal, learnt how to create layouts and graphics and then created my first websites at freewebs! Omg how time goes by. I bought my own domain some time after and started getting into fanlistings mainly. Still not shrining. I used to think I wasn't good enough to create my own shrines. I thought I didn't have enough information or skills for some odd reason.

Then I remember I created a fansite for my favourite japanese band, Kagrra,. And that's where I started to shrine I guess! OH I also remember starting a Zack Fair shrine but never made it public because I was so intimidated :cry:

Currently, I'm working on a Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) shrine, after building the fanlisting part of it :3 I also want to convert in shrines my Subvision and Ghost fanlistings because I'm a big Ghost and Tobias Forge fan and fjhdhfsd sorry. I don't want to fangirl just yet.

I plan on creating some shrines to my favourite videogames too! My favourite videogame of all time is Shenmue but, since I'm creating a shrine for it through Ryo, that's not planned. I don't want to say which games I'm shrining for right now, but I think they will be, at least, entertaining :D

Why did I join? I've been working on my site, fanlistings and network in general the past couple of months, more than I have in the past two years. I found myself thinking about websites, how they have gone kind of an unknown and underground thing lately (think about the boom they had years ago wow) and how social networks and youtube kind of killed them. Not the big, professional ones with lots of news, information and people contributing, but the small ones, shrines like ours made for the fun of it and as an excuse to design pretty things...
It made me really sad. I also thought about the rise and decline of fanlistings.
And then I visited Amassment and thought wait a moment, I never joined WHY. And here I am, trying to contribute to the shrining community and to share this hobby with you all! It feels so lonely by myself :sob:

I forgot to add that I'm a big youtube fan, I love discovering interesting channels and even have a vlog and a gameplay channel! They are in Spanish so you won't understand a thing if you don't know the language, but I thought it was an interesting fact!

So as you can see, I'm addicted to web designing, I'm a music lover, a movie enthusiastic and a videogame fan. Thanks for welcoming me to the community, I hope to make friends and contribute to this in some way :heart:

Edited to add: I forgot to say I'm a big Wrestling fan! xD So if any of you share this interest with me, I'll be happy to talk about that! (I doubt it but who knows!).
Last edited by Janna on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Hi everyone!

Post by dubiousdisc »

Hello and welcome!

It's kind of weird how fansites have gone sorta underground, yeah. I think a big part of it has to do with the fact that right now the idea of just making your own website from scratch seems less appealing than having an account on some other site - which is really sad when you think about it; it's such a valuable knowledge to have... And honestly, I think that writing an entire site from scratch is actually easier than working with editing templates on social networks (Tumblr I am markedly looking at you).

A Shenmue shrine, that's going to be super interesting! Good luck with that project!
...What other games are you into, out of curiosity?

Ohhh! I have only listened a little bit (obviously not enough) to Ghost in particular but a lot of my favorite music is around similar genres, so FANGIRL AWAY I deeply understand

I checked on your collective and I just wanted you to know that I love your main header with the sky and the animated piece. It looks amazing.

Also I'm always happy to see a fellow European on board! I'm from Italy myself, although I no longer live there. I've never been to Spain in spite of the vicinity but I'm planning to rectify that in a future trip.

Welcome aboard, it will be great to have you around :heart:
Janna

Post by Janna »

Oh my, I'm so nervous :swt2: I love your network, I'm always browsing it in awe of your amazing skills! Thank you for the warm welcome, I'm already loving it here!

What other games am I into hmm... I love the Sims franchise, I'm a total fan of Sims 1 and 2 haha! I also love Nintendo, so everything Pokemon is my thing! Also Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc. I LOVE Silent Hill. My love for that series is gigantic. I can't even start to put it into words :pale2:
I also love fighting games, the Soul Edge series is my favourite! OH and I've been really into Ace Attorney lately! I think I'm about to finish the 4th? I think.

I play games with my boyfriend (well, I also like to look while he plays haha) and so I love the Metal Gear series so much argh, even though I can't play too much because I get all nervous and just throw the controller at him! Just like with Silent Hill haha. And I love Oblivion and Skyrim, too. We don't have the money to buy any new systems, so the latest console we have is the Xbox 360, while we drool over what's new in the gaming scene.

Other games I enjoy are RPGs, Final Fantasy obviously but my favourite, besides FFVIII, is FF Tactics Advance! I have a sweet spot for it :inlove: I also enjoy the Phantasy Star series and I like many, many PC games to make a list, but my favourite besides Sims, is The Nations, which I don't think many people will know. OH and The Longest Journey. Now I want to create a shrine for it omg why.

If you ever come to Spain, I hope you'll have a great time and won't encounter too many idiots around D: The country is beautiful, just not everyone is as beautiful as the country itself :bleh:

Yes, fansite making has gone downhill and I can't understand why. Sure, many people from back when it got popular have changed, moved on with their lives, but I have too and still get the urge to design, customize, nerd about sites haha! I also think it's valuable to be able to create sites out of nowhere... It's magic!

Oh my, you like Ghost? I think I'm going to fall from the chair right now! It's become my favourite band for obvious reasons haha. I hope to be able to see them live someday, if I ever get a job (believe me it's crazy here to find one) I'll be sure to save up and go see them in the name of all things precious xD

And thank you for your kind words about my design! I remember when I came back to web designing and I had so much fun creating my first design after years, so it makes me happy that you think it looks good :heart: I've been thinking of creating a new design for it but I can't decide, I like it a lot! Maybe I'll just change some things around to freshen it up a bit!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Welcome, Janna! Your network is so pretty (love that animated GIF on your index page!) :D I'm glad you're reviving your interests and getting back into the swing of things--hey, maybe we can all help individualized fansites stage a comeback!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Janna

Post by Janna »

Robin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 pm Welcome, Janna! Your network is so pretty (love that animated GIF on your index page!) :D I'm glad you're reviving your interests and getting back into the swing of things--hey, maybe we can all help individualized fansites stage a comeback!
Thanks! It makes me really happy that you like my header and animated gif haha! This way it's hard to change the layout :content:

I don't know if fansites will have a comeback... Young people these days are worried about other stuff and don't really have the focus or want to learn. It's as if internet doesn't mean the same anymore!

Also because people are less and less used to reading nowadays, so presenting sites full of text to them is kind of not their thing? They would rather watch a video or read a wiki, while I love fansites to see people's insights and theories on things (specially Silent Hill, I love Silent Hill fansites).

I hope to do many things while I'm here!

Also, Robin, I love your design. I was just browsing it last night and thought you were pretty interesting! What a coincidende :heart:
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Janna wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 am Thanks! It makes me really happy that you like my header and animated gif haha! This way it's hard to change the layout :content:

I don't know if fansites will have a comeback... Young people these days are worried about other stuff and don't really have the focus or want to learn. It's as if internet doesn't mean the same anymore!

Also because people are less and less used to reading nowadays, so presenting sites full of text to them is kind of not their thing? They would rather watch a video or read a wiki, while I love fansites to see people's insights and theories on things (specially Silent Hill, I love Silent Hill fansites).
Yeah, many fandom-centric works are now done via social media now (fansite-like things especially are more likely to be found on Tumblr or on WordPress-powered blogs). Given the amount of analytic text I see on some fandom posts through Tumblr, though, there are still plenty of people willing to share and read written thoughts on a fictional medium...it's just taken on a slightly different, easier to update form, with less emphasis on having to know how to code ALL the things (and potentially get discouraged). I think there are things to love about both approaches--I can quickly get into the meat of a fandom through blogs/Tumblrs and see at a glance what others are thinking and saying, but I can also code a site from the ground up and house my own thoughts about it too! (which is good because I'm often shy about adding my commentary to actual Tumblr posts, lol)
Janna wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 am Also, Robin, I love your design. I was just browsing it last night and thought you were pretty interesting! What a coincidende :heart:
Aww thank you! :D This latest domain design was super challenging at first but it turned out unexpectedly awesome! (YAY for tutorials that make sense!! LOL)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Janna

Post by Janna »

Robin wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:02 am Aww thank you! :D This latest domain design was super challenging at first but it turned out unexpectedly awesome! (YAY for tutorials that make sense!! LOL)
It's funny because I was just looking at Parallax stuff the other day and it made my head implode so I just forgot all about it because I couldn't understand a thing :oh: And when I saw your site last night I was clapping like a mad man at it xD
Someday I hope to find a way to improve my coding, for now, my latest site (the Subvision shrine) is in HTML5 (except some center tags I needed to use because I couldn't find out how to center the images and dfjdjf and maybe other itty bitty things~) and I would convert all my sites to HTML5 but I think it's easier to do that from scratch once I change layouts :eyes:

Also, yes, Tumblr fans offer great deals of info too in a way that's easier to use without having to code so much, you are right. For example, I'm in the Ghost fandom and Tumblr is the cradle of everything hahaha! But it's just me being overprotective with fansites and fanlistings and I get all worked up when I see people not caring about them :cry:
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

*tackles Janna

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiii I herd u liek Silent Hill :eyes:

BUT YEAH welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll like it here! There is nothing quite like coding an entire site to your beloved fandom thing, and I am sad that newer, younger fans don't get to experience this. I'm quite salty at Tumblr for that, actually. And not just because Tumblr, on top of having the worst of puritanical fandom culture, is the shittiest coded website on the entire Internet.

... oops I ranted again. Sorry about that! Welcome again, and do not hesitate if you have coding questions! I hope we can all mutually inspire each others to make better websites.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Janna

Post by Janna »

nyxmidnight wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:49 pm *tackles Janna

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiii I herd u liek Silent Hill :eyes:

BUT YEAH welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll like it here! There is nothing quite like coding an entire site to your beloved fandom thing, and I am sad that newer, younger fans don't get to experience this. I'm quite salty at Tumblr for that, actually. And not just because Tumblr, on top of having the worst of puritanical fandom culture, is the shittiest coded website on the entire Internet.

... oops I ranted again. Sorry about that! Welcome again, and do not hesitate if you have coding questions! I hope we can all mutually inspire each others to make better websites.
EEHHHHH I LOVE SILENT HILL *breathing heavily* Hahaha

Thanks! I already feel like I'm home with you guys. I've longed so much for a place like this and I had it all this time in my favourites :pale2: I'm a bit silly sometimes xD

I have to admit I can't stand how Tumblr works, it gives me anxiety, having to scroll and scroll down so much stuff, most of it flashing or moving and I just can't stand it haha I like to make Tumblr themes but the coding is absurdly difficult! It reminds me of the time I tried to make a blogger theme lol. I prefer Dreamwidth and coding for it. And also I won't use Livejournal anymore, given how they filled it up with advertisements that invade the blogs and how the maintainers don't respect bare basic human rights :oh:

I ramble a lot too, forgive me!
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Don't worry about it! I think all of us here ramble from time to time, we just turn our rambles into shrines :D

Also hi-five "I love Silent Hill but I am too anxious to play it" buddy!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone